BODY BAR

js70

Cathlete
Have any of you tried the workouts using a body bar for Bodybar.com? A lot of dvds and selected body bars are on sale now at their site till June 15. What weighted body bar do you use? Did you like the workout or any recommendations on any of them.
Jera

I find bodybars useful

Jara:
I find bodybars useful for lighter. high-repetitive exercises -- so I recommend them. I use 12-lb, 9-lb, and 4-lb bodybars. One trick is to add wrist-weights to the ends of them, to adjust the weight. Though I bought them to be used with the bodybar.com videos, I have been using them with other videos as well. I use them with Cathe's "Maximum Intensity Strength" and "Power Hour", for example. One attractive feature is that, with the wrist weights, the bodybar is kind to my wooden floor.

I would recommend using the videostream features (or the "play clip" feature) to check out the videos you would want. From the bodybar series I like "Martial Arts Strength Training" (Lisa Gaylord) and "Basic Training" (Sherry Catlin), among others.

One warning though: you must like videos using ligher weights with high numbers of reps. If you lift heavy, probably a heavier barbell is a better bet.
-- David

My favorite is Energy Action Circuit by Mindy Mylrea. I don't know if this one is on sale though. I used a 18# body bar but I could probably go heavier. I haven't done the workout in a while. You do strength moves mixed in with cardio intervals. Mindy makes this workout fun.

David and Jane,
Thanks for the recommendation. Is there a chance you can substitute dumbbells for the body bar? I thought of buying the 6 lbs. one, but it's that too light of a weight? I can't afford to buy 2 of them at the same time. I'll be broke :) I was thinking of buying the on sale dvd that you use a bosu and the body bar to do the exercise. I just got a bosu and I love it.
Jera

Advantages of bodybars/are bosus worthwhile?

Jera,
I would not try to substitute dumbells for a bodybar (though I am not an expert as to the advantages of bodybars). One reason I like the Bodybar series is that they offer an occasional change from regular dumbells/barbells. Here's one testimonial from the internet:
http://www.bodybar.com/Tims-Three-Months-to-Fit

My opinion is that many of the exercizes in the bodybar series (or the videos by Mindy Milrea and others) include several routines that cannot be done with dumbells or a barbell (slowly twirling the bar with two hands, for example). Conversely, there are routines (chest flies, lateral raises, etc.) that cannot be done with a bodybar.

I recommend to go ahead and buy one bodybar. If you are fairly strong (if you can shoulder press 2-10 lb dumbells for 15-20 reps or more), go ahead and buy an 18-lb bar. If not, downsize to a 12-lb bar. Bodybars are expensive by mail, so I would try buying one at a sports store or on e-bay.

What's a bosu like? I have not bought one as yet.
-- David

I have a 27# body bar that I bought years ago before I got a BB. I rarely use it, preferring barbells and dumbbells. However I do grab it once in a while for a fast moving workout when I don't have time to lower the weight on my BB. I don't really enjoy it, as I find it too thick and I don't really get the point of them.

David,
I really enjoy the bosu workouts that I have. It's a bit hard for me to balance on it. It's a great workout in a way and I did I burned more calories using it because I had to use the strength of my legs to try to balance. I bought mine from ebay from fitnessquest which is the same place as bosu.com. I paid $80 (free shipping) for it. It was a 3D bosu, but I use only the bosu ball itself.

Jera

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.