Baby Eczema--Help!

Boilergal

Cathlete
My DD is about to turn 23 months old and has baby Eczema. Have any of you found an effective over the counter treatment? Her pediatrician said to apply hydrocotisone (Sp?) cream and body cream and that should do the trick, but so far, not so much. It doesn't seem to bother her--she never scratches it, thank goodness, but it cant' be comfortable. She's got spots on her ankles, legs, butt and elbow, and I would like to try and clear it up at home before going to the dermatologist for a prescription...

So if any of you have experience with this, I would love to hear what creams worked...

Thanks!

Slather her up in Aquaphor. It's goopy, but it works. Do that two to three times per day. Use dove (bar)soap, not baby soap. Keep the baths short, no more than 10 mins. Pat her dry lightly and slather her up in Aquaphor within three minutes of getting out of the water.

Catherine,

Thank you so much! I will go to CVS at lunch today and get both Dove and the Aquaphor and hope it works. She loves baths and takes loooooooooooong ones and DH insists on using bubble bath (Aveno) but I think that's part of the problem. So thanks for your input! :)

Yes, use aquaphor! We buy it by the tub in winter. My pediatrician also has sample baskets in the office so I pick one up for my purse.

I've heard that baby eczema can actually be an allergic reaction to gluten/wheat. A friend of mine checked into this becuase of her DDs severe eczema and they discovered her DD actually has celiac. They took away the gluten/wheat and no more eczema. HTH.

There is an Aveeno that you can put in the bathtub and also an Aveeno lotion that is great for Eczema! My son has had it since he was around 18 months. But I have found that is also a great treament as well as the Aquaphor.

Those are great tips. Also, my DD gets it only when she has a cold or is on antibiotics - just wanted to know that it happens that way, too. Good luck.

I've heard that baby eczema can actually be an allergic reaction to gluten/wheat. A friend of mine checked into this becuase of her DDs severe eczema and they discovered her DD actually has celiac. They took away the gluten/wheat and no more eczema. HTH.

I think gluten/wheat allergies are a lot more common than realized.

Baby Eczema

My DD is about to turn 23 months old and has baby Eczema. Have any of you found an effective over the counter treatment? Her pediatrician said to apply hydrocotisone (Sp?) cream and body cream and that should do the trick, but so far, not so much. It doesn't seem to bother her--she never scratches it, thank goodness, but it cant' be comfortable. She's got spots on her ankles, legs, butt and elbow, and I would like to try and clear it up at home before going to the dermatologist for a prescription...

So if any of you have experience with this, I would love to hear what creams worked...

Thanks!

Hi,

My son has had eczema since he was a baby his now 12. His been using the Aveeno for eczema and soaks in oatmeal bath also by aveeno. Once he gets flare ups the only thing that works is prescription. You might want to have your baby tested for allergies. We finanally got fed up and requested that he get tested for allergies and found that he was extreamely allergic to alot of stuff especially bermuda grass. Good luck!

Lourdes

My son has eczema (he is 20 months) I use aveeno body wash and lotion on him and also hydrocortizone (spelling?) his doctor told me to get the ointment(vaseoline like) instead of cream. It has helped a lot but she gave me a prescription to use if he is really uncomfortable. It really works. Also I use aquafor, love that stuff!
Tracy

Thanks, everyone, for the good advice. I'll give the aquafor a shot and if I see no improvement, I'll take DD to a dermatologist or allergist to get some testing done. But I really appreciate you all taking the time to give me some advice--THANK YOU!! :)

Hi!!

My son is now 7 but was diagnosed with eczema as an infant. He was also allergic to MANY foods and later devolped asthma. This is not ALWAYS the case, but eczema is on a triad (3) of disorders that go hand in hand. The food allergies and asthma are the other 2
The reason I include these is because any baby diagnosed before age 3 needs an allergy work up. Eczema is an ITCH that rashes NOT a rash that itches. I defer to Catherine here being in dermatlogy, but besides the rash and itchiness they are also missing the protective moisture barrier to their skin. Short baths, immediate Eucerin or Aquaphor and cotton clothing that breathes. Keep nails short so they don't get a secondary infection and use the RX cortisone sparingly when needed!!!
Sorry for the rant but I have lived with this for 7 years and have had good times and some really yucky times.

Good Luck to all with this
elliemom :D

I agree about the short baths - long ones will dry her skin out more. And try to do them every other day instead of every day. Cetaphil is good to use instead of soap.

Aquaphor made my dd's skin worse. We have never found a moisturizer that didn't irritate her skin. She does have allergies, so we avoid allergenic foods but still has eczema flare-ups at times.

Good luck!

Erica

I was going to say something similar to Elliemom. My DD has been in an eczema study for 4 1/2 years. The reason for the study is mainly the relation to infant eczema and asthma! I never knew that :confused: Our dermatologist gives us big tubs of Aquaphor all the time -- great stuff!

Good luck :)

oh, my, this question brings up some very traumatic times for me as both of my children suffered from eczema. And, indeed it is one leg of a triad - eczema, asthma and allergies - but, not aways.

We tried every lotion made. We even got some stuff from overseas. I was all over the internet looking for solutions/help.

I agree about getting your child tested for allergies. I think at that young age a blood test can be more accurate than at a later age. When the child is older a skin test is necessary.

Be very sparing with the hydrocortisone, especially if applied on the face.

Thank the good Lord that they both outgrew the eczema, but they both still have allergies and asthma.

My DD has eczema and the only thing that keeps it under control is Aquaphor used religiously! My dermatologist also recommended a cleanser made by Aquaphor but I've never seen it in any stores.

I'd suggest seeing an alergist, too. My daughter is allergic to dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, soy and eggs so once ALL that was eliminated from her diet, things got much better!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.