BAKING COOKIES

annie2867

Cathlete
Who's the expert. My cookies get too done on the bottom. I have tried lowering the heat, moving them to the lower part of the oven, everything! I have tried an insulated cookie sheet and a darker thinner one. If they are perfect on the bottom they are not done on the top. Any ideas?

I move mine from the mid-lower rack to the mid-upper rack half way through the baking time. Still doesn't always work though. I turn the cookie sheet around, too, so the cookies that were in the back are now in the front.

Are you making enough for Shelley?

LOL - Robin! I'm trying to be GOOD!!!

I also rotate and switch racks. The little devils can burn so easily. You turn your back for a second, and boom - blackened Cajun cookies.

Annabel,

I saw Alton Brown on his Good Eats show talking about this; he said that if the cookie is turning brown beyond the edges it is already on its way to being overdone. They keep cooking on the sheet once you take them out, and that's where they finish. this has worked for me, hope it helps!

Sparrow

I've read a few baking books and the general consensus is that some recipes are designed to make crispier cookies, others more chewy cookies. So if you're using a 'crispy" recipe, the most well known is the original Tollhouse your cookies well turn out on the crispier side, but you can reduce that a bit by......using a non-insulated cookie sheet, using parchment paper on your cookie sheet, taking them out of the oven when the edges just look brown and the center still looks a little wet, and then leaving them on the cookie sheet a few minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack...if you move them too soon they'll fall apart since they arent quite "done" yet. Once cooled, you can keep cookies soft by storing them with a slice of bread...the bread gets hard, the cookies stay soft. You also may want to invest in an oven thermometer if you havent already just to make sure your oven is calibrated right especially if you have an older oven.

Put cookie pan on center rack ...bake about 325 or 300 degrees no matter what the reciepe says...pull out of oven just before they are done ...Like the second the cookies look dry on top .Leave on pan to cool ..Hope this helps ..Baker/pastry chef here of 20 years !!!:) :) :) :) :)

Thanks baker of 20 years. Now would this apply to brownies as well, cos I made a batch of brownies last week and had to go around the edges with a pizza slicer to get all the burnt edges off, they were a little overdone on the bottom but everyone still enjoyed them. It's so frustrating, especially if you are getting into a baking mood season. I just went and bought a silicone baking utensil for brownies, let's hope all the hype you see on TV is true!

I almost always use baking stones in the oven for cookies and they always come out evenly browned top and bottom. I've found this to be the best thing that works for me by far.

Angie

This is so true...I often rely on that "after they leave the oven" baking to help finish cookies.

What has made the difference in the baking in my house was a NEW OVEN!!! (BIL's Christmas present for ME!). A new oven seems to have made all the difference in our cookies and so on coming out so nicely. Now for some cooler weather so we can do some baking:)

Huh, I never thought about once they look dry on top they are done. I always let them cook until they were golden brown. I will use that idea next time I make cookies! The only thing that I do to keep my cookies from getting too brown on the bottom is use a baking stone.

Kathy

I am so glad someone asked this question! I always just thought it was me! Thank you ladies for all your helpful tips! Now I have excuse to make some cookies again! LOL! ;)

Cookies on the Pampered Chef stones come out perfect every time! I highly recommend them and I was a hesitant convert at first but they truly work phenominal!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.