Bedtime snacks

allwildgirl

Cathlete
Here's the sitch.

I usually work out in the evening. For instance, tonight, I came home, had a light supper (egg whites with veggies, some steamed carrots and a baked sweet potato), then about 1 1/2 hours after that, I worked out. I did MIC. There's NO way I can go to bed without eating a little something, so I had small bowl of cereal with soy milk.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for before-bed snacks that are light and easy and good for me?

I know some people worry about the carbs, but sometimes I'll have a piece of whole wheat toast and low fat peanut butter. Yummy! We also make fat free chocolate pudding and put a scoop of protien powder in it before we split it all up. That's good too.

Susan

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

http://www.picturetrail.com/dogs2birds

one thing I have quite often for my 9pm snack is an apple sliced up with cinnamon and 1/2 c cottage cheese.

apples are very low on the glycemic index so they are a good late night snack fruit...and with a little cinnamon and splenda (and even a dash of nutmeg) I feel like I am having a real treat...I balance out with a protein - usually cottage cheese

although cottage cheese is not my favorite..if I start pondering the origins of cottage cheese - I wont be able to think about it...so I just dont think about it! (okay enough about cottage cheese!)

I'm like Susan--I love toast in the evening. Sometimes I put a little all fruit black raspberry jam on it, Nutella }( :9, or peanut butter. I also like a bit of fruit with cheese from time to time.

Michele

- Wasa Crackers w/ either peanut butter, a small can of tuna or a serving of eggless salad(tofu)
- protein shake
- a cup of roasted garlic & tomato or roasted garlic & sweet potato soup, or any other fibrous veggie soup.
- a cup of vegetarian chili

I usually cook twice a week & prepare several mini-meals for me. Reheating doesn't bother me. So, I usually always have something on hand to reheat & eat. I also work out at either 7:30 or 8:00 PM.

I'll email you the roasted veggie soups if you'd like. They are delicious & pretty darn easy.

I work out in the evenings too. I usually have a protien and frozen fruit blender drink when I'm done working out, it hits the spot just right. The protien powder I have this time is called AfterMax Recovery Drink or something like that. It makes me grin every time, because if Cathe was ever to make a protien drink it would probably be called AfterMax :)

I will have some fat free ricotta cheese mixed with no sugar jelly and/or 1/2 cup shredded wheat with 1/2 cup light soy milk and splenda.

I change it up though after I get bored. I did the no fat pudding with a scoop of protein powder for the longest time. It was very satisfying.

An oatmeal and protein powder pancake or the cottage cheese and fruit also seem like good ideas.

Kashi crackers w/ hummus
Yogurt w/ fruit or wheat germ/almonds
Peanut butter or part skim mozzerella cheese w/ apple
Trail mix w/ skim milk
FF popcorn w/ grated parm cheese

I usually workout right before dinner, but still have the munchies before bed.

I know what you mean. Sometimes I have to work out in the evening too and then I am starving so I just drink my PM protein shake which has 40g of protein and fills me up so much that I don't want anything else.

Charlotte~~

How about veggies & dip? It works w/pretty much any diet. I'm a celery & cream cheese fan myself.

Or you could do what I do, & shove half a carton of malted milkballs down your throat at 10:00 pm. :eek:

LOL - I don't have any malted milk balls, but believe me, that would be tempting.:)

Oooooh, celery and cream cheese. I never thought of that.:)

I sometimes have a snack before bed. I'll sometimes have Albacore before bed, but I'll add a little fat to that to slow the digestion of the protein, such as a tablespoon of natural peanut butter or walnuts or peanuts or flax oil. You could also try cottage cheese and peanut butter. Cottage cheese is an 80% casein/20% whey protein blend. Casein protein is the slowest digesting protein, and when complimented by peanut butter which will slow it down even more, it takes a long time to digest and therefore your body has a longer supply of protein to keep off catabolism through much of the night.
There are a lot of mixed views on cottage cheese, I've found.
Susan C.M.
[link=http://lilypie.com][img noborder]http://bd.lilypie.com/elmYm5.png[/img][/link]

COOKIES!!!

Okay, I've been dying to do that to you, Shelley.

Seriously though - I'm an evening exerciser too. But I don't eat first. I come home from work, take care of the chores and then exercise. Yes, I'm starving. Then I throw something on the stove and jump in the shower while it's cooking. I usually don't eat dinner until 7:30 or 8 p.m. At that late hour, it's practically time for bed for me, so I manage to avoid the snack. On the nights that I actually do get around earlier, I always need a snack, too, though. It usually ends up being peanut butter toast, unfortunately.

LOL Shannon! I was waiting for someone to suggest that. Believe me, lots of times that's what I wanna reach for:p

On the weeks that my daughter is with me, I eat first and then work out later. On weeks when she's with her dad, I work out first and then eat later, but sometimes it still ends up being something like cereal.

And according to these ladies, ain't nuthin' wrong with pb toast;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.