Body Beast or STS

amyd

Cathlete
I'm contemplating starting a new rotation. I've done almost a complete rotation of STS a couple of years ago, so I am familiar with that program. I own Body Beast but have yet to try it b/c I was rehabbing a strained trapezius for the last 7 months. Thanks to XTrain it's much better now:)
I'm hesitant to start Body beast b/c of the limited amount of cardio they recommend. I just don't want to be plump for the summer months lol. But I don't want to derail the purpose of the program by putting in cardio. Just wondered if anyone has tried BB and what your thoughts are on how they compare?
Amy

I have done both STS and Body Beast. I did BB last summer with no cardio other than when I was out and about..walking or a casual bike ride. I had numerous people tell me I had never looked that good before, I was very defined and tight at the end of Body Beast, probably in my best shape ever.
I believe in my case my eating was spot on with Body Beast more so than any other time I can remember with any other program. I was very, very focused on eating clean...and then when the 12 weeks ended I figured I could give myself a little slack which turned into a lot more slack than I had originally planned. :(

I do think though that you can get great results from both programs. I really believe that the food part is KEY in getting the results you want. I am tinkering with doing another full round of STS myself. I am hoping I can re-focus on the food part for good this time not for just the duration of any given program.

Best of luck to you whichever one you do!!

Kathy

Thanks Kathy, that's the kind if comparison I was looking for. Thanks for such a detailed response. Good luck on your next endeavor :)
Amy

Hi Amy,

I agree with Kathy that either option is a winner and it does ultimately come down to nutrition.

I think the two biggest differences between the programs are: 1) the time commitment; and 2) the amount of cardio. STS workouts range from 45-65mins (IIRC) and the rotations typically include cardio on non-weight days. With BB, the weight workouts are brutal but short--30-40mins--and the cardio is really limited (although of course you could add more...it's just not how the program is designed.).

Other thoughts:
My DH and I have both done several STS rotations. It is tough yet lacks the dread factor. I especially love that there are SO many different rotations to choose from (3 month, 6 month, undulating, etc.). Lots of variety. I also think it's great that in Meso 3 you can choose between Plyo Legs and a heavier Squat Rack routine. Neither of us were looking to lose weight, but we both gained strength and simply enjoy doing the STS workouts.

My DH is currently on Week 8 of Body Beast. I have previewed the videos but haven't done the program yet. From what my DH tells me, the instructor is likeable and he doesn't dread doing the DVDs multiple times (like we both did with Tony Horton and P90X, since his jokes got very old after multiple viewings). My DH says the workouts are challenging, but he likes that they are shorter and he benefits from the lack of cardio because he wants to build muscle mass.

Lots of rambling, but I hope some of that helps. Let us know what you decide to do.

Hi Lisa, thanks for your input, it is very helpful. I decided to do STS. I initially put BB in the DVD player this a.m. Once it started to play I immediately got the "dread factor" feeling and ejected it. I put M1D1 in and away I went :). Maybe some day I'll do a BB rotation but right now I'm a Cathe addict and I just don't feel normal not doing cardio 3-4 times a week. It helps me sleep and is my natural antidepressant! I even did hard Strikes Timesaver this evening:)

I hear you about Tony Horton. I made it through 7 weeks of P90X a few years ago and haven't been able to do a rotation since...dread factor again. Thank goodness for Cathe.

Think twice about Body Beast. It has very little warm-up and stretching and the worst cool down I've ever seen. My neck and shoulders were so tight, I could hardly move. After a couple of weeks of the program, I returned it for a refund.

I have done both programs. Got great results from both programs. Sagi moves a little quickly, in some of the workouts, but, if it's an issue for you, there is always the pause button. I agree with Melagras, do your own cool-down and stretch. Definitely stretch through the shoulders. Cathe's STS, definitely one of the best! Every once in awhile, when I want kick butt leg work, I reach for disc 17. Love it, may have to pull it out this week-end! Can't go wrong with STS! Basically, it's your choice! Why not both? Do STS, then move into Body Beast.

One thing I love about all Cathe workouts, is the stretch. When you factor in the thought of adding your own stretch to BB, you'll come out really close to the STS workout times. :)

One thing I love about all Cathe workouts, is the stretch. When you factor in the thought of adding your own stretch to BB, you'll come out really close to the STS workout times. :)

Could not agree more! I love Cathe's warm up --- they really get my body ready!
I could at some point literally feel synovial fluid lubricating my joint getting ready for fun step!
Weird!:p:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.