barefoot cardio - ellen barrett - loving it!

workingToBeFit

Cathlete
Ok so first I own every DVD workout Cathe has put out - and am a Cathe fanatic. That said, I found myself recently with a very painful foot problem - almost could not walk on it - much less workout as usual. My doctor did blood, xrays, and could not find anything wrong in the tests. I spent a week on Rx pain killers and resting. Then I rode exercise bikes - got bored shortly! Then to make a long story short I was looking for a cardio workout I could do which would also strengthen my feet. I happened onto Barrett's "Barefoot Cardio" DVD and I am SO glad I did. It is fantastic. Low impact, of course, and works the whole body. I was skeptical, but it does actually get my heart rate up. Not into KPC range, but into moderate cardio range. It is gentle on all joints and manages to work/stretch not just feet but my problematic shoulders, knees and back as well! Also there is just this feeling of joy and stress-reduction throughout. I feel really healthy and totally flexible after doing it. It's a keeper and I know I will keep doing it long after this foot problem resolves. If anyone ends up seeing it, check out the look on crew member Michelle's face towards the end - I have been doing video workouts since 1985 and I don't think I have EVER seen such a look of pure joy and delight in movement, on one of the crew's faces. And eventually, after my foot is really recovered, I will get back to my KPC and my new shock cardio DVDs.

Nice idea! I switched my footwear to Vibram Five Finger shoes for everything but step! It's just like working out barefoot, but keeps your feet protected from stuff on the ground/floor (especially when running outdoors or in a gym setting). They feel fantastic! Haven't been able to get used to them doing step yet. Figured I'd get really comfortable with them in every other aspect, then try again to slowly work them in for step!

She has a workout on fit tv that I worked out to one day. It didn't *look* like much of a workout but its deceptive so I ended up buying a couple of her workouts from Collage and I really like them.
I'll have to check out BFC.

Tricia, it is funny that you mention the Vibram Five Finger shoes - I was actually thinking of getting some and trying to work out in them. My husband wears them everywhere - golfing, working (we both teach at a university so can get away with shoes like that at work!). You post makes me think I should seriously try them out. My favorite workouts at Cathe's various kickboxing workouts, and they would probably work fine for that. When you got them, did you get your regular shoe size?

I logged on to see if anyone had any input into working out barefoot because I just read an article in the Parade section of the Sunday newspaper about running barefoot. It's by Christopher McDougall who is the author of the book "Born to Run". Has anyone read this article? It kind of makes sense, but I would worry about stepping on something and hurting my foot. I'm not a runner, but I wonder what it would be like to do a kickbox workout barefooted? Not sure about a step workout though. Just curious.

Ann - They are sized in European 36, 36.5, etc. The European size was equivalent to regular shoe sizes. You can probably look up the equivalents online. Your local running store probably has them so you can try them on first! They are so comfortable and I love them for my kickboxing workouts and running! I wear them for weightlifting too! Took a little longer to get used to them running. Had to work into them slowly because you start running more correctly and soreness in the calves and bottoms of the feet will happen initially and possibly blisters. My DH got a few blisters, but I didn't. My calves, though, WOW! Talk about sore!

You will love them!

Thanks very much for posting your review, Ann. I took a look at the workout on Collage, and the reviews were all very enthusiastic. I never would have guessed from looking at the clip that this WO could get your heart rate up there, but the reviews state that it does. Funny, but one of the reasons I dislike doing cardio at home is that I get too hot wearing shoes and socks. I think I'm going to try it. Thanks again for your post!

Ann I love Ellen Barrett. I have been doing Cathe workouts for so many years usually following her posted monthly rotations. Recently I just wanted a break after completing STS and then CLX so I tried some of Ellen's and love them. If you like Barefoot Cardio you should also try Fat Burning Fusion. It is another great one. I pretty much like all her Studio workouts in comparison to her Crunch ones tho I do like Burn and Firm Pilates for the live drums. It is short and I will tag it onto other workouts.

Phyllis, I actually liked barefoot cardio so much I ordered all of her Studio workouts. I just did slim sculpt and I really liked it. Looking forward to the others soon this week. I am really liking the barefoot concept - it makes me feel like I am working my feet and lower legs more, and improving my balance overall. Re the five finger shoes Tricia likes I am going to get some - they sell them locally at one store - and when my foot is really better, I will try those with the Cathe kickboxing workouts. Variety is good :)

Speaking of feet, I assume the WO is appropriate for those of us with two left feet? In other words, the steps are simple, right?

Yes, it's really simple. I am totally choreography challenged myself and still can't do any of the complex step workouts without marching in place and going "huh???" :) And with my left foot currently injured, I sure don't want anything complicated to make matters worse.

Nancy,
I have to agree with Ann. I am totally uncoordinated when it comes to step and choreography but Ellen's workouts are very easy to follow.
Lisa

Working out barefoot

Fitaerofan, I workout at home and do all of my workouts barefoot. I have read some articles on the benefit of working out barefoot so I decided to give it a try and I love it. I feel like it challenges my coordination and I also feel it is better on my body - my form.

I do all my Cathe workouts (as well as P90X) this way (including all the shock cardio, KPC, Butts and Guts, Boot Camp, low impact circuit, etc.).

I hope this helps. Have fun with it.

Enabled! I just ordered at Collage....and 2 other workouts too! :D Oops!:p

I also do my workouts barefoot. Sneakers feel so heavy and YUCK.

I bought Vibram 5 fingers last month and love them!!!

I simply go barefoot when doing Cathe's weight workouts, but with cardio, I wear the five fingers. I also wear them when running on the treadmill and outdoors.

The only workouts I use normal shoes for are the Hiit workouts and anything mostly high impact. Low impact step, I go barefoot.

My back pain has gone away. I know when my form is bad because my foot will hurt. Correct form, automatically corrects foot pain.

Becky

PS. I also wear them at the hospital when I am on call and in scrubs (not in professional attire...at least not until I get some all black ones)

How does this workout compare to Classical Stretch? I've never been able to find a copy of that one and I'm looking for a substitute.........

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.