Be Careful What You Wish For!

ashaw

Cathlete
I've been working out with Cathe for about 6 years now. Before Cathe, I did Jari Love Get Ripped workouts and my elliptical. Typical me, I wasn't happy with the way I looked, I wanted to look more muscular and I started heavy weights and continued to lift heavy until last year. I've done 4 full rotations of STS, several rotations of XTrain, and one rotation of Ripped With Hiit. Now, fast forward 6 years and I'm not happy with the way I look because I feel I look too bulky and my arms are out of proportion. I have the classic well defined "horseshoe" shape triceps, but not a lot of bicep and it makes my arms look totally out of balance especially in pictures. I feel the back of my arms look way too big and out of proportion to the rest of my arm and body. I've done the full 20 week Turbo Fire program and lost a few pounds and really haven't picked up weights in a long time but that doesn't seem to have done much of anything. I like Turbo Fire because its very cardio intensive and there are two toning workouts that use resistance tubing. I would like to know if anybody out there has had a similar problem - with gains and definition in the triceps, but little to no visible gains in the biceps. Is there a way to reduce the size of the triceps and I don't mean any fat reduction because I don't have that particular problem. Granted I was able to lift heavier weights for my triceps which may have led to the problem. I'm at the point now where I don't even want to pick up weights anymore.

I had this happen in my shoulder area. I just stop doing weight shoulder work for several week. . The muscle will shrink. The thing with triceps its not getting just the isolated work but also used when doing chest work. I would stop all tricep isolation work and add an extra bicep day each week. It shouldn't take you long to balance out.

I forgot I also had the issue with having a calf larger than the other. I was able to balance them out by doing extra calf work each week.

I do not feel relating to the issue but I agree with what cafelattee has quoted above. Shrinking = ---->Getting off the load
for triceps should resolve the issue.:)

I had this problem last summer...I was getting hulkier in my upper body and it was grossing me out. I started watching my diet with MFP and whoooaaaaa. I started dropping weight and what I thought were huge muscles, were muscles with a layer of fat! EWWWWWWW
I was able to reduce my bodyfat and now my muscles look cool! :)

I am not saying that this is definitively your problem, but watching my calories definitely helped me de-hulk! :) Good luck!

Last edited:
I'll have to check out that app, but right now I'm 5 ft 7 in tall and weigh 129 pounds. I'm a size 2-4-6 in most clothing. I don't know what weight loss can do for this problem or how much weight I actually have to lose. But I haven't done any serious weight lifting for the triceps (or any other body part) since last year. I did Turbo Fire starting in August 2015, finished in January 2016, did a month of Brazil Butt lift (which is very light weights on the upper body) and then went back to Turbo Fire for a month before I start PiYo in April 2016. Its been well over 6 months (generous estimate) since I've lifted any significant amount of weight for any body part, including the triceps. The most I used in BBL for Triceps was 5 pounds in the Sculpt and Rio Extreme workouts. Well, at least I know that muscle atrophy takes a long time because its been over a year and these horseshoe shaped triceps haven't budged. :(

I'll have to check out that app, but right now I'm 5 ft 7 in tall and weigh 129 pounds. I'm a size 2-4-6 in most clothing. I don't know what weight loss can do for this problem or how much weight I actually have to lose. But I haven't done any serious weight lifting for the triceps (or any other body part) since last year. I did Turbo Fire starting in August 2015, finished in January 2016, did a month of Brazil Butt lift (which is very light weights on the upper body) and then went back to Turbo Fire for a month before I start PiYo in April 2016. Its been well over 6 months (generous estimate) since I've lifted any significant amount of weight for any body part, including the triceps. The most I used in BBL for Triceps was 5 pounds in the Sculpt and Rio Extreme workouts. Well, at least I know that muscle atrophy takes a long time because its been over a year and these horseshoe shaped triceps haven't budged. :(
I know you will find what works for you! Good luck!

I was on MFP but I got confused with people saying u have to eat your exercise calories back! I did and didn't lose anything and thought well I guess I need to get off there. I lost 8 pounds after but now I have gained them back and thinking of trying the app for MFP. I want to get on and try but really do not want to communicate with anyone! Lol they will tell me how much to eat and clearly I need less then what they tried to say. I wanted to stay in a deficit but was told had to eat calories back on a daily bases so it was irritating! Lol
With that being said I want to try it, how tall are u and what was the calorie intake it allowed u ? Or did you do it manually?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was on MFP but I got confused with people saying u have to eat your exercise calories back! I did and didn't lose anything and thought well I guess I need to get off there. I lost 8 pounds after but now I have gained them back and thinking of trying the app for MFP. I want to get on and try but really do not want to communicate with anyone! Lol they will tell me how much to eat and clearly I need less then what they tried to say. I wanted to stay in a deficit but was told had to eat calories back on a daily bases so it was irritating! Lol
With that being said I want to try it, how tall are u and what was the calorie intake it allowed u ? Or did you do it manually?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Renee! I found this guy's advice the best: http://fit101.org/the-step-by-step-guide-to-losing-weight-with-myfitnesspal/
I, like you, was very overwhelmed with MFP and this guide helped answer all of my questions.
I am 5'6" and I use 1200 as my daily caloric goal and with food and exercise, I generically end up with 200+ calories left over every day. You really have to experiment with it. Some days I do eat back some of the calories I earn, but most days I do not. For me, staying under 2000 a day is ideal for weight loss.
I believe that eventually you reach a weight which is your best weight. I honestly do not know if I will ever weigh under 130. I believe the weight I lost so quickly was excess for my frame.
I should say that I walk on a treadmill desk for nine hours a day during the work week and I workout with Cathe six nights a week. I really do earn every calorie. :)
Hope this helps!

Hi Renee! I found this guy's advice the best: http://fit101.org/the-step-by-step-guide-to-losing-weight-with-myfitnesspal/
I, like you, was very overwhelmed with MFP and this guide helped answer all of my questions.
I am 5'6" and I use 1200 as my daily caloric goal and with food and exercise, I generically end up with 200+ calories left over every day. You really have to experiment with it. Some days I do eat back some of the calories I earn, but most days I do not. For me, staying under 2000 a day is ideal for weight loss.
I believe that eventually you reach a weight which is your best weight. I honestly do not know if I will ever weigh under 130. I believe the weight I lost so quickly was excess for my frame.
I should say that I walk on a treadmill desk for nine hours a day during the work week and I workout with Cathe six nights a week. I really do earn every calorie. :)
Hope this helps!

@marnold

Did you use MFP as a phone aps or did you use the computer version as well?:)

Hi! I use the phone app only because it is more convenient for me. As most of us, I have my phone close by all the time. ☺️

Hi! I use the phone app only because it is more convenient for me. As most of us, I have my phone close by all the time. ☺️

Hello ;), Yes you are right! We always have our phone with us. I just hope tracking though MFP does not too long getting used to.
I have used another tool in the past. Now considering trying MFP.
Thanks for replying:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.