Back pain - OUCH!!!

materialsgirl

Cathlete
I'm hoping someone here has some exerptise, information, advice, something. I hurt my back this morning. I really don't know how I did it. I've never had this kind of back pain before. I was doing Drill Max cardio, and I was on the cardio cycle where you're holding the stability ball and doing hamstring curls, squat jumps, running and tossing the ball, pendulums, etc. I felt a twinge in my mid back on the left side of my spine, but I thought it would just go away if I kept going. Well, it didn't. As I tried to keep working out, it became sharper and sharper, to the point where it took my breath away. I paused the video and tried to do some back stretches, and tried to massage the area with a tennis ball, but with no success. I gave up and quit my workout. x(

Now I'm sitting here at work, and if I twist to the left or bend forward (or straighten back up), I still have the sharp pain in my mid-back, on the left side of my spine. I am pretty sure the affected muscle is the erector spinae. I guess it's in some kind of a spasm? Has anyone else ever had this? What can I do to fix it? I have a chiropractor appointment this afternoon, and I think that will definitely help. But is there anything I can do in the mean time? I have a tennis ball here at my desk and I've tried rolling it along my back (between my back and the back of the chair) to massage out the kinks - there are some very tender areas. But the pain gets to be a bit intense.

Help me!!!

Emily - If you can get out at lunch, go to Wal-mart or some place like that and pick up one of those packs of disposable heat pads. Don't get the expensive ones, just get the store brand (they're better anyways). If it's possible now, I'd get some ice on it in the meantime. Maybe you could put some wrapped up in a paper towel in a ziplock or something and put it between your chair and your back, then do the heat before you go to the chiropractor. I am the queen at doing weird things to my back. I'd also take some ibuprofen if you have any access to some. Hope the chiropractor is able to help you out!!! :/

Or you could go to a Physical Therapist. They are also experts in dealing with spinal issues. And they also do manipulation if necessary (it's not always the right treatment - regardless of what some in the medical field may lead you to believe). In the meantime, I would do some gentle movements (only moving without pain - don't force anything) and take some anti-inflammatory meds. Try to take deep breaths and remain as calm as possible (trying to engage the sympathetic nervous system). Stress and anxiety are a HUGE contributor to back pain (and pain in general). The hot packs should help - just don't leave them on to long! I remember reading recently about some law suits involving those things. Some people got really burned with them. Just use them with a timer.

HTH!
Carolyn

Ohhh, Emily, I feel for you. In my opinion I would stay away from the heat and stick to the ice. The injury is so fresh and definitely acute,although it may not appear on the surface your body has probably launched an 'inflammation response'. Not good to further congest the area with increased blood flow. Better to shunt the inflammation away with ice and let the body bring fresh blood flow to the affected area. Pain free range of motion only until you see your chiro. If, when you were working out, a muscle was suddenly lengthened to the point of putting tensile force on the tendon the muscle belly reflexively contracts (spasms) to prevent a pull injury. This muscle guarding can go on for a long time. It won't be pushed but, if treated properly, will give. Please let us know how it goes at the chiro. I wouldn't rule out physio either, they know every bit of sinew of our bodies and more than earn their fees.

Take Care
Laurie:)

Emily, I wrenched my back a few weeks ago and it was a good couple of weeks before it felt right. I agree with Carolyn's advice, and do be careful with the heating pad. Don't let it get too hot, and make sure you don't use it for longer than 20 minutes at a time -- you can use it for 20 minutes out of every hour -- and you can alternate heat with ice to see which one makes you feel better. For me, heat worked the best.

As for stretching, you should stretch your entire backside -- including hamstrings and calves, and the hip flexors which are attached to your low back. Be gentle with it.

When I hurt my back I didn't seek any medical attention. I took Ibuprofen around the clock for about a week or 10 days. Had I not improved by then, I would've made an appointment. I applied heat, then stretched, several times a day. Back pain like this can last for several weeks so don't be too alarmed. That said, I hope you're feeling better soon.

Thanks all for the advice! I wish I had a way to ice my back here at work. I'll have to wait 'til I get home, I guess. I do have ibuprofen here, so I'll start with that. If the chiro doesn't help, I'll look into seeing a PT - I doubt I could get in to see one very quickly, though.

Michele, did you rest completely (from exercise, other than stretching) during the 2 weeks you had back pain? I don't wanna rest! *throws tantrum*

Michele, did you rest completely (from exercise, other than stretching) during the 2 weeks you had back pain? I don't wanna rest! *throws tantrum*

Well, I've been known to take rest weeks just because :p

I actually used my elliptical during this time. I think the idea of complete rest is getting to be old school. I would consider doing very light, no impact cardio -- walking or an elliptical. I think exercise warms and massages the muscles and helps them relax. Give it a try and judge for yourself. If it produces more pain then stop immediately.

Well, I don't have an elliptical, so that's out. I have a treadmill, though, so I could probably do some walking. I do find that it seems to feel better when I get up from my desk and walk around here at work.

Wait a minute... this means I probably shouldn't play Wii. NOOOOOOO!!!!! *falls on floor in a fit of sobbing*

I'm so mature. :p

It sounds like a pinched nerve, which I've had many, many of in my time.
It results from two of your vertebrae clamping down on top of each other, and pinching the nerve that's in between them. It's often exacerbated by the muscle being too tense, and holding the vertabrae in the clamped position.

Heat should help to release the muscle, and thus the pinch.
If you're going to see a chiro, a simple adjustment should get it to release.

If this doesn't work, it may be something more serious.
But in all the times that I've had this issue in all kinds of places in my neck and back, I've continued with my workouts without issue. Just a little discomfort during certain things that may tweak the pain.

>Well, I don't have an elliptical, so that's out. I have a
>treadmill, though, so I could probably do some walking. I do
>find that it seems to feel better when I get up from my desk
>and walk around here at work.
>
>Wait a minute... this means I probably shouldn't play Wii.
>NOOOOOOO!!!!! *falls on floor in a fit of sobbing*
>
>I'm so mature. :p

Definitely no Wii, young lady! Ibuprofen, heat, stretch, and non-impact cardio -- that's my prescription. Now do this and call me in a week :7

Does your chiro do myofascial(sp) release or have someone in his/her office that does it? I had muscle spasms so bad once that my chiro couldn't adjust me. He had me go to his massage therapist first.

I'd also hold off on the ice/heat just yet. I also agree that stretching some other areas of the body might also help.

Hope your appointment helps.

>Definitely no Wii, young lady! Ibuprofen, heat, stretch, and
>non-impact cardio -- that's my prescription. Now do this and
>call me in a week :7

Yes Dr. Michele!!! ;) Oh, and can your prescription also include chocolate chip cookies???? :D

Gayle, yes, my chiro does myfascial release when it's needed, and he has a massage therapist on staff as well. So someone should be able to help me, I hope! :)

>Yes Dr. Michele!!! ;) Oh, and can your prescription also
>include chocolate chip cookies???? :D

But of course. after all, you really shouldn't take Ibuprofen on an empty stomach! :7

Hey Em,
I'm sorry to hear you're in pain, dahling. :( I don't know if you remember, but almost two weeks ago to the day I did the exact same thing to my back during Imax 2. It was so painful--lower back on the left side. I went to a walk-in clinic and the Dr. said I had pulled a ligament and he drugged me up. I bought a bunch of heating pads from CVS and I swear to you---I was good as new the next morning. It totally worked itself out. I even did heavy legs the next day! Hopefully your problem is exactly the same as mine. Don't fret too much just yet. I was in serious, serious pain that day but by nightime it was much better and it was completely gone the next day. Massage the heck out of it, take some ibuprofen, ice it, heat it, and get some rest tonight. Hopefully you'll have the same luck I did.

I'll be thinking about ya!!! Feel better!

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

Hope this post finds you feeling better! I have the lower back thing going on all the time, its awful. So I know how horrid that pain can be.

Something to remember, at least from my experience.

I once jumped into the truck and twisted a funny way. Felt the twinge and just took it easy the remainder of the day.

The next morning I bent down to tie my shoes and "lost my back". Ended up screaming all the way to the emergency room and literally streamed tears down my cheeks (those on my face}( ) until they finally let me go ahead of the others waiting.

Got a shot (freakin' nurse hit a nerve and I felt the needle in my back for half an hour) and finally was able to stop "crying".

Wow that was an experience and about 10 years ago. Have never been the same.

My advice: If ever you feel like it is a bit tight, ice ice ice (I just lay ontop of it) and then after a few days stretch and heat until you no longer feel it. Also, as you mentioned, changing positions from standing to sitting to lying down (when possible) works pretty well. I can tell pretty much when it will have a "problem" cuz it gets kinda sore.

Just things to keep in mind but only my .02 from my own experience.

P.S. I am very sympathetic whenever one of the guys at work hurts their back now. ;)

Get a copy of "Pain Free" by Pete Egoscue. His Egoscue Method truly works. It is not a treament but a cure. The downside is it takes about 15-20 mins/day using his e-sises (similar to yoga movements) until your body returns to its original design which is head/hips/shoulders in a straight line. Visit egoscue.com. Good luck!!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.