Buff Badgers Week of the New Year

kaykay

Cathlete
Hi guys. Wishing you a Happy New Year. No workout in yet today but I am deciding which Xtrain workout to do. How about you?

Hi Karen! Today's workout was All Out Low Hiit. There is definitely no dread factor in that workout at all. It works the legs pretty good but it is definitely not as intense as something like After Burn or the other workouts in the LIC series. I really like it because some days you just don't feel like jumping, etc.

I started a thread yesterday so I just cut and paste my comments below to add to this thread.:D HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Hello everyone! I had a great time visiting with my family and friends during the holidays. I was away for 8 days so it felt good to be able to get up and workout this morning. I walked 45 minutes on the elliptical. My eating was not good during the holidays, but the food sure was good. I don't feel too guilty because I know that I don't eat desserts and drink tea/soda and other starchy stuff the way I did last week. Back to reality.

I hope everyone had a great holiday as well. DH and I are celebrating our 18th wedding anniversary today. We are going out to dinner at Ruth's Chris so I am looking forward to that.

Has anyone tried some of the new workouts yet? My mail was on hold so I am hoping it is in the stack that will be delivered today. I am very excited. I don't have a plan for a rotation but I do look forward to giving them a try.

Happy New Year everyone and be safe!

Heartymax, sorry I didn't see the post from yesterday. I did look, I guess not close enough. Glad you had a good time with family and got to eat some good food to boot. I tired chest/back/shoulders today, thought I would try to follow the 90 day rotation. It's been a long time since I did body part workouts. This is a good one. It goes by fast and has a lot of different moves put together in different ways. Glad you liked low impact one. I will have to try that one soon. The core work 1 was traditional Cathe, i thought.

Happy Anniversary and enjoy your dinner.

Karen---I am trying to figure out what rotation to do. I have sit down and look at the book. Have you ever done 1RM. Well, I did STS without so I am probably going to "wing it" again and just make sure I am pushing myself to go heavier than I normally would. Anniversary dinner was great! I had a glass of wine so that was my final treat of the new year:D.

Happy New Year!!

My workout for Saturday was a combination of things. In cardio supersets I did one round of each set; Afterburn I did one round of each set; and then I did one round of the step portion from Athletic Training. Sunday I did High Reps and it felt great to do a complete weight workout and Monday I did CrossFire. I took today as a rest day.

Last night DH and I went to dinner for New Years Eve and then over to some friends for a while and then home in time to see the ball drop and brought in the new year at home.

I was happy to get XTrain on New Year's Eve. I haven't done any of the workouts yet. I always like to preview them first so I have an idea what I'll be doing. I started looking at the book. Can't wait to try them though.

It was nice having all this time off during the holidays but I do have to say it will be nice to get back to reality and a normal schedule. Eating has been a little off track but ready to get back on track.

Wishing everyone a happy, healthy and safe 2013!!

Take Care!
Brenda

Today's workout was Chest, Shoulders and Back. I like the fact that the book tells you how much weight Cathe is lifted. That gives me a pretty good idea of what I should be doing since I never did my 1RM. There were a few that I knew I needed to go lighter. Chest Flys bother my shoulder if I go to heavy so I like to stick with 15's for those. This workout moves really fast without the rest breaks.

Brenda---what an awesome mixed workout you created. Don't mention out of whack eating. I was afraid to step on the scale when i returned from being away for 8 days. The damage is not to bad as I know good eating and my workouts will get things back to normal by the end of the week or definitely next week.

Morning Ladies,

I got in Kick Start Your Metabolism on Sunday, and that is about all that I did for exercises. :rolleyes: Now that all the running around and cooking are finished, I should be able to get back into the workout routine.

We had a great New Years Eve, and I cooked for about 14 people. Lot's of fun.

Will be starting a Combat rotation on Monday, so that will take up the next 60 days. :D

Karen, Congrats on the XTrain. Will be interested in how you like the workouts. ;)

heartymax, Another one that has gotten XTrain and having some fun I see. :D My eating was ok during the holidays, I didn't gain weight so that is a plus. But I feel like a very lazy exerciser. ;)

Brenda, Sounds like a very nice New Years Eve. Congrats on your XTrain also.

All you XTrainers have a great time with the new workouts. Just make sure that you give me some details. :D

Have a great day!

Good Afternoon,

Today I did Cardio Leg Blast and Hard Strikes premix 16 which is only the cardio, not the condition part. I didn't think Cardio Leg Blast was as difficult as the STS plyo legs. Was expecting something much harder. The Hardstrikes was fun.

Laurie, nice job on not gaining any weight. I am not even going to get oon the scale. That is a lot of people to cook for on New Years. Was it friends or family or both? Have fun with your Combat rotation. Let me know how you like it. Did you try a Turbo Fire workout yet?

Heartymax, how did you like the workout? It looks like we did the same workout. I like that she tells the weights also. I just use what she uses and it seems right for me.

Brenda, nice premix of workouts. I don't mix and match very well. You seem to have that down pat. Glad you had a nice New Years Eve. Sounds like it was relaxing but fun. Let me know what you think of all the Xtrain workouts. It's fun to hear what everyone thinks.

Have an awesome rest of the day.

Good Afternoon!

This morning I did SuperCuts & Core1 from XTrain.....LOVED IT! The time went by so fast. I liked the compound exercises... some new ones. I previewed Hard Strikes last night and that looks like fun. Might do that one tomorrow. :)

Heartymax - Will be nice to hear everyone's input on the new workouts. I made the mistake of stepping on the scale this morning. I know a big part of my issue is water retention.

Laurie - I bet it'll feel good to get back into a workout routine. A combat rotation..... sounds interesting... can't wait to hear more about it. When I got XTrain, I felt like a little kid in a candy store. :)

Karen - Are you going to get some boxing gloves for Hard Strikes? I heard people found them online at Amazon and ebay for around $20. The cardio part looked fun. Haven't attempted any of the 100 rep challenges yet though. Maybe once I do an actual rotation then maybe I will.

Have a great day!

Brenda

Happy New Year, everyone!

I went to a wedding over the weekend, which was a ton of fun. I got to catch up with some of my very closest friends from college. The poor bride and groom were sick with the flu (cold flu, not stomach, thank God...), but they got through the day and seemed very happy.

I got XTrain on New Year's Eve and was planning on starting the 90 Day Undulating Rotation yesterday, but woke up with the aforementioned flu. DH is sick with it too, and we're both miserable. Lots of body aches, chills, etc. I'm really bummed, because I keep reading all these rave reviews of the workouts on VF. I have watched a lot of them while lying around, and they look fantastic.

I probably won't check in again until I can work out. I just wanted to pop in and say hi :) It would be nice to get in gentle workout tomorrow, but I can barely breathe normally at this point without coughing, so... we'll see.

Have a great day and week!

Morning Ladies,

Tried out one of the Combat workouts last night with Combat 30, and used my weighted gloves. Totally enjoyed the workout. Has a little bit of learning curve for me, they do move fast on some things. Nothing that I couldn't handle in the future with repetition. My hr was in the zone for 21 min, and 7 min was above the zone. That means that only 2 min was in the lowest. I felt great about that. Feeling my shoulders, back and legs. :D

Karen, What are the conditioning drills in Hard Strikes like? Do you do any boxing/kickboxing in those? All of the people we invited where our friends, and this is pretty much the one day of the year that we are all together. I have not tried a Turbo Fire workout yet, plan on doing that rotation after I'm finished with the Combat rotation. ;) So far the first workout was a ton of fun. Nothing complicated at all, but you can really put power into the moves.

Brenda, I really feel like a kid in a candy store, since I also received Turbo Fire. :D I'm pretty much set up with rotations for the full year. The first Combat workout was all punching and kicking. I think they said that there where 243 kicks in just a 5 min. segment. :eek: I LOVED it! So Super Cuts is a total body compound workout?

Sam, Sorry to hear that you have this crud! :( That sounds a lot like what our whole house went through, and it was interesting how quickly it came on us. Take your time with the workouts, it was really hard for me to get through the coughing fits.

Have a great day!

Good Morning,

Today I did Bi's and Tri's - Xtrain of course and a 4.5 mile run on the trails. Boy Cathe sure has strong triceps. I can't do anywhere near for tri's as she does. I tried and failed miserably.

Laurie, the Combat sounds like a good workout especially being in your zone or above for so much of it. I don't think you would like Hardstrikes that much unless you like hi/lo and boxing. Not much kicking. I didn't do the conditioning drills but the book says stuff like bear crawl press, bicep curl balance, plank shoulder snatch, sit up jab & strike, sit up speed bag arms an situp/push up combo...

Sam, take care and get well soon.

Brenda, that is the workout I am looking forward to. I am not getting the pink gloves, I just used my cathe weighted gloves. I haven't d one any 100 rep challenges yet either. Thinking of the hip thrust challenge with my leg workout on Sun.

Have a great day.

Good Afternoon Ladies!!

This morning I did HardStrikes with 2 tabatas. I LOVED IT!! It didn't have a ton of kicking in it so that was good for my leg. The tabatas I added on really made my arms/shoulders feel spent. I obviously didn't have a punching bag for the tabatas and just pretended. :)

Sam - Glad you had a great time at the wedding. Sorry to hear that you and DH are down with the flu. Hope you get better soon. My DH was complaining this morning that he felt tired, weak, and achy I hope he's not getting the flu.

Laurie - The combat workout you did sounds fun. I would consider SuperCuts a total body compound workout. She works the legs really good and majority of the time there is some upper body with it but my it's not like my upper body felt spend from it. I really liked it though.

Karen - When I did HardStrikes this morning I used my old Tae Bo balls. I was afraid my 1lb weight gloves was going to be too much. The way my arms feel I'm glad I stuck with the Tae Bo balls. I really liked it though.

Enjoy the rest of your day!!
Brenda

Morning Ladies,

Yesterday I tried out Combat Hiit Power. :eek: This one was tough, and it incorporated body weight exercise, plyo and weights. Most of the weight work was compound. This was a 30 min. workout, and again I was in the zone for most of the workout, and at times over the zone. The weight work is not done at a fast pace, which was nice. I used 12lb weights, and had to go down to 10lbs for the last round of shoulder presses. The Plyo was mostly things that I have done before, but one move was modified. One thing I did like was the instructor started the plyo move slow and controlled, then the speed increased. Can really feel my whole body this morning. :D

Karen, So Hard Strikes might be more in line with Cardio Kicks. ;) I like that workout, but hate the hi/lo in it. ;) So it isn't like the hi/lo in the Peak workouts? Cathe also uses a lot of weight for chest work. I have never been able to match her on those either. I think the body part that I can match her on is back. :)

Brenda, I'm glad that you loved that workout. So it is more a boxing workout, which is something that I enjoy also. The hi/lo part is what I am leary of. I've only done 2 of the Combat workouts, and have been happy so far.

Have a great weekend!

Today I did Xtrain ride. Tough workout.

Laurie, glad you are enjoying the combat workouts. I am going to have to look on youtube for some clips of it. The hi/lo is a lot of jumping jacks and jump ropes and hops on one leg etc. I just like more kicking punching combos that punching/jumping combos.

Brenda, so the Tabata drills work well without the bag? Good to know. Glad you are enjoying the new workouts.

Enjoy your day.

I had internet problems yesterday so I didn't get to post.

Yesterday was the cardio part of Hard Strikes and then 20 minutes on the ellipitcal. I realized that the cardio segment is not chaptered from the warm up so when I was previewing it just skipped that part. It wasn't bad. I can't remember who mentioned they used wrist weights since they didn't have boxing gloves. I used by 1 1/2 pounds wrist weights and it definitely add some intensity to the workout with all the jab/cross.

Today's workout was Bi's and Tri's. I nearly fainted when I saw 35lb. dumbell for the overhead extensions. I quickly reached for my 25lbs. Cathe has some strong triceps to pump out 35's. WOW===that woman is a champion.

Karen---glad you like ride. I don't have that one. I don't have a spinning bike. Those workouts look tough. I look forward to checking out the other workouts over the next few days.

Happy Friday!!

This morning I did a timesaver premix from Chest, back, and shoulders and then a timesave premix from Bi's & tri's. Entire upper body felt worked. I liked it that the exercises were always different and working the muscle in a different way.

Laurie - Glad to hear that the combat workouts have been real good so far. I thought hardstrikes was more boxing. I loved all the punching. :)

Karen - Yep, the tabata in HardStrike worked fine without a bag. I think having a bag would be nice but I wouldn't spend the money on a punching bag unless I really got into boxing. Glad you like Ride.

Heartymax - I agree, I dropped my jaw when Cathe used 35's on her tri's I went for my 25's as well. She truly is a champion!!

In case I'm not on over the weekend, everyone have a great one!

Take Care!
Brenda

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.