building cardio endurance

Michele S

Cathlete
Hi all!

I'm really trying to build up my cardio strength and I know intervals are the way to go. Just wondering, out of all the IMAXes (I have all three), which one is the best place to start.

TIA!:)

I've been watching your thread because I've been trying to improve my cardio endurance as well. I can't speak to the IMAXes because they're completely out of my league, but I've seen real improvements with Cardio Coach. I use the audio workouts on my elliptical trainer but you can easily use them for a treadmill, a stair climber, or even an outdoor run. Maybe one day I'll be able to get through an Imax, too :)

Hey Michele -

Maybe it's a Michele-with-one-L thing! Truthfully, I hate cardio and since having my third baby in May I'm really forcing myself to do it. I've lost all my pg weight, but need to get rid of this little tire that's going around my middle.

I've heard of Cardio Coach. Maybe I'll look into that. Thanks!

Michele

Hi Michele!

Seeing that you are not a fan of cardio you probably are going to HATE my suggestion but I'm going to tell you what it is anyway!:p :7 :7 :7

I have VASTLY improved my cardio endurance through running! I have been a dedicated exerciser for about 4 years now, mostly aerobics of all kinds and ofcourse my cardio endurance has naturally improved over time but NOTHING has helped me like running!

I took up running about 6 months ago. I started on a treadmill and could barely make it 5 mins with out having to take a walking break! Now I have run as far as 5.5 miles outside at a good pace w/o stopping! I have probably made greater cardio gains in the past 6 months alone than in the entire 3.5 years prior that I have been working out!!! It is just an amazing form of cardio!

Okay, there, I've said it! You may now start throwing rocks at the computer screen in protest if you like!;)

Take care!:7

Hi Wendy!

Actually, you're safe. I started running about two months ago!!!:) I'm on a treadmill now so I can get it in during naptime. I've seen some improvement with that, but I still have days where my legs feel like lead! I guess I want to get past that point - of it just feeling like work, work, work! I also hate working my legs (is there a connection there somewhere x( ) and I know that if I started doing more leg work the cardio would probably improve, too!

Thanks for the advice, though! I may throw one rock, though, so watch out!!!;-)

This may sound silly, but I've always thought that running would give me (more) spider veins in my legs. Does anyone know if there's any truth to that? Thanks.

Nancy

I don't know about spider veins, but it kills my hips when I jog on my treadmill. The really bad part it is, I actually LOVE IT! I never ran more than a mile my whole life, now I can run 4 without stopping, probably more if my hips would allow it. I know that doesn't seem like much to some of the more athletic posters, but to me that's practically a marathon. I basically built up to it by walking for 10 minutes, jogging for 2; walking for 9 minutes, jogging for 3; walking for 8 minutes jogging for 4, etc. until I was running 2 miles, 3 miles, then 4! It took a few months, but it is worth it. Now I am a cardio junkie and can't "get into" my weight workouts anymore. If the IMAX's seem daunting, try the walk/run intervals and you'd be suprised how far you can go. Good luck!

Sally

Michele - I've been running for years and there are STILL days when my legs feel like lead. I either do a short run, or I skip the run and sub something else. Almost everyone I know who runs has those days - so that's not an endurance thing - running is just hard on the body and sometimes your body tells you to take it easy.

Sally - if you're able, you might want to try running outdoors instead of on a treadmill. A treadmill is not a natural running motion and a lot of people feel pain when they run on them.

I'd vote for IMAX 2. Step routines are very basic/easy to master, and the intervals are great. IMAX 3 has much more difficult step routines, and the rests between intervals are MUCH shorter.

Thanks, everyone, for all the info and advice!

I'm going to keep at the running, start doing a little more "real" strength work for my legs, and start adding in some IMAX.

I agree with the running becoming addicting. I started out just wanting to get in a quick 30-minute workout and now feel lost if I go a day or two without it. As soon as I'm able, I'm taking it outside, which I'm sure will help wonders!
:) :) :)

What really helped me was MIC. I started with warm up then low impact section, the gradually added on until I could do the step portion. I also think IMAX2 is tons of fun to keep you motiviated to move for about an hour.

Hello,

I agree with most people on this forum that running is great for building cardio. But MIC is fantastic if you don't like running. I have IMAX1 and I like that too, BodyMax, Cardio Kick and Circuit Max (my DVDs are older). Do all of them at some point during the week and you will definitely improve.

Yen

Out of the Imaxes, I would do Imax 2 first -then Imax, then Imax 3. But if you have Low Max - I think Low Max is a great place to start. Low max has the least intense interval portions, and it's longer in duration - great for cardio endurance.

Nancy,

This isn't scientific, but I remember reading somewhere that standing for long periods (such as while working) is what is bad for varicose veins. Walking or running, where the blood is pumping through the legs, is actually good for preventing the veins.

I could be wrong!

Christine

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.