Bread Maker

Nobuko

Cathlete
Hello,
I've been just wondering... Every time I make a loaf of bread in my bread maker, it tasts pretty good but it comes out so dense. Nothing like these commercial bread you get from a store, nice and fluffy... Is it because my bread maker is a cheap one? How does your loaf of bread come out?

The only advice I have is to be sure that the water temperature is right. If it is too hot or too cold, it will cause the yeast to not work properly. I have learned that for my bread to come out really good, the water temperature has to be almost like by body temperature. I check my water the same way I used to check my baby's formula. I run it over my wrist until it gets to a temperature where I barely even tell it is there, not cold and not hot. I'm not sure if this is your problem or not, but just thought I would share.

I came back to add that I almost always use the delayed setting on my bread machine also. For some reason this helps.

Bread machine bread, or any homemade bread, will have a different consistency from commercial bread that has dough conditioners and other strange chemicals in to make if "fluffy." I can't stand store white bread (makes me nauseous), but I like homemade white bread from time to time.

The recipes I use call for milk, instead of water. It's probably OK to use the delayed setting for milk, right? It wouldn't spoil in that short of a time - do you think?

I made white bread the other night. OMG! It was SOOOOOO good! I could have eaten the whole loaf myself. DH said, "This is my favorite of the breads you make". And I was like, "of course - it's the least nutritious." DAMN! Isn't that the way it always is?

My girlfriend gave me her bread machine because she never used it. She said she used it one time. I used it one time and now I never use it either! I guess it is time for me to pass it on again.

Love,

Madonna

I'm not totally sure Donna, but I think the milk will be okay as the delay is just a couple of minutes. You will need to experiment with your particular machine to see what works best, but the water temperature and delayed setting have worked great with mine.

If you haven't tried the Hawaiian Sweet Bread, you need to. It is our absolute favorite.

I've had a bread machine and have been baking bread for a few years now. Here are some things to consider:

Yeast: is it fresh? You should store it in the freezer in a ziplock bag.

Flour: for "white" bread you should be using the bread machine flours, there is a difference.

Water: I hadn't run into a problem with the water temp, my bread machine preheats before mixing.

Lately I just use my machine to mix the bread. I do the final knead and form the loaf using a lof pan. That way I can control the prebake rise time, which will also affect the density of the final product.

If you really get the "bug" on baking bread check out the Baker's Store that King Arthur Flour runs.

Dave

Hi Dave - I have thought about doing that with my bread, too (putting it in the oven to cook). I'm not crazy about the shape the loaf forms when cooked in the bread machine.

What's the process for that? How long do you let it rise? Do you cover with a towel, or put it in your oven to keep it warm? How long do you bake it and at what temperature?

Dave, that sounds great with the preheat before mixing. Mine definitely does not do that. Unless I delay the cycle, it starts mixing as soon as I push the start button.

The texture of the dough makes a difference in the final product. I have baked my own bread for many years. I always use bread flour or buy vital wheat gluten to add to the other flours that I may use. Also making sure you don not omit salt or use to much yeast is important. Having a little more fat and eggs will make a moister loaf as a final product. When kneading check and see if the dough forms a smooth ball. If it separates and is lumpy you need to add water about a tsp. at a time. If it is not forming any kind of ball it may need a little more flour. Also I have found some cheap non brand flours to make heavier loaves. I am not sure why this is. My bread machine has a dough only cycle so you can take the dough out and shape it and let it rise and bake in the oven for rolls or shaped loaves cover and let it rise in a warm place till double in size. I sometimes heat a cup of water and set in the oven. Then set the dough in there to raise.
Diane Sue

What I normally do is heat my oven to about 100 degrees, then kill the "flame" (actually it's electric). Then I use the oven lamp to keep the heat.

I cover the loaf with a towel and set the loaf in the oven, when the dough doubles in size I remove it from the oven and heat the oven to baking temp, most of my breads are 350 - 375. I usually let the bread bake from 25 to 35 minutes based on size of loaf, type of bread etc.

If you want a crispy top crust, brush with ice cold water right before baking.

You can also free form the bread. Try dividing the dough into 3 strands and braid it.

Try whole grain breads, there's even a "white" wheat flour. They don't rise as much but nutritionally they are better.
It's all good.

Dave

I bought that feature by accident, I have a Zojurushi bread machine, its the vertical loaf format which makes great bread but a horrible shaped loaf.

Dave

Hey Dave? I hate to keep asking you about the bread thing, but I really hate putting the effort into cooking something and have it come out bad. When you do your loaves in the oven, do you do a 1.5 or 2 lb. loaf? If you were to do a 2lb. would you use a bigger loaf pan?

Man, I never even asked these many questions when I took calculus. Guess that's why I never got above a B-.:D

I do 2lbers. Don't worry about the smaller pan. The bread will rise.

The worry would be using too large so that the loaf didn't reach the sides.

My regular pan is (base measurement, there is a slight taper in the pan, 11 1/2" by 3 1/2" with a height of 3"

Another favorite is fat free baguettes.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.