Big/Large dog advice needed!

kims

Cathlete
Hi all,

I was hoping that I could get as many tips/advice as possible from people in the know about how to acclimate my Pyrenees to living indoors after being an outside dog for over a year.

Some background: we did live on a few acres and Queen, my pyrenees, stayed outside and 'took care of' her two horse buds.

Well, we moved to Pa. and I donated my beloved horses to a riding club for children.
So Queen loses her buds.
Now I am bringing her here and she will be a house dog.

I don't anticipate any potty problems as she would never mess on our back porch when she stayed there before moving to the barn. The only time she made a boob was when she got an upset stomach once.

But...I guess I'm worried that since she is already an introvert and it takes her a while to adapt to change, I'm not gonna have the wisdom to make this transaction easy for her...and myself!!! (sorry if that isn't proper grammar) :)

So, I know there are several really knowledgeable dog people here and I was hoping I could count on you all for your advice.

Dog lovers, I know you all are busy, but please help....DO IT FOR QUEEN!!! ;)

TIA

Will she have any fenced area outside to play in? Does she not like coming inside?

I have an English Mastiff that would love to live inside but I try to keep him out most of the time. He has a room in the basement that he can go to for whenever he wants or needs but lately is refusing to go down there and wants to stay upstairs when he's in. I think it has more to do with the westie that has inside privileges. ;)

Hi Rhondalyn,

No, no fenced yard....sigh....I do have a patio that we will be making use of :)

The couple of times I had her in the house when she was younger, pre-barn, she seemed okay.
She doesn't get excited about much...except maybe cats.
She really hates cat and thank goodness we don't have any.

I look forward to taking her on walks through out the day and we do have a small enclosed base ball field a very short distance from our house.
I was thinking I would take her there and let her off the leash if she wants to just run a bit.

How do the people with the poop bags dispose of them? Do they put them just into the garbage or is there a special container I should get...?

I gotta do this right. My Queen is a very unique creature! :)

I think she'll probably do fine inside as long as she is exercised enough. Having an enclosed field that will allow her to run will help also. I'm assuming she does well on leash? Just in case you happen to pass any cats. ;)

I'm not really one of the in the know people, I just have a big dog. :D And I live in the country and don't need to use the poo bags so someone else will have to help with that. ;)

Good luck. I hope it's a smooth transition for both of you.

I wouldn't worry too much, she will probably be fine. Dogs are pack animals, so most likely she will enjoy being part of her family (pack).

Will she be alone during the day or are you at home?

I would exercise her at least 30 to 60 minutes vigorously 6 times per week. Having her run off-leash is great but shouldn't be seperate from the exercise time. Pyrenees are working dogs, she has to run, walk, roller skate, etc. next to you to get her tuckered out and to establish you as the "pack leader". Walking/running next to you means, paying attention, no "playing vacuum cleaner" with the nose on the floor. If you do that you will have a lot less problems with her in the house.

The doggie bags can be disposed in a regular trash can.

Hi Carola and thanks,

Yes, I will be home with her.

So from the first her outside activities should be controlled by me, do I have that correct?

Should I wait until I've established my roll as leader to let her play off leash?

She has not shown any type of dominance issues from the beginning. Our tiny male chichua..ohheck, I can never spell that right....was the boss from day one.
She played very well with my Bichon, actually acting like a silly kid with him...jumping and rolling around, just being silly.

I no longer have the smaller dogs. She is quiet and serious by herself, but does get playful off and on, if that makes any sense.

I have devoted the next couple of months to getting her settled and happy, so maybe with that in mind and the fact that I really adore her, we'll be okay!

Keep the tips coming. I'm loving this and again....TIA!!

Re:poop bags. I didn't know if there was something bio-degradable I was supposed to use or should I get just plain ol' cheap plastic bags...?????

I replied again to check my avatar and to see if I could get more replies.

I really hope to get lots of input! :)

I would contact GP rescue. They will have dealt with this exact issue plenty and will be able to offer breed-specific advice.

I know with Great Danes, so many people surrender them after leaving them out their whole lives. It's sometimes hard to get them inside the house at first, especially if they have been smacked to keep them out. But after that, it's more of a challange to get them back out for potty. At that point, they are liking living indoors (where they belong!) and are afraid of being left out again. So I would have to be outside with them, where they can see me, or they will just want to come right back in.

I wouldn't worry too much, she will probably be fine. Dogs are pack animals, so most likely she will enjoy being part of her family (pack).

Will she be alone during the day or are you at home?

I would exercise her at least 30 to 60 minutes vigorously 6 times per week. Having her run off-leash is great but shouldn't be seperate from the exercise time. Pyrenees are working dogs, she has to run, walk, roller skate, etc. next to you to get her tuckered out and to establish you as the "pack leader". Walking/running next to you means, paying attention, no "playing vacuum cleaner" with the nose on the floor. If you do that you will have a lot less problems with her in the house.

The doggie bags can be disposed in a regular trash can.

Carola,

Question for you on your avatar doggie. What breed of dog is it? It looks similar to a border collie which is what my DH wants to get. I have heard they need to have a "job" and do better on more land (which we don't have). I would appreciate your opinions.

Sorry for hijacking the thread - just saw the avatar pic and thought he/she is such a cute dog!

Carrie

Carrie,

Tuxedo is a Mini Australian Shepherd. He is a very special dog and my best friend!! He rarely leaves my side. In fact, I have 5 of those guys - yeah, I know, crazy dog lady :eek::D It kind of happened and now I can't imagine my life without them.

It is true that Border Collies and (Mini)Aussies need a lot of exercise and/or a job. Aussies are Border Collies with an OFF button :D:p Meaning, Aussies kick back with you after the work / exercise is done, Border Collies will go, go, go .... The look is pretty similar, however, Aussies are a little more solid and muscular than Border Collies, Border Collies have a tail, Aussies don't. There really is something to be said about a dog without a tail, especially after having lived with a Labrador who used his tail as a weapon :confused:, anything on the coffee table just went flying and as a greeting his tail woud knock you off your feet :eek:

I don't have a large yard by any means, I live in one of those cookie cutter, towel size backyard communities. My backyard is really tiny.

However, I am out with my dogs 6 times a week, we walk/run between 4 to 15 miles and go to the dog park several times a week and they chase balls and frisbees.

In the summer we are somewhat limited because it is so hot here in AZ that I have to be done with the run and dog park before 7 am. However, the rest of the year we go hiking, they go to herding and agility classes, roller blading, biking, hopefully this year I will be able to go horseback riding again and take them with me .........

I know Christine on this forum used to do search and rescue with her Aussie, Tucker. Many Aussies work as therapy dogs. You can do pretty much anything with them, they just like to be around their family.

Aussies are extremely smart, they always need to be challenged physically and mentally. They are very active, but of course, there is the occassional couch potato. My girl, Pepper, is one of them. She will go running with me, go to the dog park, she will do anything I ask her to do but she is perfectly content to not move at all and just hang out on the sofa next to me.

Three of my dogs are just firecrackers, I always have to be one step ahead of them. They are phenomenal agility dogs and herders but it takes me a while to get them tuckered out. Aussies are amazing athletes and their power needs to be channeled and directed.

As long as they are challenged they are the best dogs anyone can think of, extremely loyal, easy to train and so much fun to be around. An Aussie will be your constant shadow, owning an Aussie means to wave good-bye to your privacy in the bathroom :p However, they are not dogs for everyone, it takes a huge time commitment, I am out with them 1.5 to 3 hours per day plus some one-on-one time for training, petting, brushing, etc. A bored Aussie will be a nightmare!! I guarantee you they will find a job but it usually is not a job that you want them to do.

Sorry this was so long-winded! And sorry for hijacking that thread, Kims.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.