Breast Cancer

I am also a supporter of Team Jen! I love your blog and it has really helped me decide on which Cathe workouts fit my style these past few years. You have a wonderful attitude. Several of my family members have survived breast cancer and are doing well. So many new meds and treatments available. I am sending positive vibes as you prepare for surgery and treatment. Wishing you only the best! ((Hugs))

Martha--thank you so much for your wonderful and informative post! So much information! I am creating a Word document with all of this information in it, so I can easily reference it.

You ladies are so wonderful! Thank you!

Just another fan of your blog (and a bit poorer for it) wishing you the strength that I know you have to get you through this.

Jen,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but it sounds like you are a fighter and that is more than half the battle. I have had breast cancer twice - I often say 2 1/2 times because it metastasized to my brain and I want credit for the detour. :) I was fortunate that I was able to continue working and etc. I did have to adjust as far as being kids and sick people, but otherwise, I tried to stay as normal as possible.

Regarding exercise, in the beginning I continued and just listened to my body. On the tough days, I mostly walked or rode my stationary bike. It tired me out a lot so I had to rest a lot, but it also helped me mentally. With chemo, I often started to feel good just in time for the next treatment - on those days, I made sure to get in a great workout. I had the energy and was feeling good.

I have had a lumpectomy and double mastectomy with lymph nodes removed. Both times I had to stop exercising for a time (doctor's orders) and both times, when I started back, I had to go very slowly and use light weights - basically starting over. I do wear a compression garment on my arm (where the lymph nodes were removed) when exercising and when my arm feels heavy, but otherwise I don't wear it. I can do push-ups and etc. - I just had to work up to it. My doctor did say for me not to lift more than 12 to 15 pounds, but I don't know if that is because of the lymph node removal or what. I never asked. I do use more with deadlifts and squats, but not with arm work.

Martha and lily64 gave some very good advice - particularly with the Neulasta shot and Claritin. I used the generic CVS brand and would start taking it 2 days before the shot and 2 to 3 days after the shot. I don't know how it worked, but it worked. I have seen a new armband-thing for the shots now and I don't know anything about those. My experience was with a regular need in my arm. Also, my taste buds were off and I had to adjust my eating. There are cookbooks out there with recipes for all types of issues - nausea, dry mouth, etc. Speaking of dry mouth, use Biotene or something similar to keep your mouth from getting dry and getting sores.

Oh, in case losing your hair is of concern for you, you can try to the cold caps or penguin caps (?). I tried them and they worked well. If you know a place that has dry ice, you can get the caps from Amazon and freeze them yourself. Otherwise, you may have to order the whole kit and etc. which is a little pricey. You may want to ask your facility if they have a freezer for the caps onsite or if they have something similar. The first facility I was at got a freezer AFTER I was done.

Rest when you can, particularly if you have radiation. It does build up and the next thing you know, you are dragging your knuckles - sort of like after one of Cathe's super hard workouts. ;-)

You got this!

Hugs and prayers,
Murphy

Murphy--what an amazing and scary story! Are you cancer-free now? Are you still receiving treatment? I sincerely hope it is gone from you forever.

I do have a question for you. My genetic testing came back negative and the cancer is only in one breast. So now the decision whether to do a double or single mastectomy is my decision. When the cancer returned, was it in the same breast or in the other breast? I have been reading that over the past decade there has been a large increase in double mastectomies when the cancer is only in one breast but the "research" (however seriously you take that) does not support double mastectomies when only one breast is affected unless your genetic testing is positive. My surgeon said she would do whatever I want her to do, but she doesn't believe that just because I have it in one breast I am any more likely than anyone else to get it in the other breast. She also said emotionally/mentally women seem recover better when they only have one breast removed.

I don't know what to do! I actually don't have to make the decision before my surgery (which is next week). She said if I go with a single mastectomy then change my mind, she can take the other breast during reconstruction. All I can say is I do not want to do this again. But at the same time--I would like to have one "real" breast. The things I am reading about reconstruction already make me feel... depressed.

Thank you for more wonderful info and advice. I was not lying about creating my advice document. I created it yesterday and I just added your post to it. I need this info at my fingertips.

Jengolf,

I am "cancer-free" but I am still on Herceptin (I am Her2+ and er/pr -). I will be on Herceptin for a long time - precautionary measures. I too hope it stays gone, thanks.

Regarding the surgery, that is tough. I never wanted the mastectomy. I actually had convinced the doctors to do another lumpectomy on the same breast (the cancer came back in the same breast), but then I told myself to just do the mastectomy because I did not want to worry about cancer every time I had a mammogram (those horrible people at the mammogram place would send me letters after my mammogram, "there was something suspicious with your films and you should follow-up with your doctor." I would freak out each time. (Insert angry face) I hate those people.). I chose to have the other breast done because I did not want a reminder of what I used to be / look like. I thought having both done would help me move forward and not stay in the past. With that said, I do regret having the second one done but only because they also had to remove the nipple. The doctor does inject something (some time of dermal filler) into the nipple area so that through a t-shirt it looks like a nipple, but it isn't. I am not sure if I would have made the same decision if I wasn't so upset and stressed out. The doctor told me to take all the time I needed, but I was so frazzled that I couldn't think and just wanted to be done. I would definitely ask about keeping your nipples. It is something to consider, it's part of your femininity and intimacy. My cancer was right behind the nipple area so she had to go. I don't remember the reason I was given for why the other one had to go. I am not even sure I was listening / heard it.

Side note 1 - that reminds me, make sure you are taking someone with you to your appointments or taking a note pad to write things done. What the doctor says and what you hear may not always match. Write down everything, even the mundane. Chemo brain is real. It will pass, eventually, but it is real and don't be afraid to say it to someone when you are having trouble remembering something - "I have chemo-brain ..." Mommy-brain is real and socially acceptable - chemo-brain is real and should also be socially acceptable.

Side note 2 - if your doctor hasn't mentioned it, ask about chemo-pause. Just be prepared that it may happen, it may not. Just ask if it hasn't been brought up.

Back to the surgery - Double check your insurance and see if you can get the other one done at a later date versus choosing now. I think your doctor's suggestion about doing the other breast - if you choose to do so - during the expander/implant exchange is a great option. It will give you time to think, check things out, see how you feel, etc.

Regarding the recovery. I have to say, it was not hard for me. That was the easiest part. With that said, I actually had an allergic reaction to Arnica (they gave it to me to help the swelling) and that was ugly. I was red and inflamed and etc. I was fine once we realized the problem. The only pain I felt was like the soreness after a chest workout. It was discomfort, but I did not take any pain medicine. I have heard others say the opposite, but for me, I was okay. I did walk a lot and made sure to eat healthy and stay hydrated.

You will probably have drains after the surgery to help rid your body of the extra fluid. Follow your doctor's orders and "drain your drains", keep a log and take care of the area. Oh, if the doctor wants you to sleep upright, get one of those back support pillows with an armrest, a bedrest pillow. I got mine from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. They are usually used for reading or watching TV in bed. https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/s/bedrest-pillow?ta=typeahead&ml=v2

I don't know what state you are in, but contact your state American Cancer Society and ask your doctors for some local agencies. I have met some wonderful people and have been given great information - including on where to get some freebies. Our American Cancer Society gives free wigs and scarves and some other things. We have a great breast cancer resource center that does programs, runs support groups, does girls-night-outs, all kinds of fun things. It really helps.

I don't know remember if you said if you have kids, but Camp Kessem is a one or two week (?) sleep away summer camp for children with a parent diagnosed or who passed away from cancer. It's free and they have camps all over the country. My children did it but didn't like it, they said it made them sad. However, another person we know, and several of the kids at the camp, LOVE IT. They look forward to it and find it helpful. The camp does periodic get-togethers and really try to make it a family atmosphere.

Feel free to ask me anything. That's how I got and still get through it.

Murphy

Murphy, thank you so much for all of the wonderful information. I went to my local American Cancer Society website and I was shocked at all they do offer!

No, my doctor didn't mention chemo-pause (though I did just google it) but she said they would be forcing me into early menopause through hormone blockers. But it looks like chemo-pause is something else. So yay. They gave me an instruction sheet for the drain already and some lanyard that I guess I use with it--I didn't really understand the purpose of it. I thought it was odd they were giving it to me before the surgery. I assume/hope they will give me better info before they discharge me!

I do have children but they are grown. I am thankful of that. My youngest is 23 and she has been incredible emotional support for me. However, if this had happened when I was a single mom that would have been a god-send. What a great program!

Jen - I am so sorry that you have to go through this (((HUGS))) wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery! Take care of yourself.

Last edited:
Jen,

I have loved your posts and your reviews. I am sorry to hear of your cancer and am praying for you. I wish I could do more.

Best,

Beth

@jengollf I am sincerely sorry to read about your diagnosis. Like many others here, I follow your blog and I feel like I know you. You are an inspiration to me and so many others. I wish you the very best with your treatment and recovery.

Sending you positive thoughts on your cancer journey. My sister went through this a few years ago and is doing great. She was seeing a naturopathic doctor during her chemo and radiation. It certainly seemed to give her that extra boost to get through it all, with very few side effects.
Sincerely wishing you the best.
Sherry

Jen, Sending you lots of healing energy and lots of love too! You've got this, we Cathletes are warriors! Big ((((hugs)))) to you!

Sherry

Thanks again everyone. I am home from the hospital now. I am going for walks every day and doing range of motion exercises with my arm. I've also been doing stationary lunges, squats and plie squats. I'll stick with that until I get my drain out then I will add some barre exercises and some of Jessica Smith's YouTube walking workouts. I will definitely lose upper body strength but I can already see that I should be able to do lots of barre and mat workouts and even some step workouts--I'll just take the impact out of them.

Not nearly as bad as I expected. I obviously have a lot more ahead of me but it is good to know the cancer is gone! I actually feel emotionally much better than I did before the mastectomy. Thanks for all of the well wishes and prayers!

Jengolf,

I am "cancer-free" but I am still on Herceptin (I am Her2+ and er/pr -). I will be on Herceptin for a long time - precautionary measures. I too hope it stays gone, thanks.

Feel free to ask me anything. That's how I got and still get through it.

Murphy

Murphy:

I think you are an extraordinary woman and superlative human being. Your empathy, compassion and intelligence radiate through. I hope you continue to be well. And full of wisdom.

Clare

Thanks again everyone. I am home from the hospital now. I am going for walks every day and doing range of motion exercises with my arm. I've also been doing stationary lunges, squats and plie squats. I'll stick with that until I get my drain out then I will add some barre exercises and some of Jessica Smith's YouTube walking workouts. I will definitely lose upper body strength but I can already see that I should be able to do lots of barre and mat workouts and even some step workouts--I'll just take the impact out of them.

Not nearly as bad as I expected. I obviously have a lot more ahead of me but it is good to know the cancer is gone! I actually feel emotionally much better than I did before the mastectomy. Thanks for all of the well wishes and prayers!

Jen:

this is such good news to hear. Wishing you well,

Clare

Sending positive thoughts and prayers as you recover. You have such a great attitude!!!!

Jen,

With sadness, I have just found out! My thought are with you and your family at this time.
I have sent you a message on fb. Lots of love and hug. You are a warrior, no wonder you have asked
when you could lift again;). You will get through this!

flexed-biceps_1f4aa.png

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.