BC x2 worked me!

Sarah,

Thanks for all the details. I just may pull out that ole Boot Camp. One time cooks me soooo that will be a good workout for me. Thanks for getting me motivated to go back to that one!

~Chrissy~

Way to go Sarah, congrats and it sounds like you had a good time and awesome on the weights. I bet you do have a wonderful feeling right now. I hope your not too sore tomorrow.

Though if you don’t mind, please be sure not to over peak yourself if you do it again for another week or more, as BC twice does cost 800 to 1800 calories, depending on your body, which if done on a regular basis, can deplete your body of too many calories, too fast.

For athletic training we do what's called peak trials we generally do them on athletics 4 times a year. What you do, is push to your max and try to burn 1000 calories or more in one workout. This is done to break plateaus as not only will it break strength, endurance, and weight plateaus. It can also break VO2 plateaus, which will actually get your body to burn more calories in general. Which are all very good things, unless done too much, with doing it on a weekly basis, can you can burnout. And cause your metabolism to do funny things, even doing it two weeks straight if it does burn 1000 calories, for that day. If you got a 2000 calorie diet, you only had 1000 calories that day, for your body to use. Which forces your body to plays catch up for a few days afterwards. Yes there is some fat kicked in there, but for most, the fat your burned doesn’t even boost the calories left to your basic calorie need for the day. Done often and your body can’t compensate for that big of a gap. As it’s always playing catch up and it can even toss you into a light version of starvation mode.

Unless you decide to boost your calories up 250 the day before and the day after, and 700 calories that day of the 1000-calorie workout, you may need more/less depending on how many calories you really burned today. As that is what we do, with our speed driller and certain types of competition which for one day, they need that huge calorie allowance, then they go back to a less intense training. We do this a lot with our sprinters, who workouts that are 500 calories or less on there standard training days, and then on race day or track day, we boost the calories the day before, the day off and the day after. And this allows them to do this week in, and week out, without having the signs of over training or messing up their metabolism.

Not trying to discourage, but wanted to give you a heads up, as I’ve seen so may get to liking this but not raising their calories enough, and it sends them into a tail spin, or the get a really horrible cold, as their immune system is super weak.

HTH,

Kit

When you want a good short upper body workout try doing bc upper two times with no rest -the hammer curls on the second go round make me want to cry.

WTG, you're going heavier than Cathe does!!! I pretty much stay with her...don't know about doing it 2X:) We'll see....

Way to go Sarah.... I don't think I'll try BC twice in one day. I done the two GS upper bodies back to back and pushmowed for 2 1/2 hours straight, why does BC twice in a row scare me so much??:9

Actually, according to my heart rate monitor, I burned off 465 calories and my average heart rate was 128 bpm and I was in my training zone for a total of 22 minutes and 17 seconds. Several times through out the workout I noticed my heart rate was below 100 bpm. While the workout was long (1 hour 52 minutes which includes pausing to serve my kids breakfast), my body was not one bit suprised..for it is very use to working 1 1/2 to 2 hours at a time. I immediately fueled with protein, high thermic carbs and my favorite fat...nuts! Thanks anyway, Kit, for the information.

Wow Sarah,

That is awesome! I'm amazed with that kind of lifting you didn't burn more, especially with 50 lb squats, leg muscles usually love to burn calories like crazy. Your metabolism must be made of steel. As the length of time wasn’t a real worry, There are days I workout for 4 hours more, though usually by the 4th hour I’ve burned about 1200 calories working out for that day. Not my intention, but just works out that way. It was the weight lifting and cardio combo that usually will make the metabolism really sky rocket. Circuits is generally what I use to do peak trials as I can usually push the person hard enough that they hit 1000 calories in an hour and a half. I know quite a few of athletics that you probably out preformed with that calorie reading, if I had you doing circuits right a long with them. I’d really would have to up the intensity and weights, to force your body to burn 1000 calories in that amount of time. You should really be proud of your acomplishments, and how fit you've become.

Kit

Thank you, Kit but your post has me VERY curious...if you do not mind me asking a ton of questions...

Is it even humanly possible for a person to burn 800-1800 calories in a two hour span? Wouldn't that person have to be in pretty poor shape to begin with AND pushing hard for a few hours? Or maybe just a much larger male? I ask because you mentioned that the Bootcamp twice could burn 800-1800 calories and I just don't see how....or who LOL!! If I run 10.5 miles my monitor says I burn 700 calories and my average heart beat IS much higher but so it makes me wonder how anyone can burn so many calories in such a short amount of time!

I am sure if I was doing your peak trials and circuits I would NOT be out performing ANY of your athletes!LOL!! I'm sure you'd run me into the ground!

I do Cathe several times a week...is it possible that there is a greater amount of "body adaption" to the style of workout therefore resulting in a lesser calorie burn? My legs are accustomed to doing 50 pound squats with Cathe so the work load isn't as intense as it would be with some one who CAN do the same, but just hasn't...right? Am I making sense??? It's early in the a.m....:* Don't get me wrong, it's a challenge...but wouldn't it beone my body EXPECTS??

Thanks in advance!!

Thanks again Sarah for listing your weights! You are awesome! I'm not sure I would have even challenged myself to go as high as I did this time without your post.:) I guess I'm finding out if I challenge myself I'm a lot stronger then I thought!

Oh, by the way, my heart rate monitor said I burned 615 calories (315 calories for the 1st time and 300 calories for the 2nd time) for both Bootcamps back to back....so I didn't get near the 800 to 1800 calorie mark either. Um...I'm not planning on doing it a 3rd time to get there either...LOL. ;-)

Robin:)

How many calories you burn can depend a lot on weight too. I'm 6'1" and weight 160 lbs. When I run 10 miles (1:45:00) I burn a little over 1000 calories.

Andrea

Yep ....that is me. Thank you so much for the compliment! :) No, I don't compete...although, I do have a friend trying to talk me into it. Competition would take time and dedication.....plus I'm almost 46 years old so I'm not so sure it would be wise to try to compete with 35 year olds;-) . Right now, I just try to keep setting new goals for myself. Ah, maybe someday... :)

Robin

IMA: I have a HRM and when I do circuits at the gym, usually about 1.5 hours, I burn a little over 700 calories. I am 5'4 and I weigh about 170. I am in relatively decent shape, but nowhere near the shape of the people on this board. I lift pretty heavy (I leg press about 260) and I bench about 100. Oh, and in case it isn't clear, I am a woman.

Sarah,

Actually nope, I can burn 1000 calories easily in a one hour span, depending on the routine, and I'm in pretty decent shape. And my calorie intake normally is only about 1500 calories. It's all in what you do and how you do it, as well as how many muscles fibers you got. We've been testing our new fat burning device, and the intensity of BC if you do it to where at the end of each of the sets your muscles are very tired, out of 25 of us, fitness trainers or pro athletes we average somewhere between 400 to 800 calories burned in BC, and it was very close to what the heart monitoring devices got. Some of the guys were at the higher end of the scale but a few of our really strong females were there as well. That's why I was a bit amazed when you came back with under 500 calories burned doing two BCs. As generally I hit 450 and if I did it again, if I use the endurance equation off the machine I’d be pushing about 900 to 1000 calories by the end.

Our peak trails I do try to keep everyone under 1400 calories burned but sometimes it’s not possible with a few people. If you take bike racers for example like Lance Armstrong, they burn 2000 calories or more just in one segment of Tour de France. It’s a constant battle to keep them from going into starvation mode, during the race. Same goes for the long distance runners, cross country skiers, etc. There are a ton of racers that burn so many calories racing that they have a 6000 calorie diet or a little better, during the race and 3,000 calorie diet on their rest day.

And yes if your body was use to it, and it wasn’t where you were completely fatiguing the muscles it wouldn’t be burning as many calories as if you used a weight that completely fatigued the muscle by the end of the given exercise. Also if your body is use to a certain amount of weight it’s a bit easier your heart rate won’t spike as much as if you weren’t completely use to it. As generally I always watch the heart rate monitor when I have people using weights, if I’m not seeing spikes but rolling hills, they get a heavier weight, or they are slacking, and not really getting the weight up there. That happens as well, as day in and day out, it gets boring, no matter how much you change the routine, when lifting weights isn’t something you love and you much rather be running, sometimes your just not into it. So yes being use to it, to the point your heart rate wasn’t really spiking when squatting, would really make the calories burned less.

HTH,

Kit

oops: I should have mentoned above I'm 4' 10 and weigh about 90 - 93 pounds.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.