Best machine for hamstring and butt..

mizlaur123

Cathlete
Hey guys,
I'm looking to really tone the backs of my legs for summer. Anyone have any suggestions for exercises or machine that will do this? I have been finishing my runs on the tredmil with walking at the highest incline (15 on the machine I use) at 4.2 speed. I feel like this is working the fronts of my legs but I don't really feel it in the back. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Lauren

You ARE actually working your hamstrings when you run and walk on an incline.

I'm not a fan of isolating machines, but I guess you could use the hamstring curl machine.

Demi Moore swore by squats for getting her tush in shape for Striptease...

I've also heard the step machine was good for that too.

Cathe's Form Pointers suggest the quarter deadlifts to target the hamstring muscles.

Classic Deadlifts are awesome for the backside....not the Romanian Deadlifts, or the Stiff Legged Deadlifts that Cathe does in most of her videos, though....I'm talking about the classic.....picking the barbell up from the floor, deadlifts (as long as the form is perfect!)

SHELC is also an awesome exercise...Supine Hip Elevation Leg Curls. Lie down on your back (the Supine) with your legs straight, feet on a stability ball. Elevate your hips by pressing down on the ball with your heels, then curl in your legs....yes, it's Brutal, but oh, so effective!

I know that Oxygen Magazine has other awesome exercises you can do for the butt and hamstrings in there Glutes special.

HTH!!!

Leg presses are great. To get more emphasis on your glutes and hammies, put your feet up high on the plate (not the middle) ;) Hope that helps.

I'd do a combo of straight-leg deadlifts (to hit one function of the hamstings) and leg curls (to hit the other).

And, as Amy suggested, full deadlifts are great for the entire back side of the body, as are kettlebell swings (many kettlebell moves based on the basic swing work the posterior chain very well).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.