Best hair epilator out there

Hi, I am new to the forums and am hoping you ladies have some good advice about hair epilators. I am so tired of shaving and waxing. Which one is the best, which one should I buy? Can anyone help?

Hi. I really like my Braun Silk Epil. It has a light on it which is so helpful to see all the little hairs. It's uncomfortable at first but I've done it 4 years now and now I don't feel it at all. It really does prevent that sharp stubble I always got the day after shaving. It never gets all the little hairs like shaving but overall your legs will be and stay smoother longer. Hope that helps!

The Braun Silk Epil 7 is the one I use as well. I've owned it for 2.5 years and have had no problems. I used to have something by Remington but its little tweezer plates somehow got off-kilter so it would spin but not pluck.

I use the Braun Silk Epil 5. Got it about 3 years ago and love it. I don't use the massaging head so I can get really close. Choosing to epilate was the best decision I ever made.

How often do you use it? I have to shave every day. I have very dark, thick hair and very fair skin. My sister only has to shave once a week!

I only use mine once a week but I never had really dark, thick hair and could get away with shaving only a few times a week (or once a week in the winter when no one saw my legs). If anywhere I had dark, thick hair it was my underarms but now that I have been using the epilator for so long, it comes in very sparse, thin, and lighter than before and I only epilate my underarms once a week now. I could probably go a 10 days before I had to but I always do my legs and underarms on the weekend.

I think you will find that after a while you can cut down on the frequency but it might take a year or more before you can do that.

It stings at first. My first use I waited until I had a leg full of hair but I do not recommend that lol! Try shaving, waiting a day for a few to "sprout" thru and go from there. Ingrown hairs are an issue but I use exfoliating gloves instead of a washcloth in the shower and I think that helps. Good luck!

I tried everything too, but 4 months ago I decided to to try laser hair removal by a professional. It was $370.00 for 5 sessions and the hair doesn't come back any more. I don't know why I ever waited. I began with my upper lip, then my chin.
I've already been getting price quotes for other areas. ;)

It is painful. You really do feel each hair being plucked as you move the epilator. Different areas of your leg will have different sensitivity. My shins were more painful than my calves and the front of my knees and inner and outer thighs were more painful than my lower legs. My underarms were the most sensitive but I don't even feel pain there anymore since doing it every week for several months. Your pain threshhold increases with time so you will eventually stop feeling the pain. I have used a facial epilator on my peach fuzz on my face which is the most painful and it actually brings tears to my eyes (no shame in saying that). I have come to terms with the fact that I am the only one bothered by my fuzz so it is not worth the pain anymore although I suspect if I did it weekly my face would toughen up.

In grown hairs can be a concern but if you exfoliate as taterkc mentioned or dry brush, you shouldn't have a problem.

Can't afford the laser removal. I took the plunge and ordered the Braun Epil 7. Can't wait to get it and try it out!!. I have the thick, dark hair that grows back fast. Will be great to see how it is in a year's time!

Thanks ladies! I can't afford laser either so I bought the Braun Silk Epil 7 after reading this thread. I have very thick hair on my lower legs. It did hurt but not as bad as I figured. I think it hurts more in the shower so I do it dry. Didn't get all the hair the first time which isn't a problem, so I am doing it every few days on my lower legs. On my upper legs it worked really well as I have less hair there. I also used it with the face cap on my eyebrows and it worked well. I am happy with my purchase...:)

I use Groupon for hair laser removal. I paid $100 for under arm, and a year later $100 for bikini line. Very satisfied. I have dark hair, and with shaving, the roots still show... like I didn't shave.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.