Bagged Spinach and E-Coli Warning!

That's what I'm curious about too. Do the symptoms show up right away? Or will we get sick in say a couple of weeks. YIKES!

That's really a bummer!! I have two bags. They are not expired. Would you just hold onto them until they pinpoint the brand?

My egg white omelette just wasn't the same this AM. ;-)

Dallas

The incubation period for E. coli O157:H7 infection (i.e., the period from ingestion of the bacteria to the start of symptoms) is typically 3 to 9 days, although shorter and longer periods are not that unusual. An incubation period of less than 24 hours would be unusual, however.

http://www.about-ecoli.com/

I always wash my prebagged veggies. I read about the risk of e coli from bagged veggies a few years ago. The article recommended washing all prebagged veggies for a minimum of two minutes under running water. I do that and then use a salad spinner. (Fit44 - Best investment I ever made BTW)

My grocery store also took all spinach - bagged and fresh- off the shelves today. Boy, am I going to miss my spinach. I have it almost every day in my morning omelette. I was in the middle of eating my omelette when I heard the news story on the radio. I finished the omelette. I mean after all, I had already eaten most of the bag - a little more isn't going to make a difference.

I wonder how long before they'll get it back on the market.

Claude

"Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." Satchel Paige

I used some of the Costco spinach to make a spinach soup the other night.

Does anyone know... does cooking the spinach kill the e. coli?

I just got home from Costco and they had pulled all the spinach off the shelves. I think all the grocery stores are doing this. Someone suggested frozen spinach. I wonder if that is safe?

So that's why there wasn't any spinach at Sam's today. And I was stompin' mad that I drove all the way over there (40mi). The boxed baby salad mix (which contains spinach) was also gone. Darn. Just when I was patting myself on the back for eating so many greens the past few weeks. Marnie:(

I avoid all bagged salads. My local high school science class did a test on Dole pre-washed lettuce mix fresh from the bag and the bacteria count they found in it was off the charts. I'd rather buy a head of lettuce, wash and bag it myself than take the chance with one of those prepared salads.

Cooking does kill ecoli. So you should be fine. Just remember that 99% of the spinach is good, but, so much better safe than sorry.

My local news station just updated the report. They suspect the problem originated from a California processing plant. They also said that washing it does not help. It can reduce the amount of bacteria, but the bacteria clings in the small crevices of the leaf.

A few years ago, I watched a pm magazine show that discussed organic vs. conventional farming. Supposedly, organic has more bacteria.

"Critics argue that organic farming leads to the risk of contamination with potentially dangerous bacteria and mould toxins, and increased levels of ‘natural pesticide’ found in organic produce could even be as dangerous as synthetic chemicals."

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.