Baby is transverse :(

L

lmn

Hi Everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone has any advice for me. I found out last week at my 35 week check-up that my baby is lying transverse, (horizonal), and that the baby was measuring 7 lbs already...Yikes! I was very upset because the baby had been head-down for quite some time and then turned just recently. Plus, I am sure that the estimated size of the baby will not make it very easy for the baby to turn. I am scheduled to go back for another ultrasound a week from today when I will be 37 weeks. My doctor said that if the baby is still transverse, then we will talk about doing a version - which I've heard can be very painful and not very successful.

I have become obsessed with trying to figure out if the baby has turned yet. (And I think the answer is no.) I have tried doing some of the exercises such as pelvic tilts and propping my hips up on pillows while lying flat for 10 minutes or so, but I don't know if that is just a waste of time.

Bottom line is that I am terrified of having a c-section for many reasons: the fact that it is major surgery, the recovery, trying to breastfeed, and what my body will look like afterward. (I have a 3 year old that I delivered vaginally and I was quite happy with that recovery, etc.)

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions on what I could do to help encourage the baby to turn.

Thanks!!
Laura
edd 5-17-00

Mine was transverse & turned right before c-section

My (now 2-year-old) daughter turned transverse at 38 weeks. I had several friends who had failed versions, so I was nervous about that. Plus, the doctor didn't think it would work anyway. I went in for the pre-op appointment, and lo and behold, she had turned around on her own, and wound up being 12 days overdue. Good luck!

Transverse baby

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Apr-19-00 AT 07:30PM (EST)</font></center>

Hi Laura,
One of my kids was transverse and I had a C-section. My niece was also transverse and the doctor didn't even try to turn her - just scheduled a C-section. I do know some people whose doctors tried to turn the babies successfully, though.
I do want to tell you, though, that I had a C-Section with my second pregnancy and loved it. My first delivery was like a textbook vaginal delivery - it went perfectly. I was absolutely terrified of the idea of having a C-Section during my second pregnancy. I wound up having an emergency C-Section and I preferred it over the vaginal delivery. If your baby doesn't turn and you have a scheduled C-section there will be some benefits. You will know exactly when your baby will arrive - so you can arrange for child care for your older child, get your house clean, laundry done, etc. Also, you won't be exhausted from labor and delivery. I felt that my recovery was quicker with the C-Section than it was from the vaginal delivery. I honestly didn't notice any difference with breastfeeding either, but you can use different positions or special pillows to keep the baby off of your incision.
Sorry I don't have any advice on how to turn that baby, but I wanted to ease your mind a little about the C-section possibility.
Take care!
Erica

Ditto on the c-section

I had 2 sections and the second was by preference. Ditto on everything Erica said -- it was such a relief not to have to worry about when the baby would come, who would watch my son, who would feed the dogs, which day would be my last day at work before starting maternity leave ...

I am a strong woman and tend to recover quickly in general, but I found that I had more energy after my c-sections than many of my girlfriends with vaginal deliveries. I was up and walking around within a few hours, out of the hospital within 48 hours and pretty much doing normal stuff (no heavy lifting) within 5 to 7 days. No episiotomy, no tearing, no painful sitting.

Honestly, the many hours of labor I went through before we finally went to the c-section were much tougher on me than the surgery. That part was a relief. And I ended up with 2 healthy babies... well actually, baby #2 had some distress, but it was due to a birth defect and that's another story.

So I can't help you on the transverse stuff, but I wanted to let you know that I too once considered a c-section to be a horrible fate and now, I'd pick it over vaginal every time!

Baby turning

My baby wasn't transverse but she was breech .....I think I was 37 weeks then. She ended up turning around at 38 weeks. I was so scared because I had delivered 2 babies vaginally and didn't want a c-section. I obessed about for days and then we discovered she turned around. Thank god too because I had to get induced due to low amnio fluid so she was delivered at 38 weeks....Hang in there....there is still time for the baby to move.
MichelleP

Anything can happen.

My first was breech at 35-36 weeks, and turned. I expect he must have been around 7 lb, as he was 8lb 10oz when he was born (quite a bit later at 10 days late). I think I did everything they ever mention in books, but I think he turned in my sleep. I swear I never felt it. My second was moving around a lot- he always was head down for my appointments, but would flip back during the week. I had fears he would decide to be born during a flip day, but didn't.
I also have a friend who went in for a version, and she said it was no problem. If you can, try to find a Dr. with good success at it- from what I have heard, some are better than others. Anyway, good luck.

Linda

Transverse

My younger son was transverse also. I think the doctor turnes him about 6 times during my 4 hour labor. Eventually, he came out the correct way without a c-sect and without an episotomy. Good luck. I am sure everything will go well for you.

Hi Laura!

Just in case your doctor tries a version, I can describe to you what to expect. I had one (unsuccessful). It is quite painful but no worse than labor. You can breathe through it with your labor breathing. The doctor will usually exert pressure on the baby for about 60 to 90 seconds at a time. Like I said it's quite painful BUT you know it's only going to last that long (kinda like an individual contraction). Then they pause and try again. My doc gives it four tries and that's it. Most docs do three or four. So don't be too nervous about it. Yeah it hurts, but it is of far shorter duration than labor!

About C-sections, I had two vaginal births and a C-section and I can say that a C-section is not the end of the world. I can't agree with those who say a C-section is EASIER, at least in my case it definitely was NOT, but it wasn't the end of the world either. The worst thing is having other kids at home who need to cuddle and be picked up and you just can't do it! I had a 20 month old at home when I had my C-section and that was very hard. Hopefully a 3 year old will be able to understand that you can't pick her up, and able to crawl into your lap while you're sitting by herself for cuddling time (with a pillow over your incision of course!!). I had labored all the way to 10 cm before I had my C-section, so maybe that's why my perception is that C-sections aren't so easy. I was scheduled for my C-section on a Monday (baby was breech) and ended up going into labor the Friday before. A C-section w/o labor might just really BE easier than vaginal, I don't know. . .

Anyway, I'm ranbling, point is, you'll be fine if your doc tries a version and a C-section will turn out OK too. It's far harder to worry about it ahead of time than to actually experience it. I wish you the best. I'm sure you're getting close to the point where you just want to have the baby even if he has to crawl out through your NOSE!! That last month of pregnancy can feel pretty desperate!!

Thanks Everyone!

I just wanted to thank you all SO much for sharing your advice/experiences with me. It has actually helped to calm me down a little bit. I am a little less frightened about a c-section, and a little more hopeful that this baby may still turn around. I will definitely keep you posted and let you know what I find out at my ultrasound on Wednesday.

Thanks again,
Laura

P.S. My husband thanks you all too because I've been driving him crazy!! :)

One More!

I also had a child both ways and I'm telling you that my C-section was lots easier. No labor involved and as far as the incision goes, it was just such a relief to have that little one here finally, that it really did not affect me that much.(& I am the BIGGEST baby when it comes to pain!) Just don't let anyone get you laughing hard at anything!! You'll have to hold yourself. It will all be worth it when you see that LITTLE MIRACLE in your arms!!! Keep us posted!

Hi Laura!

I don't have an experience to share with you but I wanted to let you know that I was thinking about you. I have asked around about your situation and I don't have any new information to post other than what was already posted here(thanks everyone). The strongest feedback that I heard regarding a version was that it depends on the doctor. Some supposedley are very, very, good at doing this successfully. Perhaps Sheila has more information or a story to share with you on this. In case she misses this post, you can email her too.

I must say that I think its wonderful how everyone pulls together and supports one another. After reading all of these posts, you all even had me more relaxed (should I ever encounter a situation like this one day).

Best of luck to you Laura. I hope the baby turns for you.

Mine turned

I am also 35 weeks and my baby was transverse until just recently. I was really concerned about this as well and my doctor discussed version with me. She also told me that the baby can definitely turn over as late as right before delivery and urged me not to resign myself to a c-section or even a version.
Now he has turned over after months of breech and then transverse lying (which feels kind of creepy, doesn't it?).
My doctor told me that versions are almost always safe and that normally the doctor has another doctor there to assist in case an emergency c-section is warranted, but she assured me it's very rare and mom and baby almost always come through it fine. She also told me that they have a very high success rate. But mine does not like to do c-sections and her rate is very low (8 percent). Have you talked to your doctor about her/his philosophy on that?
Good luck to you...
Sara

Transverse position, versions and C-Sections

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Apr-23-00 AT 10:30PM (EST)</font></center>

Hi Laura,

Sorry that I haven't responded sooner. I have been out of town for the past week. As for your questions........ Everyone that has responded about versions has been right so far as to their success. I have had many clients in the past 12 years who have had versions. For every successful one there has been an unsuccessful one. It does depend somewhat on the skill of the physician, but a lot has to do with the baby. I have had clients who had successful versions only to have the baby go back into the same position a few hours after the procedure. I have also had clients whose versions were unsuccessful and their babies later turned on their own.

I will tell you that if you wind up with a C-Section your recovery will be much quicker because you are an exerciser. Also, if you have a C-section and are breastfeeding, the football hold will be the easiest position to work with in the beginning.

My thoughts will be with you. Please keep us posted. We're all pulling for you and your little one.

Sheila

Good News...

Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to share the good news that yesterday at my ultra sound, the baby was head-down!! Woohooo! I was so happy. Hopefully the little one will stay this way for the remaining few weeks. Thanks again for all of you positive thoughts and encouragement!

:) Laura

Oh Laura!!

We are sooo happy for you! Good Luck & keep us in touch with what is going on!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.