BFFM vs. Eat Clean Diet

princessbear

Cathlete
Hi all - I'm thinking of purchasing one of these two books and am looking for feedback as to what you liked/didn't like about either of them, along with YOUR RESULTS after applying the concepts ....

I've decided to "step up" my focus on nutrition, while I eat pretty healthy (most of the time), I'm quite sure I'm not getting all the nutrients that I may need.

Thanks!

I have both books, and I think both of them are worth purchasing. I can't think of anything I don't agree with in BFFM. The one thing I don't follow from ECD is not tracking calories/macronutrient ratios. Measuring portions with you hand is fine if you're just trying to clean up your nutrition and somewhat limit portion sizes, but to really make changes to your body you need to know how much is going in and what percentage is carbs, protein, and fat.

BFFM pretty much follows the same eating principles as Eat Clean Diet (clean, unprocessed food eaten 5-6 times per day). BFFM covers workouts also, and ECD does not. ECD contains some recipes, and BFFM doesn't.

I guess if you know what true clean eating is, get BFFM first. If you struggle with the "what to eat" problem, ECD will open your eyes to what you should and should not eat. If it comes in a box or a package, don't eat it!!! Hope this helps a little.

I have both, and agree with the last post. I don't like that Tosca doesn't advocate counting your calories, at least for people who are new to trying to lose weight or eat right. Counting your calories and journaling help tremendously with figuring out where the problems are, what works/doesn't work, and fine tuning to really get the results you want. For some, it may be fine, but I think it's not for a lot of us.

I never really used the Eat Clean Diet book, although I tried some of the recipes. They are ok, some really good. I followed BFFM for several months and lost 18 pounds (started around 153). I didn't follow it perfectly and I cheated more than he suggests, but I was coming from binge eating and I knew being too strict at first would backfire on me. BFFM is extremely detailed on diet, calories, helping you figure out where you can improve, and on cardio and weight training.

I am an aspiring vegan now and am not convinced of how much protein he says you need anymore, but his methods definitely work for people who want to get lean.

I am following the Tom Venuto book and I am finding it really effective for losing that last bit of fat. I have lost 2% body fat in a couple of weeks. There is quite a bit of calculating and recording involved at the beginning but after a while it all becomes second nature.

I haven't read the Eat Clean book but I would be interested in reading it at some point.

Workoutaholic - I am a vegan and I manage to follow the Tom Venuto concepts pretty well in terms of getting enough protein etc. I eat a lot of tofu and I have vegan protein powder mixed into my oatmeal etc. It absolutely can be done. There is a lot on information on www.veganfitness.net too.

Tan, thanks! I have read some negative stuff about unfermented soy products and am nervous about eating it, so I mostly don't have it. I love hemp protein though...what protein powder do you use?

BFFM is a great purchase. I think every fitness minded person should read it.

I haven't read the Eat Clean Diet.

I noticed that Tom Venuto has several books. Which one is the best to start with?

Thanks,
Heather

Never mind - I was searching by title...

Last edited:
I also cannot say enough good things about his book. In fact, Fitness Freak, it was reading one of your posts that inspired me to get a copy. I haven't looked back.
I read his e-book - Burn the Fat Feed The Muscle.
I know he has more out - they are on my amazon wish list.

Workoutaholic - I don't worry too much about the soy thing as I have read that you have to consume a LOT to wreak any havoc.
I do eat a lot of tofu so I use pea protein powder and rice milk to ring the changes. I live in the UK so I just buy the brands at the local health food store. I haven't tried hemp protein as it is expensive but I may try it when funds are more flowing!

I don't want to hijack this into a 'vegan' thread -I just wanted to add that I don't think that muscle building is the easiest thing to do on a vegan diet but it works for me because I am vegan for ethical reasons so I am prepared to do quite a lot of reasearch and food preparation to make it work. Otherwise it is probably easier as an omnivore.

Definitely get BFFM. That book has changed my life. Tosca's book IS good, but it's also pretty basic. Tom not only tells you what to do, he gives you the motivation and the drive and the confidence to do it. For me, it's the ONLY book to have on fat loss.

As for his other book, The Body Fat Solution, I'm still waiting for it in the mail. As far as I know, it's more basic than BFFM and is for people who may not want to go as strict as BFFM does. It's also for the emotional eater, and ones who aren't as interested in the bodybuilder's lifestyle.

dani

Hi Mary,

I've read the Eat Clean Diet, and I really liked it. I didn't buy it though. I always check books out at the library prior to purchasing. Unfortunately, they don't have BFFM yet, so I might end up buying it after reading all the positive posts in this thread!

I also read the Eat Clean Diet for Family and Kids. It says pretty much the same thing as the original, but had a lot more kid friendly kitchen activities and recipes.

Have a great day!

Oh, I can't believe I forgot to mention this! The best part about the BFFM book, for me, is the mental aspect. Venuto totally addresses how to train your brain to get it to do what you want it to. Diet books always seem to leave that out, and it's critical! We all know what to do for the most part with diet, but this books helps you actually to do it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.