Beginner Rotation

ruthie33

Cathlete
Hi Cathe:

I'm a beginner to your fitness regime! I just received my first Cathe DVD which is Basic Step + Cardio & Weights on one DVD. When I looked at your beginner rotation thread, obviously the DVD that you are talking about are different set ups from the one that I have because my DVD doesn't have the add ons that you were discussing. This DVD was sent to me by a loyal Cathe fan who had received it but already had both DVD's separately so she offered to mail it to me to try out!! What a classy lady!!
I really enjoyed the basic step (did it twice yesterday on my first day and my calf muscles are on fire today) and I watched the Cardio & Weights portion and it looks like something I can handle once I master some of the "steps" and gain a little confidence. I will have to purchase some heavier hand weights as I only have 3, 5, & 8lb hand weights. But I so enjoyed it!!!
I would like to purchase 2 more DVD's right now to get a good start on my collection. What would you suggest that I could use in conjunction with what I have so I can begin to do a structured rotation?
Thanks for your help!!!!

I have and LOVE Muscle Max, I also have and LOVE Butts and Guts, however BG might be advanced, I'm advanced and if I don't do it for a while I sure feel it for a few days, but it's a great one! I also really enjoy Kick Max.
I'm looking to add a few more too. I must say I never liked step workouts until I found Cathe, now I really enjoy them! You can view clips (up to 9 mins even! so you get a great taste of them) of her workouts on Shop Cathe, which I find so helpful!
If you are looking for more cardio, Look at low impact step, kick max(which doesnt use a step) or low max, (check out the clips and reviews) if you are looking for more weights, I really like Muscle max, it's one of my favorites, and I have sure seen some results from it. I'm also looking at Slow and Heavy, as I love weight lifting and the slower provides better results for me. But I am happy to report that Cathe does mix up her reps, which really helps a lot! I found that most instructors either do a 1 count, or a slow count, they dont mix it up.
Hope this helps some! I'm so new to Cathe that I cant report on many of her workouts. I just read the reviews, talk to people I know who have tried it and watch the clips and try to go from there.

I would suggest Low Impact Step it is what she recommends after basic step and it comes with Total Body Sculpting which is basic wts.

Thanks Liberty!!! I'm new to Cathe too and excited about the adventure. I love step - when I used to go to the gym, that was my favourite class! I do enjoy Tae-Bo as well so maybe Kick Max would be good for me! I think I'll probably go with Low Impact Step next - gradually building my way up. I'll have to see if she has Body Fusion on a DVD of it's own. I see it with Basic Step but I already have that. Total Body Stretching might be a good one to have as well. I'm a new member of Weight Watchers as well and I've set mini goals for myself and my rewards for these mini goals are bits & pieces to build up my home "gym" each time I reach a goal. Right now I have a treadmill, eliptical, a step and a few light hand weights and a few DVD's. I'd like to add some more weights, more Cathe DVD's and a stability ball (which I thought I had but I recently moved and it seems to have vanished!) I must say, this website is a wealth of knowledge & ideas!!!
It's nice to meet you! Where are you from?

Low impact step is fun! I got a disc with my step, it has short versions of Body Fusion, Basic Step, and Low Impact Step and they are a blast!
I dont have a barbell, or a ball, however am able to do them with free weights and slight modifications. Which is great. I can't do a ball as I only workout outside and between the kids and animals, wouldn't stay around for long!!
I'm in MO, love it here.
If you like tae bo you may find Kick max too slow. Check out the clip first. I found Tae bo to be too fast and too hard on the joints. I add hand weights and jumping jacks on Kick max and find it wonderful!
I got an elliptical this year because I dont care for cardio much and our winters can be intense and it may be the only cardio I may be able to get in, but since I started this rotation I haven't been on it much, I am enjoying the step workouts with Cathe.
I have a wide variety of workouts now. But set up a pretty intense rotation right now, and am almost done with it, not sure what to do next, which is why I'm looking at getting a couple more of Cathe's

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.