Barbell French Press

mercee28

I have been lifting for a few years at the gym and with cathe tapes, but for some reason I can't execute these properly. I have no problems with dumbells and wonder if I should just always substitute those for the barbell at all times.

I have to drop down to 20lbs on the barbell when doing these and I still feel like the barbell is going to come crashing down on my forehead. Can someone please give me some tips. thanks so much!

I am always amazed that Cathe can use the same weights for various body parts. I have to drop for triceps. I can go a little heavier for biceps, heavier for chest, add a little more for back and add again for legs but I do not use the same weights for all my parts!

B http://www.plaudersmilies.de/natur/twinkle.gif obbi

I'd like to know too!

I find that it is difficult for me to keep my wrist stable during the exercise - I feel the strain with 20lbs. I don't know how Cathe does it with her weightload!

Hi Mercee28! It is absolutely appropriate to substitute dumbbells here. You should always use what you can handle with proper form. Although the barbell offers a bit of variety to the exercise, it is of no benefit if you are not able to do it properly. So yes, stick with dumbbells (I actually get a better workout with dumbbells;-)).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.