Bodyfat & Measuring

JumpHigher

Cathlete
I recently purchased a Tanita Body Composition scale -- the Elite Series. I'm pretty sure I'm going to take it back because I spoke with a personal trainer today who said they're not very accurate. She said when she measures her bodyfat with calipers the result is 14%, while the bodyfat scale reads 23%.

I'm wondering what profiles or formulas the Tanita scale bases it's numbers on. The scale works by sending an electromagnetic signal through your feet, up through your body and back down.

It does seem like it would be more accurate to measure different parts of the body and follow a time-tested table. I would really appreciate any wisdom from any of you who have experience with this.

Thanks!

Marla

the MOST accurate way is to get dunked!

the scales are a good tool for tracking... but not necessarily accurate...

if you use them at the same time, at roughly the same hydration every day... you can guage your fat loss (or gain) but the number you see isn't necessarily a true number!

i use a tanita and weigh myself, for tracking purposes, in the morning (which is also when i'm least hydrated)... so NOT the ideal time for tracking BF%... but it's a tool and i can see if i go up or down....

occasionally to get a supposedly better number... i will step on the scale in the afternoon when i'm hydrated and the number is always significantly lower (up to 4-5%)...

calipers, i've read, are also a tool but be sure to use the same pressure!
-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.