Been drinking a LOT more water...BUT...

morgs

Cathlete
May seem silly, but , I had to post:

I have literally been running to the bathroom every 20 minutes every day for the past four days! . The building that I work in only has one bathroom and of coarse it's downstairs, so, every 20 minutes I'm flying down an entire flight of stairs. Good excersize , BUT, it's becomming seriously disruptive.

I mean, this is what leaves me confused on the amount of water a person should consume every day. I've been following the Eat Clean , and Eat Right for your Blood Type diet , not to the tee, but by about 90 percent. I have recently been increasing my water in-take a lot, just because I know it's good for the bod. I am drinking about 4-5 16 oz bottles a day. Now,,, if I went by what Tosca Reno says you should drink as far as liters of water,( which I know I don't come close to a day ) that would leave me practically living in the bathroom ! Anyone else deal with this and does it eventually get better ?

Thanks !

~Morgs~

Hi there :)

I drink anywhere from 7 to 10 of those 16.9 ounce bottles a day and yes, i wish the bathroom at work was a bit closer too :p Your kidneys and bladder do eventually adjust to the water intake. You will still have to go more often then you are used to, but it won't be as bad as every 20 minutes.

Hi Jenn,

Thanks for the imput. For the past few years I've really been focusing on my work outs and eating right, but always had trouble with making sure I was getting enough water. I would normally just wait until I got thirsty, which I have read is not good. SO, I've been gradually [ increasing my amounts of water,,,which I am sure my bladder is not used to. I am working on getting in the habit of drinking more such as yourself,,,,,with,,,,fewer bathroom breaks that is ! :p
Morgs

You all know that drinking 8 - 10 glasses of water a day is a myth, right? You actually put too much stress on your kidneys and flush out many important vitamins/minerals if you go to the bathroom that much. Drink enough that your urine stays a limonade color and that is the perfect amount - too dark is not good, too light isn't either.

Katerchen ,,funny you mention that because one of my co-workers said that same thing ! This is what confuses me on what Tosca Reno says in the Eat Clean Diet. I can't remember the total liters that she drinks,,all I know is that what she recommends is a CRAZY amount. There is NO WAY I would be able to drink that much water in one day. Like you said, not necessary. What I am doing is drinking less coffee, and wine and pretty much substituting water for those. I figure if there is anything out there that I really should be drinking more of is water. Gotta tell ya, I DO feel better. I think your idea is a good way to guage how much to drink. Taxi cab yellow is probably not good, but crystal clear is not either. As with anything , I think a happy medium is the key. I'm going to stick with my 4-5 16 ouncers !

You all know that drinking 8 - 10 glasses of water a day is a myth, right? You actually put too much stress on your kidneys and flush out many important vitamins/minerals if you go to the bathroom that much. Drink enough that your urine stays a limonade color and that is the perfect amount - too dark is not good, too light isn't either.

ITA, unless you are really exercising/working for and extended period of time or live in a warm climate, too much, is too much.

If you eat a lot of water-rich foods, you don't really need to increase your water intake. Before, during, & after a workout you may feel you need to drink more water, if you do, you should. For most it wouldn't be liters though, and I never saw the need to drink liters a day. :)

Katerchen ,,funny you mention that because one of my co-workers said that same thing ! This is what confuses me on what Tosca Reno says in the Eat Clean Diet. I can't remember the total liters that she drinks,,all I know is that what she recommends is a CRAZY amount. There is NO WAY I would be able to drink that much water in one day. Like you said, not necessary. What I am doing is drinking less coffee, and wine and pretty much substituting water for those. I figure if there is anything out there that I really should be drinking more of is water. Gotta tell ya, I DO feel better. I think your idea is a good way to guage how much to drink. Taxi cab yellow is probably not good, but crystal clear is not either. As with anything , I think a happy medium is the key. I'm going to stick with my 4-5 16 ouncers !

Tosca Reno, no offense, wants to sell her books/products. If she regularly drinks that much water, she probably recommends some supplements to make up for what she excretes.

If one cuts out all artificial drinks (soda, alcohol, coffee/tea drinks that do not taste like the real thing and add so many empty calories, sport drinks, etc.) and drinks plain old water, the body will feel a whole lot better.

Just watch your pee- it should be pale yellow. If it's clear, you're drinking too much water. Other substances can cause you to need to pee more, such as caffeine. The main benefit to drinking lots of water is just to keep your hands busy- you're more likely to reach for the water if it's available if you're bored or stressed, instead of a snack. If you're drinking water to the point of discomfort, it's too much. I also pay attention to how the water tastes - if it tastes awesome, I know I need to drink a lot. If It doesn't, I ease off.

Tosca Reno, no offense, wants to sell her books/products. If she regularly drinks that much water, she probably recommends some supplements to make up for what she excretes.

If one cuts out all artificial drinks (soda, alcohol, coffee/tea drinks that do not taste like the real thing and add so many empty calories, sport drinks, etc.) and drinks plain old water, the body will feel a whole lot better.

From what I remember, Tosca's not a supplements person, in general, other than whey protein, which really isn't a supplement.

Lemonade colour might actually be too dark, depending on the number of lemons!

Wow..a myth, really?? I don't agree with that at all. Lots of evidence out there to support either side I suppose. To each their own.

If one is talking about drinking that much water that one has to go to the bathroom every 20 minutes: that is not a sign of drinking enough to satisfy a need, it is a sign of getting rid of the excess.

Like everything else, moderation is the key. One can have too much of anything, water (and even air) included.

Anyone else deal with this and does it eventually get better ?

Don't worry morgs, u don't sound silly...it is just your body adjusting and it will get better...it is true, if you wait until you actually feel thirsty...it is too late, you are already dehydrated...usually it is best to increase your water intake gradually...add 8oz and try that for a few days...then add another 8oz to your daily intake...if you r going that often you can dial back and continue a gradual increase....the old rule of thumb is just that...every body is unique and your requirements differ depending on other things like sodium intake, types of foods & other beverages, activity level, environment...[living here in the desert I NEED more water]...so even your body's needs will vary even from day to day...the lemonade or light yellow is a good gauge but please speak w/your doctor if you cannot find a comfortable balance...your kidneys need to stay hydrated...trust me you don't want kidney stones...and water is the best hydrator...BUT you can drink TOO much water...

See I think everyone is different in their water needs, just as different workouts work for different people. I drink TONS of water, but only use the bathroom 3 or 4 times a day (maybe I just have a oddly large bladder, IDK). My fiancee on the other hand drinks very little water, but is constantly in the bathroom.

The 64 oz of water is a myth that started w/ ONE FDA advisory statement made in 1945. The advisory states people need 64 oz of water a day and most of this is already supplied by food & liquids consumed.

It's one of those myths that's been so widely circulated for so long that it's considered gospel.

BTW, the line that if you wait until your thirsty it's too late--that's another myth. The thirst signal is human evolution at work. Your body tells you what it needs.

I only find I have to go to the bathroom frequently if I've been bloated (eg. TOM) or drank/ate or something that's a diuretic. (caffeine, asparagus, celery)

Drinking too much water has serious health implications (blood dilution can kill you!). If your body is telling you to go the bathroom that much, it's sending you a message that it cannot process what you're giving it. Back off! Watch your urine color as others have said.

Here's a really good article about it:
http://calorielab.com/news/2006/05/28/8-glasses-of-water-a-diet-urban-legend/

How much water you need can change daily depending on how much you exercise that day, the temp outside, how active you are...

I also follow the clean eats and all I drink is water and hot tea. I drink 4 cups first thing in the morning along w/ 1 c. of hot lemon water. I drink a 12 oz glass w/ all meals and water in between. I have to go to the bathroom maybe once an hour so maybe your body is just getting used to the extra hydration right now. Like the others have said, don't feel like you need to drown yourself in water but gauge what your body needs. Tosca's recommendations on the amount of daily water could be for a person bigger than you so you may not need that much water. But, keep in mind if you are consuming more protein you need that extra water :)

Don't worry morgs, u don't sound silly...it is just your body adjusting and it will get better...it is true, if you wait until you actually feel thirsty...it is too late, you are already dehydrated...usually it is best to increase your water intake gradually...add 8oz and try that for a few days...then add another 8oz to your daily intake...if you r going that often you can dial back and continue a gradual increase....the old rule of thumb is just that...every body is unique and your requirements differ depending on other things like sodium intake, types of foods & other beverages, activity level, environment...[living here in the desert I NEED more water]...so even your body's needs will vary even from day to day...the lemonade or light yellow is a good gauge but please speak w/your doctor if you cannot find a comfortable balance...your kidneys need to stay hydrated...trust me you don't want kidney stones...and water is the best hydrator...BUT you can drink TOO much water...

Hi buttons, welcome, if you don't mind, can I make a suggestion? Please increase your font size, I'm sure there is some good info in here, I just can't see it :D.

FWIW I drink an average of 4 or 5 16.9 bottles of water per day (probably 1 less if I'm not working out) and my urine is pretty much always a nice pretty light shade of yellow,lol, but a little darker with the first morning pee ofcourse.

I was hoping that sooner or later the bathroom trips would die down a little, and they have. Like I said, just one of those things that I really did not focus on before and thought, since doing Insanity & Cathe rotations it would be good to get in more water. I have heard of these 'recovery'drinks but don't use those becuase I eat a light supper after working out. Nice to know I'm not the only one who's dealt with this though. People at work sure got a laugh at the amount of times I was running downstairs to use the bathroom though !! :eek:

Just watch your pee- it should be pale yellow. If it's clear, you're drinking too much water. Other substances can cause you to need to pee more, such as caffeine. The main benefit to drinking lots of water is just to keep your hands busy- you're more likely to reach for the water if it's available if you're bored or stressed, instead of a snack. If you're drinking water to the point of discomfort, it's too much. I also pay attention to how the water tastes - if it tastes awesome, I know I need to drink a lot. If It doesn't, I ease off.

Good point !! I actually do tend to reach for it more often for the simple fact that it keeps me busy, AND keeps my hands out of the candy dish. I actually laughed at your first comment " Watch Your Pee" but it's true. I think I may actually be getting used to it now cause I swear I am not running to use the ladies room as much. Thanks again for the pointers !

Morgs

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.