BodyBugg vs GoWearFit - Please help!!

update ...

Hi all, I'm glad that was a helpful post! I really enjoy all that I'm learning on this site, though it gets expensive at times :p Nice to have something useful to share.

I’ve been playing around with when to charge the GoWearFit, and I’ve hit on something that seems to work pretty well. That’s to charge it during my computer exercise-log updating time. When you aren’t wearing it, the GWF will still calculate calories burned – what it seems to do is estimate based on predicted basic metabolic rate (BMR). It won’t count steps, of course, or activity level, if you're not wearing it. When I’m sitting at the computer, I’m not burning much more than the BMR and there’s no need to count steps, and so I have started to get in the habit of taking it off, plugging it in to upload stats and charge, and then check CatheNation, SparkPeople, and my email :D The charger plugs into your USB, so you can upload and charge at the same time. There’s a wireless update which I have not yet used, but of course that doesn't help you charge up.

About charge time: before my four and a half day trip, it only took fifteen minutes or so to fully charge at a sitting – I was probably doing two or three sittings a day, playing around with it :eek: It's only now fully charged after that long trip - it seemed to take a couple of hours. The website says it can take up to three hours for a fully discharged battery. That might be an issue if you regularly drain it, and want to go for a week between charging sessions. But, you don't have to fully charge it to use it. My first half hour charging session was plenty to keep it going for the next 24 hours at least (it hasn’t quit on me yet).

I don’t know about turning it off on a plane – this last trip I was driving. I emailed the manufacturers to ask ...

Also, the site advises using it on the left arm. Due to my breast cancer surgery, restrictive clothing is verboten on my left. So far it has not caused any issues to have wear it on the right, though the website warns that this could cause an 8% error. Another thing to think about carefully is the BMR. I have had mine measured a variety of ways and it is quite different from the BMR most tables predict. To make up for that, I set my calorie burn target higher to match.

So far, so good! I thought it was very interesting that I could even tell when I was moving my weights around, cleaning the basement :eek: Doing STS, I just set the watchband down by my weight list, and periodically looked at the reading. It was very nice not to have that wristband in the way.

Last edited:
Okay, I know this is going to sound like an inane question. But for those of you who have the GWF display -- does it have a watch setting? I ordered the armband, but I lost my watch a few months ago and cannot find it anywhere, although I am certain it is in the house. Anyway, I was not going to get the display, but if it is also a watch, I would consider it.

Thanks,
Tobermory

GoWearFit writes back - plane issue :)

I asked the GWF support staff two questions - one about using GoWearFit on planes, and the other one about those of us who cannot use the usual left arm for wearing the band. Their note came the first business day after my question. Here's the info:
---
From GWF:
"The Armband transmitter/receiver is active only when using the Display or Wireless Communicator and after pressing the status button. BodyMedia equipment is IEC 60601-02 compliant and FCC Part15 compliant. Specific manufacturers of any equipment in question should be contacted to ensure their IEC 60601-02 and FCC Part 15 compliance. "

"Make sure that you are wearing the armband righ tside up. The information should be within 5% of the information recorded when wearing it on your left arm. So the data you receive will still be very accurate."
---
My impression from the above is that it ought to be okay to wear the armband without the display on a plane as long as you don't keep pressing the status button, and don't try to charge it on your laptop during flight. The armband is what is maintaining the data, not the display, and so you'd still get credit for jogging up and down the aisles :)

Hello! I received mine last night, I wore it all day before setting up my account. Just got home and set it all up, it was very easy to do. I set my targets (steps, minutes of activities, etc.), and easily found how to adjust them if I want to. It's funny what this will consider moderate activity, apparently getting ready in the morning counts. Oh and this was cool, on my daily calorie burn chart, it knew when I ran back up the stairs, and counted it as 1 minute of vigorous activity, how funny is that?? :eek:

So, so far so good, I am going to use the 3 day nutritional assessment for now, because I actually can't figure out yet how to enter in my daily calories. When I have more time I'll look into it, probably later in the week. Entering food is however very easy.

Oh and I'm really surprised to learn, that even at my lazy sit all day job, I actually took over 5,000 steps so far today.

Ok, I'm off to do STS disc 21, I'm SO curious to see my calorie burn for a workout with weights.

I'll report back.

ETA: I burned 274 calories for disc 21, I'm happy with that, I was hoping to be around 300, and something interesting, at least to me, is none of it registered as "vigorous" exercise, it was all categorized as "moderate". I can't wait to see what tomorrow's kickbox class looks like. And I figured out daily food logging.

Last edited:
I got mine GWF yesterday and am loving it. One of the things I've enjoyed the most about the software is the sleep efficiency feature. It was really cool looking at my stats this mornng when I woke up.

Also, I can't get over how light this thing is on my arm. I truly don't even know it's there. I was worried about what it would feel like when I rolled over on my left side during the night but it has not been a nuisance at all.

Help for GWF software installation

Hi, guys,

I finally got mine tonight. But I had a hard time to install the software. I went to GWF website and download the software for pc, saved it in my laptop. Then I click "Run". But it kept returning error message:

1152 Error Extracting, c:\users\daisy\appdata\local\temp\{7A4A57A[Softwear.msi to the temporary location

Could anyone help me? I am really upset. I finally got it, but I am stuck.:mad:

Thanks

Hi, guys,

I finally got mine tonight. But I had a hard time to install the software. I went to GWF website and download the software for pc, saved it in my laptop. Then I click "Run". But it kept returning error message:

1152 Error Extracting, c:\users\daisy\appdata\local\temp\{7A4A57A[Softwear.msi to the temporary location

Could anyone help me? I am really upset. I finally got it, but I am stuck.:mad:

Thanks

I read a couple other boards that said to use Internet Explorer, that firefox was problematic. Were you using IE?

2nd question, did you use a work pc or home? Work can often block certain downloads.

Another thought, it is only 23MB, but can you check how much space you have left on your C: drive? If you don't know how, go to Start, Accessories, Windows Explorer, find your C drive, right click on it, choose Properties, it should show you a graph of your capacity. I highly doubt it is a space issue, but just in case you could check that.

ETA: My sleep efficiency is not so good today, for some reason I woke up at 4am wide awake, so my graph shows 3:45 hours of actual sleep.

Mine will be here this week and I am so excited! Keep posting updates- I think it's funny that getting ready for work and lifting weights are both considered moderate activities. Uh, no. :)

WantFit, you cannot just run the program, it can only be run through the website. So once you have downloaded the program, log into GWF and it will turn on the program. That is always how you have to run it, otherwise, they couldn't charge a monthly fee -- you would already have everything you need on your computer. Or perhaps you already did this and I misunderstood your question, in which case, just ignore me. Also, it apparently does not run well with Firefox.

Tobermory

I got this thing yesterday. It says only burn 1 cal a min when doing nothing. It said I got 8.5 hours sleep last night when I was up 3 times during the night, that does not seem right. And with all my night sweats it did not register that I was burning more calories during that time.

I was on the exercise bike last night and my display was behind what the bike was listing for calories burned until the end and then it caught up. It said I was burning near 5 cal. a minute at the end.

I did STS disc 15 this morning and it said I burned near 200 cal. during the workout.

I'm really going to have to bump up my exercise and really bump down my calorie intake to lose weight.

It's pretty interesting to have the data and evaluate it.

I read a couple other boards that said to use Internet Explorer, that firefox was problematic. Were you using IE?

2nd question, did you use a work pc or home? Work can often block certain downloads.

Another thought, it is only 23MB, but can you check how much space you have left on your C: drive? If you don't know how, go to Start, Accessories, Windows Explorer, find your C drive, right click on it, choose Properties, it should show you a graph of your capacity. I highly doubt it is a space issue, but just in case you could check that.

ETA: My sleep efficiency is not so good today, for some reason I woke up at 4am wide awake, so my graph shows 3:45 hours of actual sleep.

Thank you Dela.

I used my home laptop. I used IE. My C drive has 53.7 G free. I actually tried to download and run in my work computer. It was running fine. So I don't know what I did wrong.

One thing though, I was so excited when I got my package. I uppacked and pluged right in my laptop to charge it while I was working in my kitchen. Will this cause problem? But I did unplug it when I tried to download and run the software.

WantFit, you cannot just run the program, it can only be run through the website. So once you have downloaded the program, log into GWF and it will turn on the program. That is always how you have to run it, otherwise, they couldn't charge a monthly fee -- you would already have everything you need on your computer. Or perhaps you already did this and I misunderstood your question, in which case, just ignore me. Also, it apparently does not run well with Firefox.

Tobermory

Oh, no. You did not mis read my post. I did log in and download the software to my file. After download, the window pop up asking me if I wanted to open or run. So I did not run the program thru their website. I think that is the problem.

But my next question is do you have to pay right away? The is a question right beneath download line, said "do you have promotion code from package or not" I chose "Yes". But It did not lead me anywhere. It just showed me different subscribtion rate. I don't even get a chance to enter the promotion code at this time. Do I have to choose one of subscription rate and then I will be able to enter the promotion code?

My other question is what kind of subcription you guys chose? Which one made more sense?

Thanks

I paid subscription fees and downloaded the software when I am in my activated account. But when I ran the software, it still had the same message about the problem of my temp folder.

I don't know what's wrong.

I'm just coming across this post and am planning on asking for GWF for Christmas! Question though; do you need the monthly subscription to see your total calories burned/sleep for the day? Or can I save the $ and make my own Excel sheet tracking these?

Ok here is my other question; what's the difference between GFW and FitBit? FitBit is only $99 and it doesn't look like it has a monthly subscription fee....

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.