Best Kettlebell Workout for Beginner

Roxie 1965

Cathlete
All this talk about kettlebell results has me intrigued thinking about buying one what do you all recommend for a beginner?

Hi there;

There's been a lot of kettlebell discussion on the boards lately! Most people who have tried it like Lauren Brooks' DVD, which is called something like "Ultimate Body Sculpt and Conditioning with Kettlebells". You can buy it on her website.

I really liked that one, and I wrote a review of it, which you can see here.

Other places to look might be the Art of Strength website - they sell a "beginner" DVD called "Providence", which is a very solid workout as well - it's challenging!

The Lauren Brooks one is good because she has great demonstrations of each exercise, and form is REALLY important for kettlebells.

Hope that helps! If you want, you can also do a search for "kettlebells", and you'll see plenty of other threads with longer discussions of the various workouts people have tried. Good luck!

Oh...

It just occurred to me that you might be talking about whick size kettlebell to buy. I think most women are comfortable with something in the 15-18 pound range. Many KBs are sold by KG, though. The 8 kg is 17.6 pounds, and it's a pretty good starting point.

I think either Lauren Brooks' DVD or the Beth Chamberlin/Anthony Diluglio "The Kettlebell way to the Perfect Body" DVD are good for beginners. Both offer good tutorials.

You may not be able to do the workouts all the way through as they show at first, but do what you can, and slow the pace or stop before they do if you feel form slipping.

Also, make sure to go through the tutorials until you feel comfortable with the moves.

Even better than a DVD would be to find an RKC (a certified KB instructor) in your area and take a training session/workshop with her/him. That way, you don't even have to buy bells to try it out, and you'd avoid form mistakes that could lead to injury.

Oh my! I was looking to buy Lauren's dvd after the great recommendations but it is $40. That seems like a lot for one workout on one dvd. Maybe I am just cheap:confused:?

Carrie

Oh my! I was looking to buy Lauren's dvd after the great recommendations but it is $40. That seems like a lot for one workout on one dvd. Maybe I am just cheap:confused:?

Carrie

Kettlebell workouts are almost all overpriced, IMO. The exceptions are Sarah Lurie's workouts.

Lauren's DVD DOES have two workouts on it (one about 15 minutes, one just under 40 minutes, plus a separate joint mobilization warm-up and a tutorial section).

Will be taking classes w/Lauren Brooks

All this excitement about kettlebell w/o's and I decided to google Lauren Brooks and lo & behold she is here in my hometown!! I think I will be going for the six week program. I just have to find out exactly where in San Diego as driving more than 20 minutes will be a deal breaker. However I did buy the dvd for $34.99, free shipping and an automatic $1.50 for shipping insurance and no sales tax! thank you all for the info, as always very informative!

I just looked on collage video and saw Gin Miller has a kettlebell workout for beginners so I think I may get it, I previewed it and it looked pretty simple.

Hi Roxie1965,

There was some discussion here about Gin Miller's new KB workout the other day, and several people mentioned that her form was not very good in it and that she was giving out incorrect information.

Even though they are more expensive, it might be worth it to instead get Lauren's DVD or The Kettlebell Way (the AOS Providence remake) since you know you'll be getting quality instruction in those two.

Hope this helps! :)

All this excitement about kettlebell w/o's and I decided to google Lauren Brooks and lo & behold she is here in my hometown!! I think I will be going for the six week program. I just have to find out exactly where in San Diego as driving more than 20 minutes will be a deal breaker. However I did buy the dvd for $34.99, free shipping and an automatic $1.50 for shipping insurance and no sales tax! thank you all for the info, as always very informative!

How fun to see another San Diegan here! What part of San Diego are you in?

Lauren is located in Encinitas (between Encinitas Blvd and Leucadia Blvd), and she teaches classes out of her house. Tneah from the forums and I did a three-week session with Lauren earlier this month, and it was great! It was so worth it to get some hands-on instruction from her! I'm up in Carlsbad, so it wasn't too far of a drive for me.

I am in La Mesa (Mt. Helix). Wow, Encinitas, I will really have to think about that drive. Especially if there is an accident, I would be looking at one hour each way. Carlsbad is beautiful, nice to be so near the ocean. I would love to have morning marine layer!!

I am in La Mesa (Mt. Helix). Wow, Encinitas, I will really have to think about that drive. Especially if there is an accident, I would be looking at one hour each way. Carlsbad is beautiful, nice to be so near the ocean. I would love to have morning marine layer!!

What a small world! I grew up in El Cajon, near Mt. Helix! Yes, it could be a bit of a drive for you, but it might be worth it, esp. if you do a three-week session. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.