build strength and THEN lose fat or vice versa?

Cbelle

Cathlete
I'm trying to put together a 3 month rotation and am wondering what ya'll think on this subject. SHould I build the muscle with S&H type workouts and then lean it up with endurance or should I lean up with the endurance and then build the muscle after?

I'm also trying to lean out first before tackling a S&H rotation for muscle building. I'm using the CTX series.

Heidi

Someone correct me if I'm wrong..but from what I've been reading you have to 1) be in a caloric deficit to lean out, 2) be in a caloric surplus to gain muscle.

So, in a 3 month rotation..I'm thinking it might be beneficial to do month 1 lean out..then go for muscle gain in month 2 where you might potentially gain some fat from the caloric surplus...then lean out again in month 3..? I have the same goals as you so if anyone has any thoughts.. I'm also still struggling with the whole caloric surplus idea if anyone has any thoughts on that too..

It depends on when you want to be your leanest and how much muscle you want at that time.

If you are happy with the amount of muscle you have NOW -- then I'd say try a fat loss rotation first. If you want to be at your leanest for summer -- then I'd say try a fat loss rotation first.

If you are NOT happy with the amount of muscle you have NOW -- then I'd suggest a muscle building rotation. For most people, the approach that works best is: build muscle and then cut the fat. I don't know a bodybuilder who *doesn't* follow that kind of cycle.

Cutting fat *does* require a caloric deficit (athough I would suggest staggering rather than a sustained calorie deficit). It is difficult to build muscle and cut fat at the same time for this reason. It is also difficult to keep from LOSING muscle for this reason. That is why a "build-first and THEN cut" works better. But, again, it depends on when you want to be the most cut and whether you currently have enough muscle.

Shonie

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world" - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=6&uid=3655618&

I'd say do resistance training, but DON'T increase your calorie intake. Resistance training will increase your metabolism somewhat, and intense resistance training will keep your metabolism up for a while after the workout (24 hours or so). It will also make you stronger so you can put more 'oomph' into your cardio workouts (do interval cardio for the best bang for your buck).

>For most people,
>the approach that works best is: build muscle and then cut
>the fat. I don't know a bodybuilder who *doesn't* follow that
>kind of cycle.

This is how I've been training since the beginning -- bulking cycle, leaning cycle, maintenance, in that order -- and it has worked very well for me. I find maintenance the hardest, leaning out a close second. Still, it is mentally more manageable than trying to do it all at one time. I have NEVER built muscle on a calorie deficit. Believe me, I've tried. Didn't work. I only got skinny. And weak. :( I'd follow Shonie's advice, as always. After all, this is how she looks:
http://home.comcast.net/~annepely/shonie.jpg

Just my HALF CENT. ;-)

Pinky

Yeah. If youre gonna talk the talk, then you should walk the walk, I'd say.;)

I hated to put so much into workouts & not "look" like I worked out that hard. So, I have definitely decided to take Shonies advice & see what happens. I am a lot more solid & have denser biceps than before.

I'll definitely post my progress after a while.:)

So in a 3-6 month period, what sort of rotation would you suggest to accomplish this "build then lean out" strategy? also what sort of diet/calories?

Kathryn -

Just curious as to what your hands-on practical experience is with this topic. We see Shonie's pics for her results - would you like to share yours?

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." Mark Twain ;-)

OH YEAH!!! Listen to what Shonie says. That girl walks the walk, talks the talk and has got the pics with the smokin' guns to prove she is walkin and talkin in the language that I, for one, want to hear! My girl Pinky does as well. So when theses ladies "speak" make sure to pay attention! Sometime I will post pictures but for now I will say that I like to add some muscle and then lean out a bit. I am always on the lean side but after a "bulk" phase it is nice to see everything POP in the lean phase! I totally agree with Pinky that maintenance is the hardest and quite the pain in the arse!:eek: Right now I am trying to add some muscle mass without adding other mass if you know what I mean. I want to go to the lean "popping out" phase just in time for summer!:)

I am trying this process for the first time right now. I began the leaning out process on Monday as I am happy with my muscle right now.

We'll see what happens.

Thanks, Shonie

I agree - they have proof that what they say works. It's one thing to recite stuff out of books, but quite another to have actual experience.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." Mark Twain ;-)

>Kathryn -
>
>Just curious as to what your hands-on practical experience is
>with this topic. We see Shonie's pics for her results - would
>you like to share yours?

My practical experience on this particular topic comes from my workout days in grad school, when I did no cardio, just weights, and lost body fat. It doesn't apply to my current rotation, which is kind of lame, since I haven't been working out for any particular goal, and rather sporadically for a while. Currently, I'd say I'm somewhere between 'before' and 'after.' I'm hoping to get closer to the 'after' by the end of summer.

My theoretical knowledge comes from lots of readiing, as well as conversations with bodybuilding types (those who compete as well as those who do it just for fun).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.