Beginner/Intermediate Check-In 3/19-3/25

Thanks for the advice Beth! When you are first starting out and excited about it all, it's way too easy to get caught up in it all and just start spending money! I want them all! lol...but I have to budget myself so I am only purchasing what I really need.
I have alot of workouts taped from Fit TV...they are a bit shorter, but at least they were free and I get the opportunity to really try them out before deciding to purchase. I had taped Low Max, and I really like that one so I am definately going to purchase it soon.
That's why I am really upset about my cable company cancelling Fit TV.I want to keep taping all the Cathe's so I can choose the ones I want!
;(
Stupid Cable!
Janet

Hi everyone,

This morning I did Karen Voight Burn & Firm "Just Upper body" and "Sweat Effect". I didn't get a chance to complete the entire workout of "Sweat Effect" (just 30 minutes only) because I was short on time. On the upper body I just used 5 pounds. I like that short 12 minute upper body workout. I only have Karen Voight Great Weighted Workout, Burn & Firm Circuit and 3 copies of her new workouts which I hope will be out very soon because these are great. Karen does low impact exercises and low impact circuits. However, I have read some negative reviews about her other workouts. These are the only workouts that I was interested in that gave good reviews and I know her new workouts will get good reviews also besides I hate high impact cardio.

--Kimberly C

"Here's to your health, to every moment, every week and month that you wake up to the privilege of another breath - another chance to get it right!" Oprah

Hi Kimberly. I've never tried any of her workouts, but a few of the girls in one of my groups really like her.
Besides Cathe's workouts, I do a few Kathy Smith,who I really like.. and when I am in the mood for something different I do Donna Richardson's 3 day rotation, but I do them all together. She makes me smile! I also sometimes do Denise Austin "Shrink Your Female Fat Zones"...but I can only do Denise in very small doses.She tends to irritate me sometimes, but that workout is a really good one to hit the trouble spots I have accumulated during all my pregnancies. ( I have 4 kids,an 8 yr old, 5 yr old twins, and a 2 1/2 yr old)
Cardio and Weights is on Fit Tv today. I have been hoping that they would show that one!!!! I was thinking of purchasing it with Imax2 because I can't seem to find just the VHS of it. I have been holding off purchasing it with Imax because I have Imax2 taped from Fit TV and I cant even get through half of it yet. lol
So, today I am going to do Cathe's Total Body Sculpting, and I am going to follow that with Stretch Max. I need something relatively simple because I have been pushing myself hard all week, and I think I really need a nice long relaxing stretch. Maybe next week I can tackle Cardio and Weights.It seems like my type of workout.
Have a great day!

Janet

Hi Janet,

According to reviews you probably should it is probably best to get Karen Voight Burn & Firm Circuit. It is chaptered very well where you can just to the cardio portion (24min), upper body (12min), abs, thigh & butt (23 min). The full circuit is 45 min. and the double circuit is 77 min. I happen to like Low Impact Step. I have heard mixed reviews about Low Max. Some people say the music is horrible. I guess it depends on what really interest you. I did recorded Low Max from Fit TV weeks ago but never actually really reviewed it or did the workout as of yet. I just need to record it on VHS to do the workout.

--Kimberly C

"Here's to your health, to every moment, every week and month that you wake up to the privilege of another breath - another chance to get it right!" Oprah

Janet, if you have Netflix you can rent almost any Karen Voight or Kathy Smith DVD to try it out first. I am also finding good prices at deepdiscountdvd.com.
Today I did the standing part of Gym Style Legs followed by stability ball abs. It is such a long workout I think I will get more out of it splitting it up. I will do some cardio before the floor legs to get more warmed up. I also have found putting the squats at the END of the standing legs works much better. I can do those slow lunges holding onto a table-all 4 of them on each leg that way. If you split Gym legs then that gives you 2 UB and 2LB workouts each in a 4 day split, adding on cardio or abs if you like. Cathe is going to do a 4 day split sometime in the future along with her boxing DVD but I am just creating my own!
My arms are still sore from pyramid UB so tomorrow instead of arms i will either stretch or do cardio. Then swimming (outdoors!) in the afternoon.
Beth

I did Yoga this morning (Kathy Smith new yoga basics) and then swam about 20 minutes this afternoon. It was a nice light day. Tomorrow is gym styles upper body-probably the back/sh/biceps since my triceps are STILL a little sore from the pyramid workout!!! I may also do 2 miles of Leslie before the weights. I just cannot do cardio after my weights. Then end it all with abs from CTX. I can't imagine how I existed with just videos and no DVD chaptering in the olden days!! I love mixing and matching.
Beth

Hi everyone,

Beth, I am going to take to a look at Netflix. I will see if I can find some that I would like. I can't wait for Cathe to make the Boxing Bag workout. I have my Wavemaster Boxing Bag that I got for Christmas and I still haven't use it.

I took today as a rest day. I am feeling like doing LIS and KV Strength Effect tomorrow which would be 1 1/2 hours. What the heck, the only thing I am doing tomorrow is grocery shopping.

--Kimberly C

Netflix has a good selection of Karen Voight, Kathy Smith, Firms, Denise Austen, and Leslie. I found I had to search by instructor name or specific title since they don't have an exercise genre. I used the Collage catalog to get a list of ones that looked good and then looked them up on Netflix. The Prevention 3-2-1 circuit is really good, as is Denise Austen's Power Zone using a stretchie band. The previews on Netflix aren't good-just a general infomercial about the instructor. And a lot of their descriptions and cover pixtures are wrong too! So you have to start with Collage's website to know exactly what you are getting.
Beth

I'm definately going to check out Netflix.I like to have a variety of workouts to keep it interesting. I have a College catalog so I will definately keep it on hand while browsing there.

Got my DVD's today.. looking foward to doing Body Fusion tomorrow.
I also got Push Pull, and Ab Hits. I want to add more short ab workouts after other workouts. I sometimes feel that my abs are getting enough of a targeted workout.
Took a day off today. Feeling crampy and bloated and lazy. lol
I usually take Saturday off, but my sis is coming over and I am going to get her hooked on Cathe tomorrow. lol
Have a great weekend!
janet

Hi everyone,

This morning I did KV Strength Effect and LIS. With Strength Effect I had to use 3 and 5 pound dumbells. I managed to exercise this week 5 days with doing 3 days upper body and 3 days of cardio. I actually planned to do more but wasn't able to. I think I did pretty good this week. Have a good weekend!

--Kimberly C

I did Leslie miles 4-5 plus gym Styles B/S/B timesaver premix, then All Step Abs from the CTX DVD. Now I am liking combining cardio plus weights into the same day. For a while I was keeping everything separate. I think tomorrow will be kickboxing plus floor legs from gym styles.
Beth

Hi!
I did Body Fusion today. Loved it! I enjoy doing step with weights in the same workout.It was a relatively easy workout for me, so afterwards I added the lower body sculpt..that did the trick!
I think tomorrow I am going to do Low Impact,since it is a bit more challenging than the step routine in BF, and add the upper body sculpt from Basic Step.I was going to do Low Max tomorrow,but after doing the lower body sculpt today, I want to give my legs a little break.
Bought some new workout clothes today!! AND new sneakers. lol
Kohls was having a 60% off sale so I got everything at great prices.
Hope you guys are having a great weekend!
Janet

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.