back pain and workouts

kathie

Hi Cathe. I have a herniated disc in my lower back, which causes pain down the back of my right leg. I am under an MDs care, and have seen a physical therapist. Basically I am free to do whatever activity I want that doesn't produce the burning leg pain. Seems the only thing that does not cause pain is the step. Running, biking, and believe it or not even swimming causes pain. I love to do the step, but I'm worried about my thighs getting too big by doing this exclusively. I'm not overwt. (5'7", 120lbs), but I do tend to gain in my thighs. Is there a way to arrange your different step tapes so that I am getting some sort of varied workout? Does step height have any impact on building big thighs? Thanks for your input!

step aerobics

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Dec-14-99 AT 10:05PM (EST)</font></center>

Hi Kathie! It may be helpful for you to know that if genetically your legs are prone to putting on a little size, then this most likely will occur from all activities that place high demands on your leg muscles(not just step aerobics). However, to many it may seem that step aerobics brings it on more noticeably than other activities because of the heavy demands placed on the glute and upper thigh area.

If step is truly the only form of aerobics that you will be able to do(and since you have your doctor's approval), then I strongly recommend doing it no more than three times per week NON-CONSECUTIVELY and also doing it on a lower step height of about 6 inches. Also, be sure to limit the amount of power moves you put into the routines.

Although these recommendations will help to prevent a possible increase in leg size, they will more importantly, help to ward off potential injury due to the lack of cross training.

As for which of my tapes to use for varied workouts, I would recommend doing the tougher ones(such as Intervalmax, Bodymax, MIC, Step Works and Step Fit---if suitable for your back) once a week and the easier ones(Step Heat, Step Jam, Powermax, Stepmax, Mega Step Blast) two times per week. If you find that you can handle doing the tougher tapes twice a week, then ease into doing it at a gradual pace and remember to put a few days between these tougher workouts(for your backs sake). Good Luck and take care of yourself!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.