Built-in Refigerator: is it worth it?

I've got a dead refrigerator in my kitchen. I've always wanted a built-in fridge because they look so beautiful, but they are so pricey! I need something that has about 28-30 cubic foot capacity (family of 6!). Does anybody have a built-in? Was it worth the price premium? TIA!

I don't have one, but at my old home, we did. We didn't build it that way. The previous owners did. Unfortunately they relied on a more standard sized fridge than we do, so the fridge we wanted to put there (from the home we were moving from) would not fit. For 13 years, I had to deal with a fridge that wasn't compatible with the way I cook (tons of produce). When we ended up with the home we're currently in, it was because of the space for a fridge. We were actually looking for ranch-style homes, but couldn't find any in our price range that allowed for me to choose my own fridge size. Now, we're older and need to get serious about getting rid of stairs. So, we're moving. The home we're moving to does not have the built-in fridge and is a ranch-style. Hopefully, this will be our last move. If you don't plan on selling your home or changing your fridge size, do what makes the main cook happy. If you're the one that does most of the cooking, that's you. If, however, you're thinking you might change homes, keep in mind that limiting fridge size could limit the amount of potential buyers for your home. If your home is a popular style that will be in demand, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's an unusual floor plan or anything that would make it so that a smaller percentage of buyers are going to be interested in it, I wouldn't do it. I, personally, think all appliances and TVs are butt ugly. There's no dressing them up. It doesn't matter what color they are, what age they are, if they're mounted (TVs), built in, etc. I don't like the look. They aren't exactly art. They are just functional unattractive boxes that do a job. That said, I wouldn't want to go without them, because they do what they are supposed to do.

I don't have one, but at my old home, we did. We didn't build it that way. The previous owners did. Unfortunately they relied on a more standard sized fridge than we do, so the fridge we wanted to put there (from the home we were moving from) would not fit. For 13 years, I had to deal with a fridge that wasn't compatible with the way I cook (tons of produce). When we ended up with the home we're currently in, it was because of the space for a fridge. We were actually looking for ranch-style homes, but couldn't find any in our price range that allowed for me to choose my own fridge size. Now, we're older and need to get serious about getting rid of stairs. So, we're moving. The home we're moving to does not have the built-in fridge and is a ranch-style. Hopefully, this will be our last move. If you don't plan on selling your home or changing your fridge size, do what makes the main cook happy. If you're the one that does most of the cooking, that's you. If, however, you're thinking you might change homes, keep in mind that limiting fridge size could limit the amount of potential buyers for your home. If your home is a popular style that will be in demand, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's an unusual floor plan or anything that would make it so that a smaller percentage of buyers are going to be interested in it, I wouldn't do it. I, personally, think all appliances and TVs are butt ugly. There's no dressing them up. It doesn't matter what color they are, what age they are, if they're mounted (TVs), built in, etc. I don't like the look. They aren't exactly art. They are just functional unattractive boxes that do a job. That said, I wouldn't want to go without them, because they do what they are supposed to do.
I cook the way you do, with lots of fresh produce, so having a big fridge is definitely important to me. Thanks for your perspective. I hope you enjoy your new house and that it can be your forever home.

I cook the way you do, with lots of fresh produce, so having a big fridge is definitely important to me. Thanks for your perspective. I hope you enjoy your new house and that it can be your forever home.
Thanks for the good wishes on our new home. :) Fresh produce takes up a lot more room than we expected when we started eating more of (years ago). Closest grocery store that has organic, non-gmo, and "clean" food is 45 minutes away, so we only shop once a week - which stuffs our poor fridge. We actually ended up buying one of those 29 cubic feet flex fridges so that we could use the "flex" part for additional produce (rather than a freezer). Unfortunately, it's taller, wider, and deeper than the fridges most people want. So, if we built it in, it would devalue our home. I like our fridge though. When we had to downsize at the old home, I really struggled in the kitchen. Not only did I not have enough space in the fridge for the way we ate, but our produce didn't last as long, because we didn't have as many crisper drawers. Those crisper drawers do seem to keep things fresh longer than the regular shelves do. We still don't have enough produce drawers, but we've learned to keep apples, carrots, and things that last longer on the regular shelves and the shorter life items like greens and such in the drawers. I'm only feeding 3 most of the time and we go through produce quickly. I can't imagine feeding 6 people. I think I'd have to have 2 fridges! lol

Last edited:
Thanks for the good wishes on our new home. :) Fresh produce takes up a lot more room than we expected when we started eating more of (years ago). Closest grocery store that has organic, non-gmo, and "clean" food is 45 minutes away, so we only shop once a week - which stuffs our poor fridge. We actually ended up buying one of those 29 cubic feet flex fridges so that we could use the "flex" part for additional produce (rather than a freezer). Unfortunately, it's taller, wider, and deeper than the fridges most people want. So, if we built it in, it would devalue our home. I like our fridge though. When we had to downsize at the old home, I really struggled in the kitchen. Not only did I not have enough space in the fridge for the way we ate, but our produce didn't last as long, because we didn't have as many crisper drawers. Those crisper drawers do seem to keep things fresh longer than the regular shelves do. We still don't have enough produce drawers, but we've learned to keep apples, carrots, and things that last longer on the regular shelves and the shorter life items like greens and such in the drawers. I'm only feeding 3 most of the time and we go through produce quickly. I can't imagine feeding 6 people. I think I'd have to have 2 fridges! lol
Those flex fridges are a great idea. Glad to hear you like yours! I keep apples, carrots, zucchini, peppers, mushrooms, on top shelves too. The crisper is for greens, and I try to store my greens wrapped in paper towels to keep the moisture at bay. I do have a garage fridge and a garage freezer. One fridge in the kitchen is definitely not enough for 6 people, no matter how big. I can only imagine how it will be when my kids are super hungry teenagers. We eat all of our meals at home so we're constantly shopping and restocking. Fortunately we don't have to travel 45 minutes for quality groceries. I don’t blame you for only doing that once a week at most.

Those flex fridges are a great idea. Glad to hear you like yours! I keep apples, carrots, zucchini, peppers, mushrooms, on top shelves too. The crisper is for greens, and I try to store my greens wrapped in paper towels to keep the moisture at bay. I do have a garage fridge and a garage freezer. One fridge in the kitchen is definitely not enough for 6 people, no matter how big. I can only imagine how it will be when my kids are super hungry teenagers. We eat all of our meals at home so we're constantly shopping and restocking. Fortunately we don't have to travel 45 minutes for quality groceries. I don’t blame you for only doing that once a week at most.
We only have the one fridge, but we have a deep freeze in the basement. Sounds like you store your produce about the same way I do. Except, I haven't tried the paper towel thing. Our farmer's market just opened up this week and I bought lettuce, kale, chard, and leaf lettuce. I think I'm going to try paper towels. Thanks!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.