Baby Esstentials..

wonderwoman

Cathlete
Okay I'm feeling a bit over whelmed because I dont know what to buy for my baby's arrival in August. You would think with this being my 3rd baby I would know but some reason I'm stumped. My youngest is 5 so they have come out with some new things since them and I really just dont remember.
I have a crib set that was my 5 year old which is in great condition. I know I need a new infant carseat but should I get the whole travel system that comes with the stroller or just get the stroller base contraption that the car seat snaps into?

Now as far as swings and bouncy chair things do I get both or just the a swing?
Sorry if I sound crazy but I need some help here ladies. I'm not having a baby shower so I dont want to buy anything that I dont really need. Plus my house is really not that big and I hate clutter. My home is only 1600sq. So for me less is best!

Thanks ladies have a great weekend.

I had the travel system for DS, and I won't be using it again for DD. I found that the stroller was really cumbersome after we were done using the carseat with it. We had an Eddie Bauer system. We now have a Quinny, and that's what we'll be using for a stroller (it has a bassinet attachment for when they're THAT little). We'll just use the old EB carseat, since that works fine. I think other models work well there, so if you're starting from scratch, it may not be a bad way to go.

For the swing, with DS, we had a swing that doubled as a bouncy chair. Graco, I think. You could take detatch it from the swing and use it on the floor. We used it as a chair more than a swing.
For DD (coming in August), we'll just have bouncy chairs. DS hated the swing, so we wound up tossing it. Since I never used one for him, I really have no idea HOW or WHEN to use one, and don't see a need for it. If anything, my opinion is that it causes more drama then necessary if your little one gets too used to napping in it.
Just my 2 cents.

Hmmmm, more options to toss at you!

I didn't have a "travel system." I had a Peg Perego infant car seat that I used for both my kids (ages 4 and 8 months). I also had a Peg stroller (purchased separately), but for my car, I only used the Snap N Go stroller frame. You just pop the infant car seat on, put the strap on, and off you go! LOVED that thing!! Lightweight, huge basket, and so convenient.

If you are able to borrow any equipment from a friend -- just to see what your baby likes -- I think that's the way to go. We used a vibrating seat with both kids (Fisher Price infant seat to toddler rocker). Instead of the big floor swing, I used a travel swing for both (also by Fisher Price). It could sit on the floor, a table or the counter, and you could take it with you.

You can find some of these things at BJ's and Costco too, for a bit cheaper. Check stores and online!

since you're on the cathe forums, you probably already have this, but you need to have a stability ball! With both of my kids, bouncing on the ball was one of the ONLY things that would settle them down and help them sleep when they were newborns. It would completely put my crabby, colicky, son right into a trance.

Probably not the kind of suggestion you were looking for, but the stability ball was a lifesaver in our house.

Goodmorning ladies.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.
Pennstater- I've decided on the snap and go frame. After a trip to babiesrus this weekend I was able to put the 2 side by side and did find the travel system way too big and bulky for me. I did have an Eddie Bauer travel system, for DD who now 5 and it was ok but at that time I didnt know the snap and go existed. Thanks.

LisaMarie-A stability ball? Yes, I do have one but how would you position the baby on it. I was just thinking of getting rid of it because I really dont use it and it's such an eye sore when you come downstairs to my basement thats the first thing you would see. Even when I did STS I didnt use it.

Melimcn-I had both a bouncy/vibrating chair and a swing for DD when she was a infant. I did use them both but I found the swing to be a life saver. When I wanted to workout I would put her in there and she would stay so quiet and watch me bounce around. It was great. I did see this smaller travel swing that is easier to move around the house compared to the swings they have now which are beautiful but also cadillac-ish if you know what I mean.

Anyway ladies thanks alot!

For the stability ball, I would sit on it holding the baby and just bounce. Each of my babies preferred a different hold. The bounce was more rhythmic than standing and bouncing. It really relaxed them and put them to sleep far quicker than rocking or anything else. Since you already have a stability ball, I really would keep it around for a little while longer. Maybe just deflate it until the baby arrives?? I also used the stability ball during my labor. I rocked back and forth on it during contractions.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.