BC/ME Question

I'm pretty sure I heard Cathe say, in one of her work outs, that you can substitute a db in place of the med ball. That's what I did until I got a med ball.

Dallas

I know with ME, a dumbell can be substituted on most of the ab work. For the chest presses, I use a basketball - anything that will compress a little. Or, as Cathe demonstrates - simply press your hands together. It all works. I haven't done BC (I have ME on VHS) so I couldn't tell you on that one.

BC might be tough w/ a 8lb weight. I'm thinking of the side bridge (push up on your side) She has you hold the med ball on the side of your ribs. That's the only spot I think it would be tough.

~Chrissy~

It's doable. You rest the weight more on your hip. The girl in the back right is using a dumbell and demonstrates. When they hold the medicine ball between their knees for reverse crunches, I do use a dumbbell, it's not the most stable - I'm willing to risk the chance of the thing falling, you may not be. LOL

I usually use a DB for some of the work and medicine ball for others (like the reverse crunches). For some reason, I prefer the db. Also, I sometimes like to go a bit heavier than my 8 lb ball so I'll substitute. The ME ab work is killer but one of my favorites.

I also don't have a medicine ball and so I started out subbing a dumbbell for ME/BC but found it too uncomfortable for a few exercises (such as reverse crunches--bruises on the inside of my knees:( ) so I wrapped both my ankle weights around a 3 pound dumbbell, which made it a little heavier than 8 (more like 9) but I found this much more stable and comfortable, plus it had a little "give". I recently purchased a backup weight set and it has vinyl 8 pound plates which I have found the most comfortable for all exercises requiring a 8 pound med ball. I can hold it securely for reverse crunches, it lays well on my side for the side dips in BC, and nicely on the shoulder for some of the oblique work in Coremax as well.
Mattea

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.