blood pressure testing

kristen

Cathlete
Can anyone suggest some places that do blood pressure testing that would be less expensive than going to the doctor's office? My aunt will need to have hers tested monthly for a while as she adjusts to a medication, and it's $80 just for the dr's visit! I looked at walgreens.com and couldn't see that they offer it--any other ideas? Would a doctor prescribing medicine be likely to accept the results of a home blood pressure monitor? We live in the SF Bay Area, specifically Marin County. Thanks!

I test mine with a home use machine bought at walmart. They are fairly accurate.

When I was pregnant, this is ages ago, the doc told me to go to the nearest fire station and they would test my blood pressure for free. I did, and they were vey nice there.

Check out your local drugstore

Here in Canada most drug stores (e.g., Shoppers Drug Mart) have reliable blood pressure machines, for free:). I'm sure there are drug stores south of the border that have these. Also: pharmacists are there to help you.
-- David

You should be able to find a free blood pressure machine at a local pharmacy or Walmart. BTW, I grew up in Santa Cruz! :eek:

I agree with the suggestion of going to the fire station for blood pressure testing if available in your area.

As already mentioned lots of grocery stores, Walmart, Walgreens, etc.. have the machines in the stores and it's free.

I also have an at-home machine I bought at WalMart. I take it in every now and then to have it checked against the readings at the Dr.'s office. TOTALLY worth the cost... less than ONE visit to the doctor! :D

Pam

Just beware of the blood pressure monitors at drug and grocery stores. I have had to monitor mine daily because of new meds and I was going to Rite Aid and it said that my BP was 144/92 when it had been 112/68 at the doctors office the previous day. I went back the next night and still super high. I finally bought one that I could use at home and it was 119/83 yesterday.

I think that I would either go to a fire station or by my own at home monitor.

ETA - my doc was willing to accept BP readings from a monitor at a grocery or drug store or from an at home monitor.

You can go to walmart...I think they're around 50$, so not cheap but not to bad. I have to get one soon because I have a heart condition so I have to regularly monitor my heart rate and blood pressure. I'll let you know how mine works if you haven't gotten yours in a week (I get mine this sunday, 6 days).

Go to a home medical supply store. You can get a real sphymomenometer (sp?) with a dial gauge and stethoscope for about $25.00 Have the salesperson show you how to use it. It's very easy to learn. Trust me, this will be far more accurate than the automatic machines.

Wow- I'm glad I live in Canada, the home of socialized medicine. We are covered under our provincial health care plan, free, with the exception of our taxes. Shoppers Drug Mart, our biggest pharmacy chain, also has blood pressure testers in every store, free of course, and it gives you a readout to take to your doctor.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.