Baby carrier recommendations

jogger7474

Cathlete
Hi everyone! My six week postpartum appointment is next Tuesday, and once I get the green light from my OB, I am going to start working out again, and I will join the postpartum checkin.

So far, I've tried the Snugli Front & Back Pack Carrier, and I don't like it very much because of all the buckles and straps.
I've also tried the Ultimate Baby Wrap, and I'm not too fond of that either. Is there a trick to quickly putting it on without all the tying?
I have heard good things about Baby Bjorn. However, are they worth the expense?

Thanks very much in advance!

I loved my Baby Bjorn. I didn't have it for my first 3 kids, but used it for my 4th. I probably didn't use it enough to justify the expense, but I found it much easier to use than other carriers and really enjoyed having it.

I used a sling with one of my older kids and that worked well also.

Good luck!

Erica

Baby Bjorn is worth every penny...especially if you may have more. ;) If you go to a local store, you can always return it if you decide you hate it. :D LOVE MINE!!!!

**Melanie**
28lbs lost 5lbs to go

Jadon born 11/23/05
Justin born 1/17/04
Jory born 4/9/94
" Take care of your body like it will last a lifetime. Take care of your soul like it will last for eternity"

I have a baby bjorn and didn't use it that much for either of my babies. So, for me it wasn't worth even the $50 I paid for a new one on ebay. That is just my experience. If you can find one really cheap, then it might be worth it.

Yes, the baby bjorn is worth it! I love mine! The wide straps are so much more comfortable than other carriers and I like how the baby is right up against your chest with nothing in between. You can also nurse while wearing it and walking around. It's really easy to get on and off too. Now that I have my third baby I've been using it a lot around the house when she wants to be held and I need to make my boys dinner or something. Good luck,

Courtney

I have several friends all with 6+ babies that SWEAR by the Ergo Carrier. Check out on the internet. They claim it's not like ANY of the others....takes the "strain" off your back.

Briee

Thank you very much for all of the recommendations, they are highly appreciated. :)

I have another related question: Have any of you been able to do any kind of aerobic workout (for example: step, treadmill, elliptical) while wearing a Baby Bjorn or other baby carrier? A reviewer of the Baby Bjorn Active Carrier on epinions.com said were able to use it on a treadmill and an elliptical:
http://www.epinions.com/pr-Baby_Bjorn_Active_Carrier_Baby_Carrier/display_~reviews

Would the bounce factor be too much? My son is almost six weeks old and he has very good neck strength already, but I still want to be very cautious about it.

only walking IMO is safe - you have to maintain balance and I don't think you could do that on those activities.

I like to do Imax III while wearing the baby and finish up with some pikes on the ball. Sometimes their tummy gets a little upset, but other than that it works for me.}( }( }( }(

Briee (okay...I just couldn't resist;) ;) )

I lost my balance doing pikes on the ball while wearing the baby. He's just fine, but his mom is a little bruised. :+

I've used it on the elliptical (and it worked well), but think I would go flying off a treadmill. That's just me- kind of a klutz. k

I love my Baby Bjorn too! It is the only carrier my son likes and since he HATES his car seat, the Bjorn is a saviour for shopping. I got mine off of ebay for $24 and it was practically new.

I could not do anything besides walk with him. The bounce factor was way too much for me. Now he is too darn heavy to do anything else besides walk in it.

I borrowed a friends baby bjorn for my 3rd child. It was great and if you're having more kids, I would definitely invest in it. If I could go back I would have also invested in the Medela Pump In Style too.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.