Beginning Strengh Training

ngadsby

Dear Cathe,
I'm a 49 yr old female, 5'2", 125 lbs, in good health (no problems) but not in shape. I'd like to try strength training with free weights and a video,and need some advice on a good video for a beginner, and another for when I advance (positive thinking!) I'm not familiar with any of the tapes or the people who do them (not even you)but I came across your name with rave reviews on another web site.

Thanks in advance for your much needed advice!
NancyG

Hi Nancy!

I'm not Cathe, maybe she will have time to respond also. Just to let you know, the 1st. strength tape I ever bought was Cathe's Maximum Intensity Strength (also known as MIS). I would think since you are in good health that you could do this tape as long as you started off with light weight. The beauty of this tape is that once you get your correct form down and get accustomed to the weight you are using, you can just increase your weight as you progress. It is a fun tape and Cathe cues so well in it. Also, she uses a barbell, dumbells and her step (as a bench). All the barbell moves can also be done with dumbells if you don't own a barbell at this time. (But take it from me~~Once you try the tape, you will be running to the store for one!!) Let us know what you decide.....AND WELCOME!!!
happy.gif

Fun!

i just wanted to remind you that the women on MIS (and the other tapes) are in wonderful shape and have been working out for years, just so you don't get discouraged if you aren't able to keep up the first few rounds. I'm glad you came across Cathe's name - you are lucky to start with her because she truly is the best instructor that I've had the pleasure of exercising with!(Through video, I wish I could be there in person!!)
Good luck and I'm sure you'll notice results within just a couple of weeks! Have FUN!!

Hi Nancy!

Welcome to the site. I enjoyed hearing from you.

I truly think that you will enjoy my Maximum Intensity Strength tape. It is appropriate for all fitness levels and works the entire body. I will provide you with form pointers throughout the tape. Start with lighter weights and as you get stronger you will gradually increase the amount of weight that you can lift. If you find yourself totally enjoying weight training and wanting to try even more tapes, I'd also like to recommend my Pure Strength Series. This is a three pack video series which breaks down the workouts to just a few muscle groups per tape. You'll do a more focused workout per body part on each of the tapes. Hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please post again or you can also read the write ups about our tapes (which can be found on the home page, left hand column). Good luck with everything. Please let us know how you are doing.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.