Be More, Not Less

I wish I could somehow cram that entire article onto a plaque for my wall. I was at the craft store the other day and say a wall hanging with the phrase "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels." I wanted to set that sucker on fire--or at least throw it onto the floor and stomp on it. Good thing I'm not a violent person (plus then I'd also have to buy the thing after I broke it). ;)

"Don't think about shrinking. Focus on growing." THIS is how I want my daughter to live her life. (And myself too!)

Lisa

Thanks so much to this thread OP---MomInVt

For me the starting point is number 3).:):):)

That is the reason I love weight!;)

For me to be able to not listen to what people think or say about my look, I first had to build my self confidence.
By learning what the body could do. With the knowledge, I gained the knowledge about myself, built a healthy
realationship with my body not focusing on flaws, imperfections!

Last edited:
Great incite as well as a different perspective on how to view health, fitness and nutrition.

I am imperfect in every way, and I chose to focus my energy on the beauty of my kindness, graciousness, my ability to give a helping hand to anyone who needs it, my volunteer work with children, and my love for life. Fitness is the tool that helps me bring out these qualities in me.

Focus on growing mentally, emotionally and physically.

Cathe's workouts are my pathway to a better & healthier me! And every time I workout, I thank her for that little ray of sunshine.

Great incite as well as a different perspective on how to view health, fitness and nutrition.

I am imperfect in every way, and I chose to focus my energy on the beauty of my kindness, graciousness, my ability to give a helping hand to anyone who needs it, my volunteer work with children, and my love for life. Fitness is the tool that helps me bring out these qualities in me.

Focus on growing mentally, emotionally and physically.

Cathe's workouts are my pathway to a better & healthier me! And every time I workout, I thank her for that little ray of sunshine.

Fireflight, this was beautifully stated. It definitely reflects how I feel.

Cheers for fitness and Cathe-induced endorphins! :)

Lisa

I'm so glad others find this message as powerful as I do. Thanks for saying so.
Fitness has the potential to be so positive or so destructive, depending on framing, motivation, messages, images, etc.

Lisa, I couldn't agree more that having a daughter has made me carefully consider my attitudes towards exercise, food, body image, etc. She watches me all the time and is just a sponge for information -- what messages/habits am I giving her if I'm scrutinizing my body in the mirror and being weird and obsessive around food? That's certainly not to say that I've attained enlightenment with respect to these issues, but I feel way more accountable for my moment-to-moment habits and attitudes.

FireLight, well said that fitness can be an integral part of a greater personal growth. It's so wonderful that you can see your talents and generosities and articulate them. Bravo for cultivating these traits and performing these services, and then being able to value them in yourself and yourself for them! May I be struck down for this overgeneralization, but I sometimes feel I see women adopt permanent postures of generosity and sort of slowly disappear into a silent martyrdom... we women do so much, and it's so great to stop and say, hey! That's a great thing I do! I do that really well!

So thanks, all, for these reminders. You're all amazing.
Roz

Don't want to step out of line here "cause" I'm a guy, but this REALLY needed to be said and WAS so eloquently!!! I'm not sure of the origins of the ABSURD body image issues that ruin the lives of especially women, but men as well are, but a body capable of WORK is truly beautiful

Thanks so much for that article. I have to say that my husband reminds me everyday that what ever I do and however I look to others doesn't matter. As long as he loves my and I try to love myself, that is all that matters. I grew up with a mother that reminded me everyday how "chubby" I was or when I started track and swimming that I was getting "thunder thighs". So I have a very dysfunctional body image of myself even at 40yrs old. It's amazing that what happens as a young girl stays with you as an adult. Thank you to all of you mothers out there that are encouraging there daughters (& sons) to be who they are without nasty criticism.

Kim

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.