Bodyfat Measurement

A

ange

Cathe,
I am new to your forum and I think it's fab how you answer your followers ( your a rare breed).
I completed the BFL challenge twice and my body fat is at 16% but I read that 12% was good. I do not believe that I think that is to low. I would love to know what the ranges are for women. I wish that there was only one range to go by but everytime I read something it's totally different.
I have been using your pure strength series for my weight training for this 3rd challenge and I love your gym style training.

Thank you in advance
Ange

Tell me more!

Hi Ange!
I bought the BLF book and often buy the magazine as well. I have a couple of questions for you about he program. First, was it difficult to follow? Did you use the products and supplements talked about in the book? After reading the section on cardio and weight program, I found it hard to believe that one could get those kinds of results on so few exercises and so little cardio. Could someone use the BFL eating plan and Cathe's tapes and still pull it off? Lastly, how much weight and body fat did you lose? I wish you luck, you must feel and look great! Deb D

For Deb D

Deb,
The program is very easy to follow. The hardest part for me was preparing meals ahead of time. So I purchased a foreman grill and that solved that problem. I started the BFL program at 28% bodyfat (yikes) end a 21% on first challenge. I did a second challenge at 21% bodyfat and ended 16% bodyfat. The first challenge I did by the book, however the second challenge I tweaked quite a bit by doing more cardio such as running, aerojump, and spinning classes. I was only doing 2 strength sessions a week my second challenge. I use only the myoplex lite and EAS protein shakes and sometimes HMB. I did not like betagen because creatine causes the muscle to hold water and made my feel bloated and for phen-free I thought a cup of coffee was just fine. Phee-free is more caffeine than anything. I believe you could follow the eating pattern easily and do cathe's tapes with no problem. (because cathe's PS and MIS offer a gym style weight training that would be perfect) that's what I did. And for cardio do what you like. I have read hussman's website about tweaking the BLF program and have found most if not all of the champions did more cardio and kinda followed there own program. Since the BFL program is 100% eating clean and 100% excercise I really don't know how you could go wrong doing cathe's rotation. Im going into my 3rd challenge and each time I tweak the BLF a little more by doing different things. The great thing about BLF this really is not a diet but a much better way of eating. No more diets. I wish you luck with your challenge and check out
www.hussman.com/eas and click on tweaking the program, Im sure you will be surprise how the champions did more than what was suggestd in the book.

Ange

Thanks Ange!

I really appreciate your taking the time to respond. I'm gonna give it a try. I guess it does make alot of sense. I went from 32% body fat to 19% body fat in about a year running and using the PS series. I have not, however, been a "stickler" over the clean eating. I simply made some very simple and obvious changes in my diet, for example: I added more fiber, soy products, leaner cuts of meat, a gallon of water a day, and above all, tried not to let myself get tooooo hungry ( eating often). I am a professional vocalist on weekeds and found myself eating a wonderful "rich" meal just about every Saturday...I guess there was that good ol "free" meal built right in, with a glass of Merlot of course :-}. I would be really interested in how others "modified" the BFL or maybe we should call it the "Cathe method". I think that it success in fitness comes when one does make it "their own", you know what I mean. Ownership is a biggie! Finding a program one can "live with" is key. It's been fun chatting with you Ange. Gosh, wish I could hear your responses like in a "real" conversation. That would be so interesting...good luck, girl and let me know how things come along and some of your "tweaking" methods and ideas. Deb D

Hey Ange, one more thing..

You mentioned the Forman Grill. Does is work well? What kinds of meals did you find quick and lean. What is HMB? and Do you really think that Myoplex was necessary? Could someone say, use a protien powder meal instead? I would appreciate your input. Thanks Deb D

12% body fat for women...

...is considered the high end of elite athlete status. You're doing wonderfully at 16%! Going lower could affect your monthly cycle, for one thing. Many women who go too low in body fat (whatever that mark is for them individually) will stop having periods.

Deb D

Deb,
Im really enjoying my day off. I love having the time to read the post here and answer them. I have not used a skillet since I purchased my foreman grill. I cook everything on it like, chicken, lean beef, butterfly chops, fish, strimp,
and I even steam my veggis on it. Yes, the foreman does work great. I believe your right about making a program work to your advantage. You know something you can live with and make a part of your life style. I do not just use protein drinks alone, I will however add a piece of fruit to it like an apple, pear or peach. (those are my favorite fruits. The cathe program sounds fab. I think cathe's all about health and fitness. Not just making run of mill videos but videos that actually work. I am so glad that I found this forum because everyone here is into fitness. I think 19% bodyfat is great. If you purchase a foreman grill you may never did your skillets again. (cathe's challenge now that's something to really think about. You can always email me if you like. My email address is
[email protected]. I enjoy chatting with you also.

Ange

Deb, Ange gave you good advice and.....

I am no expert but here's what I am doing. I am doing the FIRM rotation calendar and taking the Betagen and Phenfree and drinking Myoplex shakes twice a day. I think that maybe you can get away with no Betagen and Phenfree, but it is so hard to get the protein you need from your food intake and Myoplex Lite is an easy, convenient way to get it. If you read the Firm For Life book you will see that they say the same thing. The two eating plans are not that far apart. After the 12 weeks I plan to switch to Cathe tapes and continue a clean eathing plan with my one free day (thank God for the free day!!).

Oh, and btw

Yes, I agree with Pamela. I go to a BFL club on Yahoo and they are always posting "Well, I am now 15% bodyfat, etc....." Yikes!! I will settle for toned and lean! But, I do use my videos because I exercise between 4:00 am and 5:00 am and then get my kids ready and go to my job. It's ok because I have a great video library including every one of Cathe's tapes and every FIRM ever made.

Pam your correct

Pam,
You are correct. I read my afaa manual lastnight after I posted that question. I noticed all the women who won the BLF was at 12% and that is not safe. Besides the body will never stay there because it's not safe for the organs of the body. So I will have to be happy (and I am) with 16% bodyfat. Thanks for the input.

Ange

exerviedolover-I also there are much better and cheaper

exerviedolover,
I think there are better and cheaper ways of getting the protein sources also. I eat aot of boiled egg whites, can chicken which has about 15 to 20 grams of protein and I make a tofu smoothie. And I buy soy protein powder for women and add fruit (yummy) soy is a excellent of protein I think. So I save money by not buying betagen and phen-free. Besides I would not want to take that stuff forever. Whole foods is much better. I love kashi prolean cereal because it has protein and fiber. And BLF program is lacking fiber bigtime don't you think?

Ange

Ange, have you been in my kitchen?

Whoa! We have a very similar philosophy about food. Amen to more soy ( especially we perimenopausal chicks approaching the big 4-0 and beyond!). I agree also with using food to achieve the many grams of fiber and protien we need. Then there are all those Omegas for the ticker and metabolism that are important. Then water, water and more WATER!! For thermogenasis I use good old fashioned caffeine...love my caffeine and and ounce of dark chocolate every morning with my coffee for good mental health :-}. I make an outstanding tofu smoothie if I do say so myself, my kids dig them toooooo, lots of berries, FIBER! I love to play with different grains and beans. Oh, to sing the praises of the BEAN! I just love FOOD! Don't you? It's been fun, gotta go, I have Pasilla chili beans and potato soup on the stove....YUM!
Deb D

p.s. Is that Kashi Go Lean or Pro Lean? Gotta check that out...I use Go Lean with 10g/ fiber and protien...also, some really great soy granolas out at Trader Joe's.

Question for Ange...

Hi Ange -

I've been reading your posts and wanted to know if you could tell me, without having to type too-too much, what the BFL challenge is. I've seen it mentioned before, but have no idea what it is!

Thanks!
Michele

michele-BLF

Michele,
I would love tell you about body for life but I would have to type quite a bit. So that you get all the information you need I will give you 2 BLF websites and everything you want to know about BLF can be answered for you.

www.hussman.com/eas
www.bodyforlife.com

I hope this helps. both website are great and bill phillips has a book called body for life and you can read the reviews at amazon.com

ange

Deb- I make this awesome deluxe bean soup

Deb,
Im glad Im not the only bean lover in the world.
I make this bean soup which I just love. I cook a bag of 24 bean soup then add grilled chicken breast (cubed) turkey sausage and it's yummy.

Ange

Beans the magical fruit...la-la-la-la.

If I could open a restaraunt I would call it "Bean Banquets!". What do ya think? Speaking of lovely legumes, how do you feel about lentils and split peas? I combine the two with sauted red onion, garlic, cumin, and tumeric to make a delicious bean dip that we love with cut up veggies and tortilla chips (baked of course). Even my kids love it. I make a &*%#@! load and freeze it in 1 cup capacities. Then there is the middle Eastern Humus made from chick/garbanzo beans,lime, cilantro, cumin, and a bit of red onion and garlic. Process until smooth and have in whole wheat tortillas or corn tortillas that have been baked until crisp. Love to talk about beans can you tell? Deb D

Reminds me of Brak on Cartoon Planet!

Brak is an alien of some kind, but not the brightest light in the galaxy. He has a song called "I Love Beans" (available on the "Space Ghost's Musical Bar-B-Que" CD!):

"I like beans, woo woo woo
I like beans, how 'bout you?
High in fiber, low in fat,
Hey, bet ya didn't know that!"

Of course, he then goes on to make some slightly off-color remarks about the affect beans can have on one's digestive system.
happy.gif

How's that for utterly mindless bean trivia?! BTW, I could live on garbanzo and kidney beans!

Deb D Hummus recipe please?

Hi,

Thats a unique way to make hummus. Can I have the recipe please? I just adore hummus!

Helen Z

Hummus for Helen.

Hey Helen,
How'd we get started talkin about beans on this thread anyway? Aw, as far as I'm concerned beans can go anywhere I do.
In my version of hummus, I use spices instead of tahini( sesame seed paste)because the tahini has more fat than I can afford ,usually. I also find that tahini is more of a deep rich flavor, which is fine, however, I enjoy more "savory" flavored dishes.Here goes:

Hummus ala Chicana

1 can hummus- dumped into processor, undrained.
1 garlic clove, chopped
6 tablespoons lemon juice ( or lime)
1/2 tsp. ground cumin or 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds toasted and ground w/pestil.
1 tsp. salt
generous grindind of pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro for garniish OR you can add 1/4 cilantro to the hummus itself...I like this better.

With processor running, add all ingredients until smooth not runny. Simple as that. I have double this and froze it. Check out the nutrition of the Garbanzo bean! Shoot, I add them to soups, Italians and mexican soups alike.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.