Bosu (both sides up) aerobics

Amysue

Cathlete
Dear Cathe,
Hope all is well with you. Just wanted to ask you a question concerning a new step-type workout that I read about. Called Bosu, it's one part step, one part exercise ball.(bosu.com) Wondered if you've ever tried it or even heard of it? I'm always looking for something new to try but don't want to waste my money either.
Hope you are doing well and thanks for all the great workouts.
Amy

Hi Amy! Yes, I have heard and seen this product but have not actually used it. Based on what I have seen so far, it appears to be mostly beneficial for use in the core area, however I do feel that a stability ball also provides this same type of benefit. As far as a step workout, I'm not convinced this is the most inspiring way to go. Just my thoughts!

Hi Amy,

Sticking my nose in, but I'll share with you the results I got from the inventor of the BOSU.
I also had read about BOSU in the current Fitness magazine and it "seemed" as though it could be utilized for step aerobics, so when I checked out the site and saw it cost $129.+ s&h ($150.), I thought I'd contact someone and ask some questions.
When I explained the "intensity" of Cathe's aerobics, his opinion was that I may be able to use the BOSU for "some" of the routine, but probably not all of it. The BOSU would probably not be a good idea for some of Cathe's power moves and plyo moves due to us moving at such a quick pace, and balance would be an issue. (All I needed to hear because Cathe is the only stepping I do!) But he was honest enough to say that it could be used for step, but kept putting ("some") in there as though it were a disclaimer. :)
I also got the impression that if I didn't mind modifying, I could probably get a good workout doing Cathe on a BOSU, but I figured I'd stick with my step (safety) and keep reading the forum and wait for one of you guys to give the "thumbs up" or "down" and save the $150. (do you know how many Cathe videos that can buy?) :)
Donna

Hey, Cathe and Donna,
Thanks for the information. I'll save my moola for Cathe videos. I already have a stability ball and love using it for abs and other core moves. I'll stick with that.
I didn't think I'd have the coordination to do a power 15 on that thing anyway.
Thanks!
Amy

It is so funny you would mention the "power 15" because that is EXACTLY what I was thinking when I originally emailed the inventor! I thought, "will I kill myself trying to do them?" "I am too old to be falling off a doggone ball!"
Hey~safety first!
Donna

Donna,
I'm too old to be falling off ANYTHING! I now refuse to mountainbike on trails with steep ups and downs...cross country ski on icy trails...run on trails with nasty roots, rocks, ruts and steep ups and downs...but I still rock climb...go figure. I guess if my belayer is paying attention, I'm OK!
Amy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.