Bloated feeling

ATC1986

Cathlete
I'm not gonna lie. I haven't been working out like I should and my nutrition flat out sucks. Anything with the ingredient sugar has always called my name. For the past week, my tummy aches, I'm feeling bloated, and I've had heart burn and indigestion. I've never struggled with these problems even though my nutrition hasn't been good. I spent today mapping out my workouts for the week. Can y'all help me start pointing my nutrition in the right direction?

Have you tried an elimination diet to find out why you are bloated? Have you had a yeast infection lately? If so you could try gymnema sylvestre which is an ayurvedic treatment for yeast over growth (which can cause sugar cravings btw.) I use it to help control my blood sugar.

For me personally........when I eat like crap, I feel like crap. Then I try to drink water, water, water! System flush, commit to upping my workouts to sweat buckets. Watch the salty foods that make your body hang on to water. In a day or two I usually feel better depending on how disciplined I am. Good luck!

Awe I feel for you. I too have had difficulties in the past but mine was quite severe in the way of an eating disorder. It's quite the mind game as once I made a poor food choice it would ruin the entire week for me and I would continue making bad choices. I do believe sugar addiction is an issue for many and like other habits is hard to break. Gluten is another possibility regarding the bloating/ indigestion as I had symptoms for more than a year before being diagnosed as gluten sensitive - not celiac. Take it one day at a time and once you make it through even the first week with healthy food choices you'll realize how much better you feel and this will also have a positive impact on your exercise. It takes at least 3 weeks to form new habits and break old ones so be persistent and remember your goals. Everyone has set backs but just get back on the wagon the next day.You've made an excellent decision in planning out your workouts for the week as this will hopefully motivate you want to fuel your body appropriately. Best of luck.

Good advice from the other posts! To add, I would eliminate sugar plus all artificial sweeteners and substitute honey when needed. Have some fruit when you need something sweet. I'd also reduce or eliminate bread products, sprouted breads are a good option. Personally I cannot eat potatoes (bloating, cramps) so maybe there is a particular clean food that bothers you? When this happens to me (the symptoms you mentioned) usually a glass of water with a tablespoon of Braag's Apple Cider Vinegar added to it does the trick. Actually a glass of this daily is highly recommended. I hope you're feeling better soon!

I get gassy and bloated at work almost every day. I rarely do at home and I eat basically the same things every day. I wonder if it's the sitting for hours that does it. Where at home we're usually moving around quite a bit.

ATC, here is a link to one (out of many) articles on ACV

Appealing health benefits of apple cider vinegar

Here are some of the best documented and strongest health benefits of apple cider vinegar.

1. It Helps Ease Stomach Cramps and Diarrhea

This is a proven apple cider vinegar cure. The probiotics in the vinegar help ease diarrhea and the pectins from the apples in the vinegar ease stomach cramps. Mix a tablespoon or two in water or your favorite juice to get the best results.

2. It Prevents Indigestion

Another proven health benefit is its ability to stop indigestion before it starts. Simply mix 1 teaspoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water and sip it slowly a half hour before you eat something you know will cause you indigestion. You'll be surprised that you feel fine after eating!

3. It Helps Ease Nighttime Leg Cramps

This old folk remedy has a long history of proof to its effectiveness. Simply mix a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with honey to taste before going to bed and drink it slowly. Those nighttime cramps shouldn't bother you anymore. Do this every night before bed for continuing results.

4. It Drains Your Sinuses

Do you have a stuffy nose due to allergies or some other reason? Fix it with a teaspoon of straight apple cider vinegar in a cup of water. The harshness of drinking the vinegar without any flavoring will help drain your sinuses and clear your nose.

5. It Helps Energize You

Apple cider vinegar is excellent for beating exhaustion. The amino acids it contains counteract the buildup of lactic acid you can get after exercising or other intense physical activity. It's also full of electrolytes that help eliminate that tired feeling. Electrolytes are the same thing that are in sugary sports drinks. A teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in chilled water has the same energizing effect without the sugar and artificial colors and flavors.

Apple cider vinegar is also good for treating heartburn, easing the pain of arthritis, whitening teeth, and much, much more. There are entire books written on the miracle of apple cider vinegar. Even though many of its supposed benefits only have folklore to back them up, there is enough concrete evidence of its many benefits that many people take it every day as a general health tonic. Anyone looking to maximize their health could definitely benefit from a daily dose of this amazing amber liquid.

Read food labels and don't eat anything with sugar alcohols i.e. sorbitol, malitol etc.. The smallest amount causes me to bloat like a Macy's day parade balloon lol. I hate how they are sneaking those ingredients into food. I like what Nanbo says, don't eat processed food.
Amy

LOL str8shooter! Macy's Day Parade Balloon! Haha. ;) Sugar alcohols do cause gastrointestinal upset, so steer clear of those. Probiotics are wonderful! I've learned that gut health is directly correlated to overall health and well-being. Maintaining healthy gut flora is imperative. A physician I know remarked that "too much protein and not enough water" can cause gas. Be sure you're drinking enough water. Ideally, we should be drinking half of our body weight in water each day. HTH. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.