Birth Control Advice/ques.

Your *doc* may not feel comfortable, but that shouldn't mean that you can't get an IUD. I had the Paragard put in last March and aside from the heavier/longer periods and cramping for a few months, I love it.

I went to 4 different doctors over the course of about 7 years, looking for an IUD. 2 docs wouldn't do it, and I moved before the 3rd one would. I ended up at Planned Parenthood for my insertion.

BTW, I had mine put in by a nurse practitioner... who does this about 7 times a week... so I would suggest your obgyn is just not comfortable with them. I myself have definitely made my body suffer with all the other attempts at bc and now wish I had fought for the IUD sooner!!! I definitely do not appreciate nor have much confidence in your gyno based on the line he gave you about competent doctors.

I am 29 and don't have kids. DH and I talked about it, and we decided my health and keeping me off hormones, etc was more important than the very small likelihood that I would have any scarring or become infertile.

Do your own research online, call some other docs, ask questions like you have here. Feel free to PM me if you want other info! :)

ETA: I just read everyone else's posts. I have no kids now, and don't want any within the next few years. Hormones are simply not an option for me. I struggled with them for 9 years, and it was just a battle I will never win. I had some people tell me I had to be really sure before getting an IUD... but do you know anyone who has had a problem? I don't. I just don't think it is as prevalent as some docs would say it is. I can't blame them for not wanting to feel responsible for causing a woman's infertility. I just think it's too bad for the doctors to be so self-centered and not pay attention to what the patient needs/wants. Look around and find someone who you trust who can put it in for you!!! For this type of procedure, I would look for experience, experience, experience. Best,

Thankyou so much to everyone that responded! It is really helpful getting your experiences and opinions on this. I'm going to research the Nuvaring, since it sounds like so many of you like it, but I'm not sure if that would be a good option for me as it still secretes hormones, although it seems like it would be more leveled. I just seem to have been having a harder time with PMS, the past few months, like it lasts longer and is much more intense then what's normal for me. I can only attribute it to the hormones, but according to what I've researched about the YAZ, it's supposed to make it easier on your body since you're not off of hormones for a whole week and then back on again.
I'm going to give the Yaz a fair try, but in the meantime I'm definately scheduling an appt. to get a second opinion as to the IUD. Amy, thanks so much for sharing your experience, if I decide to go with the IUD I'll just have to really work hard at finding someone who's willing and well qualified to do it. I too agree that the pill is just so much more common, and the IUD isn't. So it's easier for Dr.s to just prescribe a pill. Again thank you EVERYONE, for your help, it's so much appreciated. :) I'll keep you updated, Lisa

This is exactly why the Nuvaring may be the prfect method for you. My gyne prescribed it for me for exactly these reasons: to help overcome very debilitating PMDD which had me in torment for 2 weeks out of every 4. The point about the Nuvaring is it does not allow the female sex hormones to fluctuate throughout the month. The levels climb to a certain level after a few days and then stay there until you either have your week "off" and bleed or just go straight to a new Nuvaring and forsake the bleeding period, which is what I did for the first year and it worked great.

As another poster said, the Nuvaring is a medical miracle. I no longer suffer the torment of PMDD each month and my life is so much better for it. You couldn't pay me any amount of money to switch to a different birth control method. For me, the birth control benefits of the Nuvaring are of little importance: what it does for my mood swings is everything.

Try it: you have nothing to lose.

Clare

<<I immediately got pregnant while trying to prevent it on the "rhythm method" to which you refer.>>

Fertility Awareness AKA Natural Family Planning IS NOT the rhythm method. It is unfortunate that this cofusion remains even among "health care professonals". :) There are various systems of NFP (cervical mucus only such as Billings & Creighton, Syptmothermal, Marquette which uses a monitor). Here is a recent article that reported on Symptothermal is as effective as OCs. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17282285/

I have the merina IUD...which I love...this one has hormones that are released only in your uterus and do not spread to the rest of your body. It lasts for 5 years and is plastic...as opposed to the copper one you mentioned. I have a child and knew we were not going to want any more and after having numerous problems with the patch I thought this was a good alternative. My doc was very supportive. I also have another friend who had an IUD for years with no problems. Check around and do your own research...And look for a different doc depending on what you decide is best for you. Good luck!

Debra

Bite off more than you can chew. Then chew it---Ella Williams

<<this one has hormones that are released only in your uterus and do not spread to the rest of your body.>>

Small amounts of progestin are released into the blood.
Although Mirena has mainly local progestational effects, the progestin may inhibit ovulation which indicates the hormone effects are not limited to the uterus.
http://www.berlex.com/html/products/pi/Mirena_PI.pdf?C=&c=

Edited to grammar and spelling. :)

Debra and others using the mirena iud:

I am considering the Mirena IUD which contains hormones, because the copper IUD is not an option for me due to the fact that I have very heavy, lengthy periods. I am hesitant to use more hormones, since every pill I have ever tried - low this/low that, etc has had negative side effects. Yasmin for me was the worst by far. On yasmine, I was actually angry all the time and that is not my personality. Plus, I would get two periods per month. My question is: how does everyone using this IUD like it? Does it decrease the length of your period? Does it decrease the bleeding? What are your side effects? Pros and cons? I am scheduled to get the Mirena next week so I need the info.

Nicole

I also recommend the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" even if you do not want to use it for birth control. I learned more about my body from that book than anywhere else. The birth control in this book is different than those used in the past. My sil was on b/c pills for MANY years without a break. This contributed to endometriosis(sp is incorrect, I know) and fertility problems, so I definitely recommend taking a break occasionally.

Of course, you can always use a condom and vaginal foam. I have heard this referred to as "fort knox" birth control!:p

Taking charge of your fertility is nothing the the rhythm method at all! If you learn about your body you can tell when you are fertile and when you are not...Read the book and no woman will ever need a hormonal type of birth control ever again. Going back to nature is the way to go with our bodies. IMO.

FYI, you can find lots of information from IUD users themselves if you google "IUD divas". I was pointed in this direction on another forum.

Marina

<<My sil was on b/c pills for MANY years without a break. This contributed to endometriosis(sp is incorrect, I know) and fertility problems, so I definitely recommend taking a break occasionally.>>

This is a myth. There is no scientific evidence to support taking a break from oral contraceptives. In fact, the pill is used to manage/treat endometriosis.

"The cause of endometriosis is unknown though there are a few theories that suggest possible causes. One theory suggests that during menstruation, some of the menstrual tissue backs up through the fallopian tubes into the abdomen where it implants and grows. Another theory indicates that it is a genetic birth abnormality in which endometrial cells develop outside the uterus during fetal development."
http://www.ivf.com/endohtml.html

"Birth control pills (oral contraceptives) that contain estrogen and progestin are also called "the Pill." Birth control pills relieve endometriosis by stopping ovulation and decreasing the endometrium's monthly cycle of growing, bleeding, and shedding. They also affect the endometriosis growths (implants), making them shrink and bleed less.1" http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/Birth-control-pills-for-endometriosis

Describes treatment options for endometriosis and hormonal contraceptives are included
http://www.endometriosis.org/treatment.html

I am just sharing the medical consensus based on the evidence. I certainly can't explain why a physician would tell a patient this and will keep my opinons to myself. :) Again, this according to the current evidence and could change tomorrow.

Hi Nicole...

Just have to say that I love the Mirena IUD. My periods have decreased to almost nothing...in fact for the first couple of months I didn't have one at all. I actually went back in to the gyno to check things! Since then I have a period that lasts about a day...and really don't need to use anything except a panty liner. I am married and have my one perfect DD..so kids and sexually transmitted diseases are not a problem for me. No side effects except for the lack of period. I always tolerated the pill well, though, so keep that in mind. I did have a problem with breakthrough bleeding with the patch which is why I switched to begin with. The only con I had was the insertion was definfitely uncomfortable and had cramps for a couple of days after. My DH has said that he can feel it sometimes, too...but without being too explicit...I am 5'2 and my DH is a much larger man. So really, I have nothing but good things to say...and I am glad most of all that I don't have to worry about birth control on a daily, weekly, monthly, or even yearly basis.

Good luck on your decision!

Debra

Bite off more than you can chew. Then chew it---Ella Williams

Boy, can I relate to a lot of this and the timing couldn't be better as I'm having some real issues with my period. I was on the pill for years then went off and decided to do no hormonal therapy - we just use condoms. Besides, I had so much breakthrough bleeding with bcp in the past.

Well, I'm in the same boat as many of you - horrible PMS and very bad bleeding. I feel like I'm having some sort of discharge 3 weeks out of 4 and want to kill someone for at least one of those weeks as well!

I go to my gyn. in April, and am considering either the Nuva ring or back on bcp. Here's my dilemma...I have to take an antibiotic immediately post-coital to prevent UTI's. My concern is that antibiotics can compromise your bcp effectiveness...is it the same with the nuvaring? I hate to still use condoms along with bcp/hormonal therapy. And, I can't do the diaphragm - too messy and even makes more more prone to UTI's.

I really and truly need a break from my period - I can't take it!!

Thanks for letting me vent and commiserate with many of you!

Heidi

Hi Debra,

thanks for the info about your Mirena IUD. I am getting mine on tuesday, and I just hope to have half the success and positive experience that you have. Right now, I am bleeding so heavy that I am sure to be anemic.

Nicole

Hi Debra,

thanks for the info about your Mirena IUD. I am getting mine on tuesday, and I just hope to have half the success and positive experience that you have. Right now, I am bleeding so heavy that I am sure to be anemic.

Nicole

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.