Banks Want To Know How Much They Can Get Away With!

Lastchance09

Cathlete
I had to share this article. It's just ridiculous. Call and complain. Call and complain. Call and complain. No matter what the fee is, call and complain.

From the Article:
http://wcbstv.com/consumer/credit.card.fees.2.1272124.html

Loraine Mullen-Kress carries a Bank of America credit card and religiously pays off her balance.

"Flawless credit," she boasted.

Yet now, her good credit habits could cost her. Earlier this month Bank of America started notifying customers like Mullen-Kress that they will be charged a new annual fee of $29 to $99.

"There is a big segment of their population that they will have never made money on, which is people who pay their bills on time every month," said Ben Woolsey, Director of Consumer Research at CreditCards.com.

Bank of America said in a statement: "At this point we're testing the fee on a very small number of accounts and haven't made any final decisions." Citigroup is also trying out an annual fee with some card holders, and analysts expect more banks to follow their lead.

The banks are starting to charge fees to reliable customers in response to a slew of new credit card industry regulations that will limit when banks can hike interest rates. Cardholders who get a new annual fee notice in the mail will be in a no-win situation.

"They can either pay that fee or they can close the account, and if they have had the account for a while and they close it, they are potentially going to hurt their credit card score," said Woolsey.

Analysts say right now the banks are trying to figure out what their customers will tolerate. Many say they'd cancel cards with a high new annual fee.

"I think it is really bad. They're encouraging you to be a bed creditor or not have good credit," one New Yorker told CBS 2 HD.

Said Mullen-Kress: "An annual fee would not be tolerated."

Credit card companies call the fees an experiment. Whether they stick depends on whether customers are willing to pay for something that's been free for so long.

If your credit card company does start charging you to carry its card, call and complain. If you have a good credit score and you've been a loyal customer, they may be willing to waive the fee to keep your business.

You may also see annual fees go up on cards that offer rewards like miles and hotel rooms. That's when y ou'll have to weigh whether the rewards are truly worth the higher fee.

Thanks for the info. It is ridiculous they want to "punish"you because you dont pay interest. I'm one of them and I dont want to pay fees.

I used to be a retailer and they make plenty off the merchant for things that are charged. I don't think they need to double dip!

I cancelled a card with a major bank when they started charging an annual fee (and for what service? I love it when they call it a "membership" Member of what exactly?) I called to cancel the card and told them why. I pay off my card every month and I'm not going to pay an annual fee! This was a couple of years ago and they made no effort to keep my business.

I agree, they charge merchant fees and get plenty of interest from those who can't or don't pay off their charges each month. They don't need to nickel and dime us!

This is absolutely insane!!!!! How can they get away with this?! And I love the justification is that this is a trial to "see what customers will put up with." Wow, way to admit you're a bunch of greedy money grubbing you-know-who's!

I use my credit cards to pay for everything, but I never carry a balance. They keep increasing my credit limit to a ridiculous amount, but I still pay in full every month. If they start charging me for this, I'm done!

Thanks for that. Big Brother is watching us, I don't think there is any such thing as privacy in this technological age :(.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.