Biceps Tendinitis: How Can I Keep Lifting?

sunsdaughter

Cathlete
hello cathe and all!
i am halfway through STS mesocycle 2 and now have biceps tendinitis! :-(
i know that the best thing to do is to REST for 4-6 weeks and not lift, but that is going to be so hard! i don't want to lose the gains that i've made with STS.
has anyone else had this? how did you manage? did you keep lifting...maybe with lighter weights? not doing biceps, but still doing chest, shoulders, triceps, and back? i really, really don't want to completely stop lifting...i've resigned myself to putting STS on hold for now, but i at least want to be able to do light versions of Muscle Max, Gym Styles...something!
but, at the same time, i know that complete rest is probably the best thing to do...

advice??
thanks!!!

Well, you answered your own question, REST! You have to allow the tendon time to decrease the inflammation. If you keep lifting weights, even light weights, your body doesn't have a chance to break that inflammation cycle. I have treated many patients with this before. Besides rest, take an anti-inflammatory and perform cross friction massage. To perform this, use your index and middle finger and rub with a good amount of pressure perpendicular to the tendon. Its going to be uncomfortable but it helps break up the inflammation. Do this a couple times per day for about 3 minute intervals and then ice immediately after. I wouldn't touch a weight for at least 2 weeks. The longer you don't rest, the longer its going to take to heal. HTH.

I had biceps tendinitis and had to rest - it was VERY HARD, but you have to. And my PT started me out lifting a tuna can at home, haha... You laugh now, just you wait ....

Really, rest it... it's worth it because it will heal...

Elle

I agree with Ellejay.

If you rest now, you're likely to avoid a much worse problem with more pain and a longer recovery. Imagine that you're not upset about missing workouts,but because you can barely brush your teeth or your hair and even moving your arms to take a shower is really, really painful. Sounds dramatic, but that's what happened to me because I wouldn't listen to my body. It was awful.

That was a long time ago, but I've learned to pay attention to my limitations. A month or so ago, i had to abandon STS and in addition I actually just took a week off and restarted strength training tonight - and it was hard to do it and I certainly didn't want to because like you, I've worked hard for my gains - but I stared feeling twinges in my elbows. It made me MAD, but what can you do?

I hope you're doing better soon. If you rest and when you start up again you still feel pain, you haven't rested enough and give it some more time. You will be much better off in the long run. Good luck!

Please listen to the information you've been given in this thread.

Both of my arms have been bothering me for two years. At first it was only when I did pull ups and chin ups. Then it hurt whenever I did biceps work and chest work. I'm old enough to know better, but I continued to lift.

BIG MISTAKE.

I went to my doctor and she recommended an orthopedic guy for me to see. He said it didn’t seem like tennis elbow or golfer’s elbow but rather a severe straining of the brachioradialis in both arms, much like biceps tendonitis. He sent me to PT and I did heat, ice, rest, compression, massage, etc. They got a little better, but there is still a noticeable soreness at all times.

I have not lifted weights of any kind in almost a year. Not even 3 lbs. I can’t do most types of cardio (definitely no boxing!) as even simple arm movements during step or hi/lo leave my arms throbbing after a minute or two. I’ve tried doing step while keeping my arms behind my back or at my sides and just the impact of stepping onto the step bothers my arms. (I tried jogging and got plantar fasciitis in both feet. Boy, it sure sucks getting old!!!)

I am so depressed. I don’t know what to do. If I have a weekend of doing too much (like if my husband is out of town and I’m the only one there to grocery shop, do laundry, scoop kitty litter, etc), my arms suffer for it for at least an entire week of pain so bad I can't sleep and it hurts like mad to do my job (which is mostly typing). I’ve taken so much Advil over the last few months it doesn’t work anymore.

Sorry this veered into me-me-me territory - but I want my woes to be a cautionary tale. I thought I could beat this. I thought I could lift through the pain and it would go away. I thought I could keep lifting to avoid strength loss. I could not have been more wrong. What might have been a month or two of rest has resulted in a year of rest and am nowhere near healed or ready to lift again.

Please rest now so you can lift later!!!

REST.
Period.

No lifting at all for several weeks. Once the pain is gone, do some forearm supination with NO weight and start bicep curls with NO weight.

You really do not want to rupture the biceps tendon - that would require immediate surgery as the tendon tears and your biceps detaches from the bone. :(

REST. Please. Concentrate on lower body and core workouts.

Very sage advice. I've rested for about a week and a half, and while my arm is still a little sore, it does feel a lot better. I'm going to rest for a few more weeks and see how things go. I think my issue probably is more with my brachioradialis than my biceps. **sigh** it's so hard to rest but I definitely want to get better soon. I just have no patience.
Thanks for your advice ladies!!
Best to you all!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.