Billing ? for Personal Trainers

fitdeb

Cathlete
I would appreciate some advice is you don't mind.

I have been working as a fitness trainer, in my own home, for several years - I am working with only 6 clients - acquaintances and referrals from friends.

Tomorrow I have a testing/assessment meeting with a new client who I really don't know. My question is two-fold - 1) do you bill for the testing/assessment appointment (I haven't been for friends) and 2) are you asking them to pre-pay? Currently I bill at the end of the month, but I know my clients directly or they are friends of friends, so I don't worry about whether or not they will pay me.

I am excited (and nervous too!) to know that my "name" has gotten out in the community and someone has approached me.

Any light you can shed on the whole billing, discount plans, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Debbie Russo

I have been working as a fitness trainer, in my own home, for several years - I am working with only 6 clients - acquaintances and referrals from friends.

Tomorrow I have a testing/assessment meeting with a new client who I really don't know. My question is two-fold - 1) do you bill for the testing/assessment appointment (I haven't been for friends) and 2) are you asking them to pre-pay? Currently I bill at the end of the month, but I know my clients directly or they are friends of friends, so I don't worry about whether or not they will pay me.

I am excited (and nervous too!) to know that my "name" has gotten out in the community and someone has approached me.

Any light you can shed on the whole billing, discount plans, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Debbie Russo

Friends, Family & "just clients" EVERYTHING is payable in advance in my business. I do provide payment plans but its always 2/3 of total program fee up front then balance within 30 days. Very few want a plan- they pay up front & in full...Some long term clients just pay me X amount every pay period and I deduct their session fee as we go along. Thats only available to my "lifer" clients- everyone chooses a program & pays up front.
The only thing I provide "free" is an initial 60 minute consult- its just talking about their needs & expectations & mine. Fit Tests are Session 1 of their program .

I've been very successful doing it this way for 3 years now.

sorry, i cannot answer your quetsions but this is something i would LOVE to do!! how did you ladies get started? im so passionate about fitness and would absolutely love to work in the industry, im just not sure how to go about it. TIA!!!

sorry, i cannot answer your quetsions but this is something i would LOVE to do!! how did you ladies get started? im so passionate about fitness and would absolutely love to work in the industry, im just not sure how to go about it. TIA!!!

Over in Social Groups theres a Personal Trainers Club. There are tons & tons of ideas as to how to get started. Good Luck!

where are the social groups? I am interested in personal training also but do not see social groups anywhere

When a new client comes to meet me and discuss what I do and how I do it...thats free, we talk during that visit about the fee schedule and how I structure my payment program.
If they sign up on visit #1, they pay. I work my program in sessions of 6 visits, so on visit #1 they pay in full for 6 visits, when those are up they either sign up for 6 more or there done...there choice. This works great! good luck...but my general rule is that when you pay first and put your money where your mouth is your more likely to show up on time, not cancel and do the work....when they haven't paid they are more likely to bag it....
elena

I just have some general advice for you according to how we run our business. I think it's important to get the money up front. It's so easy to be lenient and then never get paid. Even with friends and family, sometimes people think it's easy not to pay you since you will understand. We've run into that many times. However, I think it's good to be flexible as well. Perhaps you could offer a session by session fee. That way your client would be able to "take you for a test drive" to see if you two work well together. After that you could set up different payment arrangements. If you would like to get paid up front for more than one session at a time in the future, I would make it clear in your initial meeting so that there's no confusion. Too many times I have seen my friends or family be lenient with people and end up having to eat their costs. Just my honest opinion - I hope it helps! :)

We got something here.

Well lady's I'm so exited. I'm a military spouse so here on base we got offer to be a personal trainer, I call this person and ask, the program is 6 months long from Monday trough Thursday 9:30 to 2:30 the whole program cost $6300.00 and here is the exiting part:) FREE for us.
I will take this opportunity I will learn and get better, I know my DH want's to open his own Gym when he get's out of the Marine Corps. So what better opportunity for my self, become a personal trainer and help my DH with his dream..:eek:

Eunice

Great question. Since you don't know this person, I would request payment up front for everything (i.e., assessment and training). Do you use Paypal? Otherwise, you could let her/him know before s/he comes to your house. Have fun!

Thanks in advance,
Debbie Russo

Thank you

Thank you all for you advice.

She didn't bat an eyelash when I told her that I require payment in advance and that there was a fee for the assessment/testing session.

She prepaided for one month, 2x per week. Yeah!

Thanks again,
Debbie Russo

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.