Breast feeding & exercise

H

Hazel

Hi all. It's been a long week here at the Porter household. Lauren seemed (to my completely uneducated eye, as it turned out) to be doing really well with breastfeeding, but when we took her to her two-week check up, she hadn't yet regained her birth weight. At her weigh in three days later, she'd actually lost another ounce. So the lactation nurse started us on supplemental feedings and gave me all sorts of things to do to help increase my milk supply (more frequent feedings, pumping after feedings, fenugreek, higher fat foods (nuts, avocados, milkshakes, etc.). Luckily, Lauren appears to be back on track -- she'd regained her birth weight by this past Monday and I've been able to pump a 1-3 ounces after each feeding.

Here's my question. I had started working out again about ten days after delivery and was feeling pretty good about it. But with this, the nurse said to get lots of rest, and so I stopped working out for a week. Now I'd like to get back into it, but I'm afraid I'll affect my milk supply. Is this a legitimate concern? Am I OK as long as I adjust my calorie intake to meet the deficit exercise would create? I know others must exercise while breastfeeding successfully. I don't want to do anything radical -- just 30 or 45 minutes a day while Lauren naps.

Thanks for any tips and advice anyone can give.

Hazel

milk supply

Hi Hazel,
I'm no expert-- just a breastfeeding mom who reads everything she can get her hands on on the topic. From what I have read, your supply is establishing itself now and will even out in the next few weeks. I have also read that SOME mothers have reported a decrease in breast milk production if they work out more than two days a week. I have not noticed this decrease, nor has anyone else I know. I try to work out 4 days a week, reasonably intensely, and I still have plenty of milk. In fact, I had way too much and finally now that James is three months old, my supply matches his demand.

Maybe you should cut down a bit until you feel you're in the clear-- just go for walks and do some light toning stuff. Just an idea. But since you're doing all this stuff to increase your supply, it could be awhile before it evens out. I hope it does-- but it sounds like you're on the right track now with Lauren gaining weight.
Also, I know some babies don't like the taste of milk right after you work out because the lactic acid that builds up makes it taste sour. You might want to experiment with this and timing feedings. It doesn't bother my baby at all, but then all that bothers him is Thai food. :)

If you start slow and monitor your supply closely, you could build up frequency and intensity. I know lots of people breastfeed and exercise successfully. Just keep an eye on yourself and listen to your body. I think you'll know if you're overdoing it.
and gosh-- you're SUPPOSED to eat all that fantastic high-fat food. Load up on the avocadoes and Ben and Jerry's...

good luck.
Sara

Breastfeeding

Hi Hazel,

There is really no scientifically documented evidence that moderate exercise will affect your milk supply. It's pretty much a supply and demand thing right now for you and little Lauren. According to Dr. James Clapp, an internationally recognized expert in the field of perinatal fitness, "Although initially an area of legitimate concern, work over the last decade supports the view that beginning or continuing a regular exercise regimen during lactation does not have adverse effects on milk production or infant growth if the woman is healthy and not restricting her caloric intake unduly. This view is supported by a large volume of experimental findings gathered about breastfeeding women who did many forms of exercise at moderate to high intensities, of both short and long periods, as frequently as 6 times oer week."

Just remember to keep yourself well hydrated. That means that your urine should be clear.

Keep us posted. You sound like you're doing great.

Sheila

question

I started working out when my first was 4 weeks old. I felt great but when I started running at that time I started bleeding all over again. I decided to give myself the full 6 weeks with my second before I resumed my workouts. Is it possible that you just started working out too soon after having Lauren? I don't know the answer to this but I thought I would pose the question.

From my experience, breast milk is definitely supply vs. demand and sometimes those little babies get so tired from nursing that they fall asleep before they finish eating enough. I would just keep pumping extra or possibly feed her more frequently.

I'm currently doing this

Hi, I'm breastfeeding currently, my son is 3 1/2 months old. I waited 8 weeks before starting videos again but I had a c-sect. It seemed to me that it took 2 - 2 1/2 months for my milk supply to fully settle in and that correlated with the books I have. Rest is the key at least for me, that is why I usually have more in the mornings. Keep on with those afternoon naps. I'm starting to watch what I eat now like cutting out most sweets and junk food but if I'm dying I don't deny myself, listen to your body.
Traci'

me too!

I am in hte same boat. Light exercise and nursing. I have found no adverse effects on milk supply with exercise nor have I ever experienced the lactic acid build up causing baby to not like breast milk after exercise. Although I have read through growth spurts sleep patterns etc. and there this also. I do know that baby's needs vary are rough days in there where it seems like they can't get enough and days when you are dying because they are sleeping through a usual feeding. You are doing the right thing by following your Dr advice AND sticking with nursing and exercise. Just keep up the good work! BTW I am doing the same thing and Zak weighed over his B WT at one week and continues to gain. Every baby and Mom have different needs, continue to listen to what is going on with hte 2 of you and I am sure it will all even out and you will be able to exercise.

I breastfed almost 2 years...

my son was born via emergency c-section, and 3 weeks later I was back in the pool, and doing the stairmaster...I started back with videos at about 5 weeks. I didn't have any problems. Sometimes I stopped during my workouts to feed (I would always do it before anyway) but I had an abundant milk supply and I turned 40 about 8 months after my son was born, and continued to breastfeed for about another 15 months after that!
Barbara P

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.