Baby's Heartbeat for the first time!

KJT

Cathlete
My husband and I got to hear the baby's heartbeat for the first time today at the doctor's! All I can say is what an incredible experience this is! I am 12 and a half weeks now and am pleased to be moving out of the first trimester.

I am 38 and have been struggling about what type of testing to take advantage of. I'm curious as to what others' experience is/was regarding this issue. We talked with the doctor today about first doing the triple screen and then going from there based on what the results are...any shared experience is appreciated!

On the exercise front--I am NOT motivated to do my strength training workouts and have been blowing them off!!!! AND I have noticed that I am losing muscle tone in my legs!!! What kinds of strenghth training are others doing? Using tapes? Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks for listening!

Hi and Congratulations! Hearing your baby's heartbeat is probably one of the most relieving and exciting emotional pregnancy experiences you'll ever have (outside of your delivery day).

As far as testing, my doctor suggested that because of my age and the wonderful credentials of the hospital and staff, to go right for the amnio. He felt this ways since the other tests are not 100% accurate and in many cases even show false positive readings (which put the mom-to-be under a great deal of unnecessary stress until further testing is done). I'm simply passing on information and not trying to sway you one way or another. I think there will always be two ways to look at any situation.

When you are pregnant you will obviously need to modify all of your workouts on a daily basis. As far as leg workouts are concerned, you can still do all of your regular exercises (squats, lunges,leg lifts etc.)just be sure to keep your weight moderate and aim more for muscular endurance vs strength. In other words longer reps with a moderate weight as opposed to short reps with heavy weight. As your body takes on a new shape, your center of gravity will shift causing you to lighten your weights (or use no weight at all), change how you perform the exercises, and/or eliminate doing certain exercises all together.

Please browse the forum for additional questions that others have had. You will learn a lot about exercise modifications, books to read, receive moral support, and more. Sheila Watkins is our pre-natal fitness expert. Feel free to post her a question if you ever need to. I also will be happy to help you out in any way that I can. Take care!

Thanks, Cathe for the response. I appreciate you sharing with me your experience regarding testing as I do find it helpful to hear how others made their decisions.

Also, thanks for the reminder about the importance of modifying my leg workouts and to move to endurance workouts--I think I just have it stuck in my head that I need to be lifting heavy to keep my tone, so if I can't lift heavy, why bother! I know that is faulty thinking and that the goal here is to maintain and just be healthy and feel good...so it has helped me to hear your wisdom and experience on this. thanks, again!

I'm so happy that you got to hear the heartbeat. Was the doctor able to detect it right away? Hubby and I also heard ours for the first time 2 weeks ago, and I know with me, it took a little bit of roaming before she picked it up and it was a little nerve-wracking. But isn't it a joyous, emotional relief to hear it?!
I'm in the same boat as far as wondering what tests to take; Cathe, your post was very helpful to me too and I've been cruising the forum for other tips.
And as far as lower body strength....I had to stop doing my Firm Tough Tape because my knees seem to be cracking a lot more lately. And, quite honestly, I just couldn't make it through all those dips and lunges anymore. I actually found my old copy of Cathe's "Rock Bottoms" tape (now *there's* a find)! I'ts been years since I've done it, so I'm going to take a look at it at some point and see if it'll work for me at this stage :)
Take Care!
--Christine

Thanks for the note! The doctor was able to pick up the heartbeat right away, which really surprised me because I had read that it may take a few minutes to find it and not to panic. Hearing the heartbeat has made this all the more "real" for us.

I have been able to do MIS, but I'm with you on Firm Tough Tape--can't do that one anymore! I'm going to try Powerflex, too and see how that tape feels. PS Legs may still be okay to do if I eliminate the leg presses and the sit and stands. I have been able to do Karen voight's Strong and Smooth Moves and I really enjoy it, but it just doesn't feel like it is enough of a lower body work out for me. I am going to start doing more "floorwork" for inner and outer thighs using PS Legs. Now, I just need to get movitated with all these ideas and do them!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.