Body changes after mid-thirties

perimenopause

I just came across your post today. It's now February but I thought I'd respond anyway. I'm 46 yrs. old and couldn't take the perimenopausal symptoms anymore so consulted my ob/gyn. I was placed on a low dosage birth control pill. He told me it takes 3 months for the medication to kick in and for all the symptoms to go away. Well, you know what, they did! Everything that you experienced I did and now I'm back on track. Please consult your doctor because you have to do something about this. Unfortunately, the first month is a real killer! You'll feel as if you want to kill someone. Post again and let me know how you made out. Best of luck sweetie! Kathy

I'll try anything

I did try the pill for a bit, and, you are right, I became absolutely crazy...and terribly bloated. I lasted a week. However, I'm ready to give it another try.

Calcium supplements (I use the chocolate Viactiv-- they're awesome) seem to have helped somewhat...or then again, this could be my imagination.

If you're going to try the herbal remedies (Evening Primrose, Black Cohash, Cramp Tree), you might consider "purchasing" them from some of the net sites. Vitamins.com is offering $25 off first purchases and Drugstore.com-- $!0.00 off. Personally, these estrogenic herbs made me feel pregnant....but they did relieve some symptoms.

I really think that perimenopause solutions are specific to different women. the trial and error methodology of all too many GYNs seems to make women suffer unnecessarily. I think hormone testing is undoubtedly the only way to be sure what's going on with our bodies.

Thank you for mentioning that OUTSMARTING seems to suggest way too little food. That makes me feel less gluttonous.

Re: calcium, it's not your imagination

Hi!

I've been taking calcium supplements for well over a year now and have to say there has been marked improvement in PMS as well as cramping. It's not your imagination (or if it is, then it's mine too!
happy.gif
). The brand I take is One A Day Bone Strength and another reason I like it is because it contains Vitamin D (helps with calcium absorption) and Soy which, as was mentioned before, is believed to help with all these things we're talking about. I really feel better when I am consistent in taking my calcium.

Good luck in finding the best solution for you!

Bev K.

the calcium-PMS link is documented

It is a documented fact that a large percentage of women get relief from PMS symptoms with calcium. Since PMS symptoms are correlate very closely to the symptoms of hypocalcemia, some bright doc decided to study the effect of calcium supplementation on PMS and found that adequate calcium (not megadoses, just the recommended 1200 mg a day) decreased PMS symptoms something like 40%! My brother told me about reading about it. Gee, wonder why he thought of me?. . .
happy.gif

-susan p

Outsmarting the Midlife Fat Cell

Glanced through this at the bookstore today, decided to buy it, and spent a little time sampling the chapters. Even though (yay for me!) I'm already THERE on lots of her recommendations, I'm always looking for back-up evidence, and this book has a huge appendix of references and resources. I like the encouraging and realistic tone of her discussions. Thanks for the suggestion.

What kind of soy?

Glad you liked the book, BK. As I said, Outsmarting made me feel less crazy-- given that there are so many "biological" reasons for our bodies' midlife responses.

Now, I'm not quite sure what KIND of soy I should be eating to alleviate some of these symptoms. Is it better to go straight to the source? I've been eating those roasted soy nut things....they're wonderful...however, I'm not sure if I should be consuming a more processed type of soy. Does anyone know?

Soy what??

I visited the dixiediner website mentioned above. They advertised a "grape nuts" type breakfast food called Nutlettes that looked interesting. Before I order it I thought I'd try to find it (or a similar product to try) at the local healthy supermarket Wild Oats. Seems to me soy is soy, whatever form you eat. Waterhouse mentions tofu, soy flour, soy milk/cheese, roasted soy nuts, soy protein powder, and various concoctions like soy ice cream. I like those veggie burgers in the frozen food section.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.