Best DVDs for Functional Fitness

ginny mahaney

Good morning Cathletes! I'm interested in incorporating more functional fitness into my routine and was hoping someone might have some recommendations for me. I'm very fit and even though I've done STS, XTrain, P90X, P90X2, P90X3 and Insanity Asylum over the last 3 years, I'm in my late 40's now and am finding that I'm more injury prone on the tennis court. I've been experiencing one injury after another over the last 2 years (posterior tibial tendonitis, achilles tendonitis, tennis elbow). I thought incorporating some functional training might help.

I own most of Cathe's DVDs but haven't bought ICE or Strong & Sweaty yet since I have so many already, lol. Looking on her site, the only ones that I see using the word "functional" are XTrain Super Cuts and Drill Max. Any others that you are aware of? Or are there any DVDs from other instructors that you would recommend?

Thanks!
Ginny

Hi Ginny:

I'm not sure I even know or could define what functional fitness means any more. The world of fitness moves at a pace that almost rivals that of technology! I think a good way forward is maybe to focus on circuits/metabolic conditioning. I think the combination of a weighted move that is a moderate weight and where the move is done through a range of motion and produces both a muscle toning (such an old-fashioned word at this point!) and cardiovascular effect, that is as close to functional fitness as I think I can approximate. See what I mean? The range of motion, the use of moderate weight rather than heavy weight and the linking together of a series of moves to create a total workout, all of these factors contribute to create a workout where repetition and stress upon a single joint/muscle attachment is lessened and therefore risk of injury is reduced. Instead, it will involve multiple joints per move and distribute stress throughout the body as you perform each rep.

So, yes to Supercuts and Drill Max, but also to ICE Metabolic total body, to Athletic Conditioning and Afterburn from Low Impact Series, and to Flextrain, to Bootcamps (original and Strong and Sweaty), and look at the first sections of Lean Legs & Abs and Great Glutes: this is the kind of metabolic conditioning I am referring to. Also PHA training from S&S series. Add in the met con workout from the new Fit Split. And then look at other trainers too because there's a world of it out there and it's exciting stuff!

Look at Patrick Goudeau: his Lean Hot Body, Hard Work Conditioning 1 &2, look at Mike Donavanik DVDs and Toby Massenburg. All of these trainers excel at this kind of training and will keep you busy all year long!

Clare

Mark Lauren's EFX. The purpose of EFX is to train you in the ability to maintain proper body alignment while moving in all planes of motion. It is functional fitness. Form and control are Paramount. This is from the guide that came with the DVDs. Love these. Challenging in a whole different way. They're like a magic potion for your core. Great abs!

Mark Lauren's EFX. The purpose of EFX is to train you in the ability to maintain proper body alignment while moving in all planes of motion. It is functional fitness. Form and control are Paramount. This is from the guide that came with the DVDs. Love these. Challenging in a whole different way. They're like a magic potion for your core. Great abs!

Karen:

do you own YAYOG too? Are the 2 DVD sets very different from each other? Is it worth getting both? Should we start with one and progress to the other? Any recommendations? Thanks!

Clare

Karen:

do you own YAYOG too? Are the 2 DVD sets very different from each other? Is it worth getting both? Should we start with one and progress to the other? Any recommendations? Thanks!

Clare

Hey Clare! How are you? The two sets are very different. I have both, and use them regularly. If you wanted to start with one, start with YAYOG, but, I use them together, alternating every other day. I feel that YAYOG is more metabolic, EFX is more about control, and precise movement.
I'm always interested in how others view a program. Please let me know what you think, if you give it a go. Take care.

Hey Clare! How are you? The two sets are very different. I have both, and use them regularly. If you wanted to start with one, start with YAYOG, but, I use them together, alternating every other day. I feel that YAYOG is more metabolic, EFX is more about control, and precise movement.
I'm always interested in how others view a program. Please let me know what you think, if you give it a go. Take care.

Thanks for the info Karen. I can see a need for both. Maybe they'll help me with my push ups too. I need to consolidate those. They are now in my amazon basket! Stay well and warm in January.

Clare

Love this forum!

I hadn't heard about Mark's workout so I searched youtube. His stuff looks very good, nice slower pace so you can really get into correct position. I think this is going on my "want" list!

You might enjoy a Kettle bell workout like the Scorcher series by Dasha Libin. Four DVDs time for each a little over 30 min.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.