Bar workouts?

trixie108

Cathlete
I have the old Bar Method dvds, and just bought the new ones, and yikes!! Holy sweat! But here's my question: Burr says you can do the workouts on consecutive days, since you don't use heavy weights. Here's what she says on her website:

"You're right about the importance of giving muscles enough time to recover. Because the Bar Method is non-impact and quite gentle (in spite of the terrific muscle burn you get) -- as well as just an hour long -- it can be done up to five days a week and still allow enough time for muscles to recover.
We recommend that students do the Bar Method three-to-five times a week. Within that frequency, individuals vary with regard to what works best for them. The best way to tell how many times a week is right for you is to listen to your body. If you feel yourself getting stronger and feeling better, your frequency is okay. If you start feeling fatigued, you're probably going too often. The right frequency also depends on what else you're doing in your life. If you're working 10 hours a day and not getting a lot of sleep, you might not be able to tolerate more than about three days a week.
Going more than five days a week is not productive because it doesn't make you much stronger and can actually slow down your progress by not leaving enough time for your muscles to recover. By the way, the Bar Method is different from weight routines at health clubs. You don't have to skip a day between workouts because we don't use heavy weights."

I'm just confused about this, since all of the workouts involve pushups. I would think those shouldn't be done two days in a row, since they are weight bearing exercises? I'm feeling it in my triceps and quads today, but I'd love to do another bar workout tonight!!

Nicole,

I wouldn't do the same workout two days in a row anyway. I think thats asking for an over use injury which can sneak up on you and cause tremendous pain and damage that takes a long time to heal. I wouldn't do it more than 2-3 days/week. Just my opinion of course, but I took dance for years as a teenager (age 11-20) and you most definitely can and will get doms from a barre workout. What kind of rotation do you like? I tend to have one cardio workout and one other kind of workout like weights, yoga or a dance tape. Are you strapped for time? If you do you two workouts then maybe barre 3 times a week with a yoga workout two times per week. Having different movements really helps the body to stay balanced.

Thanks for the reply. Yea I was thinking that 5 days a week seemed like overkill, lol. I'll probably just throw a cardio or stretching session in between barre days.

Yeah, I never understood the P57 rotation that suggested doing the workouts everyday 5-6 days per week. Thats a bit much not only physically but mentally. For those doing bar type of workouts, how often do you do them throughout the week? I usually try for 2 as I like to get in a lot more cardio.

oh, and as a physical therapist we never recommend doing therapy/light weight work everyday. You can overuse tendons, ligaments and joints with light weights. I don't like how some fitness instructors view light weights as injury free. So not true. Every-other-day is best.

Nicole,

I have been doing Bar Method classes at the studio since mid April. I have been going 5-6 days a week and absolutely love it! I started seeing results within 2 weeks. Bar Method has given me the best shape of my life.

Kathy

Hi Nicole,
I started doing bar work this summer. I do Tonique once a week and also the core fusion series. Not exclusively, but it seems many people who do these wo daily are getting the results. Perhaps it's not a bad thing working my muscles like this daily. You said BM has given you the best shape of your life...do you mean better posture, lean and better toned like a dancer? I'm curious. Results in 2 weeks is great!

fitatfifty: I look leaner and more toned from doing the Bar Method. My body type responds well to the light weights (2-3 lbs) and high repetitions. I've always been thin, but now that I am in my 50s, was not quite as toned as I used to be. This has helped immensely. My flexibility has really improved and my body has leaned out, and I think I look just as good now if not better than when I was in my 30s/40s. Within 2 weeks I had already noticed a difference in my arms and the way my clothes fit. We do 40-50 pushups each day during the class. 20-25 early on in the class and another 25-25 toward the end of the class. I no longer have any jiggle under my arms! There is a lot of leg work which includes stretching, and my legs have really nice definition now. Another plus is my butt has really lifted. And its not just me seeing great results, I notice huge differences in lots of the ladies that go 4+ times a week. In another week it will be 4 months that I have been doing it, and I am REALLY happy with the results I've seen so far. It's really hard, but addicting! And the hour class flies by.

Kathy

I wish they had these classes in Ft. Lauderdale FLA I get so bored with the videos as their isn't a ton of good ones out there.

Hi Kathy,
Sorry about the name mix up. You certainly seem to have found something that really delivers results and that's what I want being 53 now. I love all of Cathe's wo's but just this summer really got into some bar work and they are tough! I think you have convinced me to put them into my weekly wo more so. at present I have "Perishing Square 2" and "Tonique Mat" and "Core Fusion ( Thighs & Glutes & Pilates Sculpting ) I also have the original Bar Methos but lent them to a friend. Your results are very encouraging. Thanks!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.