Barbell weight question

lovebeingmom

Cathlete
I have a question for weights on barbell

Do you count the weight of the barbell itself?? I know Olympic ones are pretty heavy. Not sure how much mine weighs.

But wondering if my program saids 50lbs do I just put 25 on each side and not count the bar itself

Also once I get into heavier weight and want to use a weight vest and say my weight is 70 lbs and I have a 20 lbs weight vest can I just wear that and then put 25 on each side of the barbell??

Also does anyone lift really heavy?? Do you ask your husbands to stay around and help out? I'm now benching 40 lbs which I'm happy about but would love to really increase that in the next few months. Should I recruit my husband to spot or should I only lift what I can do on my own?

Jaime

Count the bar. My bar weights 12 lbs, so if the weight is 40 lbs, I'd put 14 on each side.
When I use a vest, say the vest is 10 lbs, and I'm holding 50 lbs on the barbell (including the bar) that's a total of 60 lbs.
I lift alone, usually at 5:30 in the morning. Nobody else is awake at that time but my screams might wake them up if I really got into trouble with a barbell :eek:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.