Bad fall - please help

Jen_strong

Cathlete
Hi everyone,

Two weeks ago I woke up, apparently got out of bed too quickly, went to leave my bedroom, passed out and fell down my stairs (7 wood stairs). I have low blood pressure and get dizzy if I stand up too quickly, and our best guess is that it dropped out and made me pass out.

Anyway, the good news is that I didn't break anything or hit my head. The bad news is I apparently jarred my hips pretty badly, as I fell on my side. I've been getting some treatment for it, but one leg really bothers me, and it will apparently be another 4 weeks or so before it has healed. I'm really bummed about this b/c I've been trying to lose weight and I'm really nervous about gaining if I just sit around for a month. I know I can still do upper body weights, but I was wondering what other ideas you all might have for burning up those extra calories. You guys can be so creative, I would love some help!! I don't want to just sit around here and feel sorry for myself. :-(

Thank you so much,
Jen

I don't have advice for the exercise, but I'm wondering if your eating is causing your blackouts since you mentioned you're trying to lose weight. I was anorexic when I was young and used to black out like that because I wasn't eating enough (around 300 calories a day). Please be careful, if that's true. It's very dangerous, and not just because of falls.

Shari

Hi Shari,

I really appreciate your concern, but no, the problem is not my intake. I NEVER go lower than 1200, usually more like 1400. My BP runs about 100/70 normally, and when the doctor had me stand up from the exam table it dropped to 90/70. I think that combined with dehydration from overnight, and painting a room the day before without a lot of fresh air, could have caused the blackout. I get up VERY slowly now. ;)

Jen

Hi Jen,
I also have a back problem that at times, affects my hips and legs. Sometimes I find it easier to do hi-lo or step than it is to walk but if the pain/problem is really bad, I just try to stay active by doing things like walking around the house trailing after my cat :) and walking around the garden at home. Workout wise, when it's bad, bad, I'll do step without the step (I still have a few workouts where I still need to learn the choreography so I pick out the ones I don't know yet and use my down time to learn the steps) or a Leslie Sansone walking workout. Yoga helps me a lot but it isn't always possible for me to do yoga when I'm in a bad way. I am also trying to lose weight and I understand how bad the setbacks feel. You're very welcome to PM me if you want to discuss it some more.
ATB,
- Lisa :)

Hi Lisa,

Thanks so much for replying. I sympathize with you having a chronic problem - at least I know (or I hope) this won't be a long-term thing, should hopefully heal in a matter of weeks. Until then, though, I know I need to keep up my routine somehow. Unfortunately even walking is a bit much right now. I'm hobbling around with a limp. I was thinking about doing some Pilates, as I have a video, and I could just omit the parts that would hurt my leg. Ugh, this is just so frustrating. x( But I appreciate hearing from others in similar situations.

Jen

Jen - It sounds like you're listening to your body, so you are a smart lady. You could focus on eating "clean" during your recovery period. That will keep you in the mind set of staying on track w/your long term goals. Also, you can try taking extra Vitamin C, some Vitamin E, and gluco/chron/MSM to help healing. Are you icing it? Taking Advil for swelling? Remember, while it's healing, it's important to keep moving it so you don't lose range of motion. Also, gentle exercise will keep blood flowing to the area, aiding in the healing. I think just about all the "vets" on this forum have had injuries of one sort or other, so we've all been there!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get better quickly! Suzanne

Hi Jen,

Thank goodness you weren't seriously injured. I hope that you and your physician have discussed and explored what could have caused the blackout and that you feel confident you have that under control.

With regard to working out, you really need to take it easy!!! You have suffered an injury and need to allow for your body to heal. Pushing too hard could delay your recovery or worse, could cause more harm that could result in a much more severe injury. Have you discussed exercise options with your physician? I agreee about doing gentle exercise to keep the blood flowing and the joint loose. Even if 5 minutes of walking is all you can tolerate, then do just that. I have had two knee surgeries and know that patience is a virtue when letting joints heal. I also understand the frustration when you can exercise and even little things seem like such an ordeal.

As for your concern of weight gain, I agree with the suggestion that this time could be used to clean up your diet, if you choose to do so. I also concur that upper body work is the way to go. Not only will you have awesome arms and a killer back but the lean muscle will help maintain your metabolism. And be kind with yourself if you do experience some gain. You have been injured and need to rest. You have been successful in the past with fitness and such and will be again!!!! That kind of determination can't be beat!!!!

Hope this helps.
Sabine:7

I really appreciate all your replies. I am trying to do what I can to let it heal. I did ice initially after I injured it, and I have been taking vitamins C and E, but not the gluco/chron/MSM. How would that be helpful?

As far as diet, I know weight loss is more due to eating than exercise anyway, so you're right, I could concentrate on that more. And Sabine, I know the way you worded the "awesome arms and killer back" - makes it sound not so bad to do just upper body for a while. }(

I know it's going to take time and I need to be patient, as hard as that is. But I appreciate the reminders to slow down.

Jen

Glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM are vital for healthy joint function. They help maintain the integrity of the joint and the surrounding tissues, help maintain the elasticity of the joint and tissues, as well as help with maintaining proper amounts of sunovial fluid in the joint. I have been taking these supplements for about 3 years, not only for my knees, but for my neck and back (suffered whiplash injuries in a serious car accident 6 years ago). I have found that it has reduced the tension in my joints and keeps me feeling supple. These supplements are available at most health food stores and even some grocery stores.

Get better soon,
Sabine

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.