Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili

Miss Lee

Cathlete
This is a recipe that I sort of made up as I went along. I looked at about a dozen recipes and took what I liked from each one to make my own. I didn't measure the seasonings so the amounts listed are guesstimates. Just do what I always do -- throw in whatever you have and whatever you like and it will be wonderful!

Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 bell peppers, seeded and chopped (I used 1 red and 1 orange)
3 large garlic cloves, minced (or to taste -- I used 5 or 6 cloves because I love garlic)
1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped into medium dice
2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
1 to 2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons sweet paprika
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon cocoa powder (unsweetened)
1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
4 cans (15.5 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained (most recipes call for 2 or 3 cans but I felt it needed more)
2 to 3 cups liquid (you can use water, broth, or beer. I used chicken broth because I had an open carton in the fridge and I wanted to use it up, but I'm planning to try it with beer the next time. Guinness or Newcastle Brown Ale would work very well :p)
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in a large saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and peppers and saute until the onion is translucent. Add garlic and sweet potato and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Add the dry spices and cook for another 1 or 2 minutes. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, black beans, and liquid of choice. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are done. Serve with whole grain tortilla chips or a chunk of homemade cornbread.

excellent recipe

I tried this recipe yesterday and it was fabulous. Great flavor and very filling. The only change I made was to add some veggie crumbles to it. Thanks for posting the recipe. You should submit it for the recipe of the week!:D

reply to Xzavier

Are you asking if it is spicy? If so, it is not too spicy. Just a little bit of heat. I cannot handle very spicy foods and was fine with this recipe as is.:rolleyes:

I made the chili again and...

just go easy on the spices. I went a little crazy with the chili powder and red pepper and it was pretty spicy this time around.

I wanted to bump this recipe since it is so delicious, easy and fitting for this cold time of year (well, it is January and 70's F where I am at....but that is cold for me!)

Very versatile - I use Beef bone broth or Chicken bone broth for the liquid, fresh in-season tomatoes if possible, different kinds of beans or a mixture, play with the spices, add different veggies depending on what I have on hand. I have made this for meat lovers and they are seriously surprised it is a meatless chili. One didn't even believe me until he dissected his bowl!

Thanks for this recipe! LOVE Beans! And I also like stocks that use dark/thick beers ....they actually contain a lot of good minerals! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.